Upcoming Yes archival release: "Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy Two"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I'm not sure which I would buy..... The box or the 2 cd set. If the 2 cd set contained all of the tracks played across the various shows I would probably go for it.

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

2 "LP"? Where did you get that? I thought it wasn't out yet.

3. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lookie what just popped up on Amazon...

[​IMG]

4. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

awesome!

5. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Smartin62, zen and Scott Wheeler like this.
  6. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

I would love for this to be from multi-track tapes. I loved the Band of the 70's. They made such great music from that period.

7. whiskeyvengeance

Here's a pre-order page for the condensed two-disc version, Highlights from Seventy-Two.

Interesting blurb on that page as well with some none-too-specific information on the provenance of the recordings:

"Yes was firing on all cylinders in the fall of 1972. The prog-rock pioneers fifth studio album Close To The Edge was a smash success as audiences around the world packed arenas to see the legendary group perform. The band captured the magic of that tour on its first live album, Yessongs. Released in 1973, the triple-LP sold over a million copies and blew minds with Roger Dean s iconic artwork.

The band recently discovered recordings of seven complete concerts from the weeks leading up to the shows heard on Yessongs. The latest audio technology was used to restore the reel-to-reel recordings and bring out incredible sonic detail, creating an open, immediate sound that drops listeners right into the front row.

Rhino has assembled three new releases featuring previously unreleased music included on these newly discovered tapes. HIGHLIGHTS FROM SEVENTY-TWO includes 90 minutes of live recordings selected from various shows."

Also note the verbiage "seven complete concerts from the weeks leading up to the shows heard on Yessongs." That may be slightly inaccurate as the Ottawa show (from which Roundabout was taken for the LP) is included in the set.

jay.dee likes this.
  8. whiskeyvengeance

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  9. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

god i cant believe its happening, would be totally in if the cds sound good. or if the lp set sounds good. i hope its like a flat transfer or near flat transfer or whatever, but, it prob isnt.....:(

10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

90 minutes on two discs? Hope that is a typo... :sigh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

Any chance of a 5.1/hirez release on BluRay or DVD-A?

sallymae_hogsby and rstamberg like this.
  12. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Would definitely buy this. The big 3-lp album was a bit muddy.

13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Live Yes from '72 is basically a holy grail for me.

If this just milking old fans, then I say, "Milk on!"

14. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

"Reel-to-reel"? No multitracks then?

15. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Well, it only confirms the rumours that the box is going to focus exclusively on the Fall '72 Close to the Edge tour with Alan White on board, which will most likely yield this stable setlist across all shows:

Siberian Khatru
    I've Seen All Good People
    Mood For A Day
    Clap
    And You And I
    Heart Of The Sunrise
    Close To The Edge
    Wakeman Solo
    Roundabout
    Yours Is No Disgrace

If they include anything from December 72, we can count on the appearance of Starship Trooper too.

http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/dates.asp?qdec=1970#y1972

16. Scott Wheeler

"Focus?" Sound like they are releasing everything they have. They found tape of 7 shows and are releasing 7 shows. Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

17. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Where did you get this. I pre-ordered it from Amazon and it never shipped. It has since disappeared from the site.

18. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Judging by some earlier news (see the first page) they have more live goodies locked in the vault, including shows from Spring '72 tour with Bill Bruford.

19. Scott Wheeler

I just ordered it from Amazon and it is listed as in stock from several vendors. I just went with the low price from a high rated vendor. Go check!

20. Scott Wheeler

Do you mean this?
    "These rare recordings were discovered in 1998 when the company that provided flight cases for 1970s-era Yes’ tours came across a previously unnoticed cache of reels, stored away unnoticed for years. Included were shows at the Academy of Music in New York on February 19 and 23, 1972; Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island on February 25, 1972.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/notes-from-the-edge/the-lost-yes-tapes/10152498150035602

Academy of Music New York N.Y. February 19, 1972
    Academy of Music New York N.Y. February 23, 1972
    Brown University Providence of R.I February 25, 1972
    Knoxville November 15, 1972
    Toronto October 31, 1972
    Ottawa November 1, 1972"

I thought these were 6 of the 7 shows? :confused:

21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm not sure that completely new live recordings from a group's classic era priced this inexpensively per disc can ever be accurately described as milking. Obviously they could have split the concerts up and let you buy them one by one instead, but that might have made the entire project financially unviable.

jeffrey walsh and Scott Wheeler like this.
  22. Scott Wheeler

yeah I didn't event think twice about it. Just hope we get vinyl versions too. That would be a killer box!

23. whiskeyvengeance

It's hard to tell at this point. Could be that whoever wrote that copy doesn't know the difference between a 1/4" stereo mixdown and a 2-inch multitrack tape. Hopefully this gets clarified at some point, though.

24. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  25. Scott Wheeler

ah, that makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.