New Steven Wilson album in the making: "Hand. Cannot. Erase." 3/2/15

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you're looking to hear more Raven, there's always the demos and the instrumental version... on the Deluxe edition. Yeah I know. But I really enjoy them.

2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

And the stuff on the Drive Home EP.

Starwanderer likes this.
  3. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

I'm really digging this album. My god, Ninet really soars on Routine. Actually brought tears to my eyes.

Alex D likes this.
  4. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

How's Grace for Drowning? I've got it in my HDtracks shopping cart waiting for Tuesday's coupon...

I watched a live version of Anethetize (Porcupine Tree) on Youtube and it freakin rocked... think I'll order the disc. Speaking of, why does Amazon say 2012 for Fear - wasn't it released in '07? Is there a rerelease/remaster or something?

EDIT:
    Atlantic released it 4/24/2007, KScope rereleased it 7/17/2012.
    Anybody know the difference, if any?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm a big fan of that album.

Amperage and Starwanderer like this.
  6. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Has anybody downloaded the FLAC files that come with the vinyl.

I did and noticed that some of the tracks have been merged together. It is the same with the MP3 files, too.

Here is a picture from my player:

[​IMG]

Is it the same with the CD version? At least the official track listing has them all individually listed and individual timings.

1. First Regret (2.01)
    2. 3 Years Older (10.18)
    3. Hand Cannot Erase (4.13)
    4. Perfect Life (4.43)
    5. Routine (8.58)
    6. Home Invasion (6.24)
    7. Regret #9 (5.00)
    8. Transience (2.43)
    9. Ancestral (13.30)
    10. Happy Returns (6.00)
    11. Ascendant Here On…(1.54)

So, is the downloadable FLAC/MP3 album a unique "mastering" or something?

7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I don't think there's a unique mastering, but in case anyone is wondering, the cd is rated DR11.

rontoon likes this.
  8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

+1

dennis the menace and Amperage like this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

For what it's worth, it's the same as the MP3 files I received.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Same sound, just different distribution label.

Amperage likes this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

the credits list all instruments which were used on the recording..... can anyone explain what is FX and Ghostwriter VI ?

12. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

vonwegen likes this.
  13. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

FX : "effects"

14. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

He doesn't just endorse Ghostwriter. He helped create the samples and presets.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, he did almost all the sound work really.

JediJoker likes this.
  16. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

I have to say, I absolutely loved Raven..., but this new album may even be better. There is a more varied style and lots of ambient interludes. And yet the album still is full of the incredible dynamic shifts that Wilson is famous for. I do feel it is a more upbeat album than Raven... I also think it is an album that will continue to grow on you with repeated listenings. There is one point where he nearly lulls you to sleep and then he slams you with this intense blast that you're not expecting. I was completely blown away. Brilliant!

sassi, marblesmike and rontoon like this.
  17. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the 5.1 yet?

18. Kai

Kai New Member

Maybe so these tracks stay gapless even if your MP3 player does not support gapless?

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  19. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

His best work IMO.

20. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

Hope HDTracks hooks it up on or soon after release day!

oneway23 likes this.
  21. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Picked the album up today. I've got the Blu Ray ordered so I went for the CD/DVD version.

I loved Raven, I like his solo work but never felt he totally nailed a whole solo album apart from Raven. Regards Porcupine Tree I consider Fear Of A Blank Planet as their high mark again I found other albums patchy.

My gut reaction on this after a first listen is that it's trying to do too much and as such it's a pretty uneven listen. To qualify that I didn't like Raven off the bat so I obviously need to hear the album a lot more.

It's recorded very very well and there are moments of obvious quality but as a concept and a whole album I'm less sure. The concept drags, indeed I'm not sure it's a great idea as a long narrative. It's adventurous for sure, as is the music but when you hear the pop tinged Manics sound a like sitting next to longer prog based pieces it rather tastes like a fancy main course with something on the plate that shouldn't be there.

Of course time will tell but I liked the idea of this album and was excited to hear what SW would deliver next off the bat it sounds to me that it required a rethink, some editing and a bit more work needed done of the sequencing/flow of the record.

Quite happy to see how this one pans out over time but really not convinced off the bat......

22. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Finished listening to it for the first time and I have to say that I really really like this one. Love the story, the artwork is superb, the music is totally captivating and, in stark contrast with The Raven's retro prog sound, is totally 21st century (with a nice nod towards 70s Rush). What strikes me the most however is that for the first time SW's singing is really moving me. There is just a slight change in the way he sings but it is reaping major benefits as far as I am concerned.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

His singing is better than on Raven..... the best SW solo album!

marblesmike likes this.
  24. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Got a chance to hear this today and it is just flat-out amazing. I'll wait until I get a chance to digest it a little more, but my initial impression is that it is his best solo album by a comfortable margin. The 5-star reviews popping up all over are understandable.

marblesmike likes this.
  25. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

The more I listen, the better it gets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.