Yamaha introduces A-S801 Integrated Amp with DSD128 for $899

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Radiotron, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just get an outboard MC phono preamp. Personally, I have never bothered with MC. MM is good enough for me, even though most preamps I have owned over the years tend to support both MC and MM ...

o0OBillO0o likes this.
  2. moops

moops Senior Member

It's interesting that Marantz, Rotel and Yamaha all now offer affordable 2 channel integrateds with DACs onboard and they all use different ones ......

Marantz - Cirrus Logic
    Rotel - Wolfsen
    Yamaha - ESS Sabre

Opeth likes this.
  3. coopmv

They all want to differentiate their products. Incorporating an onboard DAC in an integrated amp appears to be the current trend, even McIntosh is doing the same. But what is the disadvantage of using an outboard DAC? :righton:

4. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

That is good news. It is really nice if you come home listening to a coo tune/file on your iPod and you can just switch on the amp and keep listening. Also no need to have the Mac(PC close to the amp - as long as it is in the same room you can just use BT to hear your music. Of course that only makes sense as long as the internal DAC inside the amp is up to the task. Musical Fidelity were among the first to add that feature on their big 2.600 Euro costing M6 DAC and reviewers couldn't believe how often they used the apt/x BT feature so that's definitely smething I really look out for in brand new electronics.
    Not that this had something to do with the topic here.
    I am just a sucker for new technologies and there is one thing I always miss is being able to play a Vinyl record AND record it directly to HD. So far the only Phonostage, that i knoiw of was the big BURMEESTER Phono Pre for 10 grand or so.
    Imagine my surprise to learn that the six blade knife/jack of all trades MERLIN offers exactly that; but takes it a step further. If you use the MM input of the MERLIN amp you get the digital equivalent ie a computer file via the digital output. Meaning you can just play your LP's , singles and at the same time store them without any more tweaking on you MAC/PC or USB stick - Amazing ! Something i need desperately since my MAC refuses to record files for whatever reasons..
    If I only had one room more to play music inside I would go get this new system - speakers that are not bound to be listened to in a stereo setting - anywhere you go you hear music in the same realism. Since the speakers are oval you can place them upwards or lying down -add that nice M1 Turntable (made by Music Hall for Musical fidelity and get 150 euro rabat, when you buy it togethr with the MERLIN. 650 with the Merlin 800 without..
    If you care here is a link..
    http://www.musicalfidelity.com/merlin/
    Now I will look at the YAMAHA website for that A-S 801 and see what it has to offer

5. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Nothing but you need more space, cables and electricity plus it costs a lot more. If you can get the same feature for free it is just a bonus. Think of an inbuild Phono Pre- Are outboard Phono Pre's better ? Not necessarily.
    An integrated amp is the centre of your sources, meaning you should be able to use it with all your sources. They got rid of the TAPE Input/Output and offered CD In firstt, then they got rid of the PHONO section. But now the trend is back. finally 90% of all music listeners have portable music playback devices be it a phone or a walkman/iPod(PONO etc. To run that you need a PC or MAC where you store your music. So that is a must nowadays and the industrie finally recognizes it.
    Most DAC's and/or Phono Pres build inside an Integrated are basic solutions. MM Phono instead of MM/MC etc. just a DAC and basic electronics around will do. If you want better quality either invest in outboard solutions or as a feature in High End Integrateds you can buy moduls with excelllent sound quality for a premium. PRIMARE offers a MM board for 500 Euro for their I22 and I33. They have bigger guns. Standalone DAC's and Network Players costing 2.650 Euro. http://www.primare.net/ ACCUPHASE , AVM and countless others offer the same modular options for their products..

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. coopmv

So where is this integrated amp made? I may grab one as an interim amp before I decide on my next amp. I owned a Kenwood integrated years ago ...

7. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Find one in a store and look at the back panel. It will say there where it's made. It also will probably say on the outside of the cardboard box.

8. coopmv

It is made in Malaysia and I found out online ...

It appears for a few Japanese audio electronics companies, Malaysia is the place where they have their higher-end models made. We all know where the low-end models are made.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  9. ggergm

Yamaha's Malaysian facility is a good one. They've owned it for decades and much of their gear is made there. I've heard people at Yamaha talk about multi-generational families that work there. Quality control is as good as in Japan. As a Yamaha dealer for years, generally their stuff just worked. When it didn't, it was most often a design flaw, not a manufacturing one.

10. coopmv

Sony is supposed to manufacture its ES line products in Malaysia as well. The cheap Sony line continues to be made in China. As such, Malaysia appears to be the new Japan where the higher-end products for a few Japanese audio companies are made. But watch out for some former high-end audio like Luxman, which is now owned by a Chinese company whose management is always known for relentless corner-cutting, ergo the same high price but much lower reliability ...

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Where do I hook up my signal processors ? I don't see any tape monitor inputs.

12. ggergm

Doesn't seem to have tape loops. It has two record outs but no way to monitor through.

Interestingly, their less expensive receivers have a Record Out selector, which would be perfect for you.

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yeap. I'm currently interested in the RS-500 at present.
    Would still have to audition it though. Sadly enough it's priced at U$ 1000 down here, which would buy me a way better one in the States.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.