Whitesnake "The Purple Album"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, lemme put it this way - I didn't find it unlistenable. I do surmise from listening to it that hearing him do it live WOULD be unlistenable. And the gritty, borderline Alice Cooper/AC/DC tone doesn't sound like Stormbringer is supposed to sound! But I've heard worse - there was a clip of Paul DiAnno singing old Maiden songs posted here a few months ago, and that was WAY worse!

2. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

Coverdale?
    He's still around?
    I thought he blow-dried himself to death sometime in the 90s.

jon9091, Rhett and Crungy like this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whitesnake released two of their best albums in the last 10 years...so your loss.

Ivand, Shak Cohen, Rocketdog and 4 others like this.
  4. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I agree about Tommy... But Paicey will be 67 this year and he still can play circles around most drummers, including Tommy, who's playing Paicey's parts here. No diss on Tommy, but he sounds "wrong" playing Paicey's parts... IMHO. I will not talk about the vocals.

zen and GodShifter like this.
  5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

You are kiddin', right? They must filed under "torture" by Geneva Convention!

Scott222C, JasonA and deus62 like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Good point about Ian Paice. I agree that Aldridge sounds off on these tunes, but trying to emulate IP is no easy task.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

That's what it sounds to me as well through my computer. It sounds like there are about nine people singing. :confused:

8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Coverdale - just go away, PLEASE!!!!

9. Curveboy

Not kidding at all...Good To Be Bad and Forevermore are both fantastic. I'd rate them higher than most of their 70's, 80's or 90's output.

10. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

I'd like to disagree. I hated both with a passion. Overproduced and in-your-face raw and/or loud. Clichéd, most of it. That's not my kind of Whitesnake.

But, if you like them, right on!
    I love tons of albums other people hate.
    In fact, I don't care, so you shouldn't (and probably don't) either.

Cheers!

Rhett likes this.
  11. Curveboy

I made a playlist of the original Purple tracks in anticipation of this release...it's odd, but I'm just noticing some of this Purple material isn't the best mixed...

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Coverdale made 2 good albums after Deep Purple.... the 77 solo albums. All others are okay with lot of fillers, incl. 1987.

13. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Except that for all intents and purposes that Whitesnake has always been David Coverdale, and, whomever he chose to have in the band.

That aside, it's really because of the name value. David's last solo album, Into The Light, would likely have sold far better had he released it under the Whitesnake banner, and musically, it easily could have been. I think he learned a lesson from that.

All that said, I had the same kind of "Really?" moment was this was first announced. But, being the Coverdale/Whitesnake fan I am, I'll still check it out.

Oh, and for whomever mentioned it, yes, the band will be touring behind this album.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I also liked both of those records. Forevermore felt like an album they would have released in the 80's. I enjoy that sound from these types of bands..I hated when they tried to be alternative/modern or whatever.

15. beansandcornbrea

beansandcornbrea Forum Resident

I agree completely. For all the trouble with Coverdale's voice, I'm glad he hasn't quit. Looking forward to this release.

16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Claus is this the first time in ages that I agree with you 100% or what?:p;)

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yepp, just listen his 77 recording Blind Man and his own cover on Ready An' Willing. The original blows away the cover!

supernaut likes this.
  18. zen

zen Senior Member

In the 40 years (ouch!) I've been hearing this music, I've never had a problem with the mixes.
    On occasion, I've read about the Burn album being a little shy bass wise, but isn't that what the bass knob is for on our receivers?
    Other than that, I need examples (curve) boy!

supernaut likes this.
  19. Curveboy

Stormbringer seems to be the best of the bunch...but the Burn tracks in particular sound like a rush job, and Come Taste The Band sounds a bit too sludgy for DP.

I've enjoyed a lot of this material for years too, but it just stuck me listening in this configuration. Doesn't mean I don't love the songs!

zen likes this.
  20. zen

zen Senior Member

That Metal Show | That Weekly Roundup: March 3rd, 2015 | VH1 Classic

Click ahead to 4:09...

Rocketdog, Curveboy and Timjosephuk like this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Oh, go start another Lou Reed thread.

22. Curveboy

Regarding the TMS clip;

Interesting point about DP not being as big in America; David has said he's been pleased with how the latest Whitesnake discs have sold in the US, so I wonder if people who aren't familiar with DP will just think this is nothing more than a new 'Snake disc?

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No, no! He needs to go start another Olivia newton John thread ;)

24. zen

zen Senior Member

Maybe; and I bet most of these U.S.A. fans will think it's the best Whitesnake album ever.

25. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I found it borderline unlistenable and shut it off after a couple mins. But then, I live my life right.

jon9091, GodShifter and curbach like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.