Newbie question regarding Debut Carbon USB and various styli

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike Halcomb, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Halcomb

Mike Halcomb Member Thread Starter

Hi, all! I'm a brand new poster. I have loved this site for a while but only just now needed to post. Well, I've entered the second level (after the first level of dusting off a nasty old turntable) of my vinyl listening life and got myself a Debut Carbon DC USB turntable. So far, I love it, although I have heard a little sibilance but definitely not anything to discourage me, especially since I think it's possible its mostly in my head. Lol

Well, here's where I need help. I had an acquitance come over so I could proudly show off my new turntable baby (it's name is Vera). This guy is supposedly big into audiophile stuff and proceeded to harsh my happy by telling me that the USB version was a poor choice because it isn't easily upgraded because of the built in preamp. Now, I'm dumb on a lot of this but have been extensively reading these boards to try to teach myself. Even after all this reading, I doubt I could tell you the difference between capacitance and a catapult, but I digress.

From what I see, the OM2 Blue and black are nicely reviewed cartridges that many Debut Carbon owners seem to really enjoy as a nice upgrade from the stock cartridge. My questions: would my built in preamp truly limit my ability to upgrade to a better cartridge in the future? Would I be better off returning (I still have a few days left in my return period) my turntable for the non-USB version and spending that money saved on an preamp? I have a cheapo preamp from a previous table but doubt it would let my table shine. The other issue is I hear that the OM2 red that comes with the non- USB version has mixed reviews and that concerns me. I'm starting to question my friend's knowledge on the subject so I thought I would consult you fine folks. Thank you all much! Any info you can give is greatly appreciated!

2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Which stylus does it come with? I wasn't impressed with the 2m Red, way too sibilant in my experience.
    Is it possible to bypass the pre-amp? Which amplifier are you using?

Mike Halcomb likes this.
  3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

The same cartridge will take the 2M Blue stylus which did reduce sibilance in my experience. I think this would be a pretty balanced level of kit. But that is about as far as I would go.

Mike Halcomb likes this.
  4. Mike Halcomb

Now this is where my ignorance might show through. The stylus my current USB version has is the Ortofon 10. As far as the amplifier, would that be my receiver? If so, it's an Onkyo 7.1.

As far as bypassing the preamp, I've done some research and it seems to point to no on that.

Thank you both for your responses!

5. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Sorry I just assumed the UK spec. Where are you?

I find the Debut Carbon to be fine, though I did go for the Esprit SB version. Which left nothing to upgrade! IMO the biggest step up this provided in sound quality is down to electronic speed control.

Initially I used the Phono input on the Pioneer AV amp but experienced high sibilance and even clipping.

The well reviewed, though low cost, Rega Fono Mini reduced the sibilance, eliminated clipping ignoring the general better quality of sound. I suspect this would also be an improvement on the one built in the USB turntable.

My dealer allowed me to try the 2M Blue, which cleared the remaining sibilance (a Decca 1960 Fauré Requiem being my bugbear). I was too impressed and ordered a 2M Bronze.

6. Mike Halcomb

I'm in the US. So would your suggestion to be to return the USB table and go the non USB route so I have the option to upgrade the preamp? Would the USB version that I currently have handle the upgrade to a 2m blue or bronze? Thank you!

7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Enjoy your new rig for a while. You have the future for upgraditis.

8. Mike Halcomb

That....actually is incredibly good advice. Thank you and I think I might be overthinking some of my concerns.

If I could ask another question of you all, how easily determinable is sibilance? Is it something that should be immediately stand out? That's a stupid question but let me explain. On my current debut carbon, I do seem to have some sssssssss issues but it's not an overly static-y problem. I'm not hearing a horrible amount but every now and then I notice it.

As far as the upgrade issue, so in your opinions, my current USB version with built in preamp would be able to have another better cartridge put on it in the future? Would it handle, say, an AT 440mla? Or a 2m black?

9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The OM line is well liked, I enjoyed the OM5e on my previous turntable. If you can't hear any shortcomings then I think stick with it for now, or swap for the above-mentioned Carbon if you feel the built in pre-amp is going to be a bottleneck. Depends if and how good the Onkyo phono stage is.

10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Id swap it since you do still have a few days. Why not, right? Otherwise, you may regret it for years to come.
    My Denon has a built in preamp, but I can shut mine off with a switch. Which is the path I take.

11. Mike Halcomb

Thank you, both! I appreciate the input and advice! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.