Best Fill For Speaker Stands

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mwheelerk, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Nope, not at all. They are the recommended fill for Skylan stands from the manufacturer.
    My Targets are sealed, and I've never heard from anyone who had a weevil infestation in their speaker stands. Ever.

2. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Do not get rid of the shot (depending on the size shot). Pour most out, then add a layer of cleaned sand, the back to the shot, add a layer more. Repeat until full. The idea is to mass weight the legs. What acts as the drain for vibration is using the combination shot and sand. The released vibration is quickly turned into heat.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

They are sealed so I would leave them be.

4. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have play sand in my Solid Steel stands. Alternating sand and shot may be slightly better, but play sand is cheap and easy to get.

5. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Another very important aspect to the sound for a stand is how the speakers are situated on the stands... Stillpoints, Skylan Q-Bricks, grommets, rubber nubs, foam pads, Blu-tack etc.

6. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Missed that piece. Metralla is right, if they are factory sealed then leave them be.

7. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

For people that do not want lead shot in the house, there is a nontoxic, bismuth shot available now. Although I don't think lead shot would be a problem so long as you don't spill it and step on it or have kids play with it.

8. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I don't know if mine are factory sealed. I had thought most of them came disassembled. Their top and bottom are securely bolted with large hex or allen screws and they don't seem to leak anything. I think I will let them be. The added mass of the stands help the sound a great deal compared to my previous lightweight wooden stands.

9. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

True.

3M adhesive putty (similar to Blu-Tack, but white), is what I use to secure the speakers to the stands. Work great for me.

10. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Now, I do remember when I got the stands that they did not appear to be completely filled with the stuff. I could hear the lead shot moving around in there....

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

This: http://www.audiopoints.com/microBearingFill.php

Not inexpensive, but effective. I have a set of their speaker cables, which are encased in the stuff, and for lack of a better word are "clearer" than any other I've used, without being harsh or overbearing.

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I've often wondered about that stuff.

13. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Sometimes it isn't necessary to fill sand etc. in your speaker stands or racks!
    It sounds right even the stands aren't filled.
    My Lovan Sovereign rack and Ballet II speaker stands "sounding" better without any filled in. Maybe because my components (Mcintosh) are heavy enough....

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Pure Peruvian flake cocaine. Really brings out the midrange.

Tooth, Dorian75, CrazyCatz and 3 others like this.
  15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I tried to buy lead shot for my speaker stands here years ago.
    Went to Walmart - which sells all kinds of guns and ammo.
    To anyone.
    But they wouldn't sell me lead shot for my speaker stands.
    Turns out there's a ban on lead shot sales in CT due to concerns over pollution.

Automatic weapons.
    Ok.
    Ammo.
    Ok.
    Lead shot.
    No.

Dorian75 and CrazyCatz like this.
  16. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Lead shot is readily available in most states and as far as I know you can have it shipped or just buy it in an adjacent state. I don't think they care about you owning it, they just don't want you shooting it on their land. Also, there are non-lead kinds of shot available, although steel shot, the most common, isn't what you want for this.

Also, under Federal law, they can't sell guns "to anyone". There are a number of conditions you have to meet. But we aren't going to discuss that here, because it is verboten. I respect the rules.

Shot, however, in the bag is not considered a firearm and is not regulated under Federal law as such. It has many non-shooting uses.

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'm aware of the Federal law. Don't want to disrespect you or the rules either. I just wish sellers would follow that law.

Maybe I can buy the shot in NY?

18. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Too funny!

19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Isn't that the same as kitty litter... :):)

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  20. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

But tempo goes to pot.

jtw and Gordon Johnson like this.
  21. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

I brought home a bucket of used automobile wheel weights

Chopped them up and fed them into the stand (all steel with a hole in the top plate)

Augmented with sand to fill the voids and tamped down as I went

Filled the support structure as well, plugged the access hole with a nice nylon blind hole cap (hardware store) glued in with silicone sealer Used silicone on the stand's end plugs as well

Increased an already solid set of stands weighing about 10 pounds each up to about 45

The old Standesign with the open frame bottoms (not "plates")

Love 'em, bought one pair new and scored a second pair years later for $20 bucks, sorry they are no longer available

Closest thing I ever found to no stand at all

22. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

And you prefer?

23. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Q-Bricks. Hands down. They're not cheap, but for the money the sonic improvement is a bargain.

24. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I use special made foam pads under mine but have not played around with other stuff. Yet.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

BBs. Steel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.