POLL : What Era of Pink Floyd tour would you most have wished to attend ??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PteroDon, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I chose the Syd years because I was able to see them starting with DSOM.

PteroDon likes this.
  2. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

70-72

PteroDon likes this.
  3. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

That only happened a couple of times towards the end, surely? Anyway, I would have taken the risk. Syd Barretts don't come along very often.

Zack likes this.
  4. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I voted 70-72 but I would also have liked to seen them in '67 when they toured with Jimi Hendrix and others in England.It seemed liked such an exciting time to be at the beginning of the whole psychedelic movement in England at that time.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    PteroDon likes this.
  5. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

If I had one trip in a time machine it'd be back to April/May 1967, taking in the 14 Hour Technicolor Dream and the Games For May concert at the Festival Hall.

I was actually only about a mile away from the Technicolor Dream (April 29th 1967), my parents lived walking distance away, but was only four months old at the time so had no chance.

bhazen, footlooseman and PteroDon like this.
  6. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Would that be close to the All Saints Church all night gig?Those that you mentioned and the ASC gig are the shows I would pick for a single concert experiment.Of course I would need the accessories that went along with being there..If you know what I mean.

PteroDon likes this.
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

1977 ANIMALS tour for me ... and I did! MSG July 1977.

8. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

I was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd at Winterland, April, 12/13, 1975
    Oakland Coliseum, Dec. 3/4, 1987
    Hughes Stadium, Sacramento, April 20, 1988
    Oakland Stadium, April 22/23, 1988
    Voted for '72-'74

9. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Never understood the fanaticism over the Syd "era". It was only one album (a darn good one but still only one album), was very much background on the second.

My pick is the Animals tour.

Mainline461 likes this.
  10. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

The All Saints gig I think you're talking about would 1966?
    Those would be in 1966.

The big gig at The Roundhouse on October 15th 1966 would be another one worth firing up the ol' time machine for.

11. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

If I had to choose two gigs from different eras, the first one would obviously have been the original line-up on a good night. I'd love to have seen them at UFO too, but the Games for May-gig would have to be the ONE, wouldn't it? A 2 hour gig in a great sounding venue with loads of jamming, plenty of gems from Piper, the first surround-gig, Syd in great spirits, the first performance of "See Emily Play" (called "Games for May") - I could go on and on.

Queen Elizabeth Hall, London - May 12, 1967

Matilda Mother
    Flaming
    The Scarecrow
    See Emily Play
    Bike
    Arnold Layne
    Candy and a Currant Bun
    Pow R. Toc H.
    Interstellar Overdrive
    ---
    Lucifer Sam

I would have loved to see them later in the year too, with tracks like "Scream Thy Last Scream" and "Reaction in G", but I think the general vibe of Games for May makes it a winner in itself. When I was a teenager, and had just gotten into 60's music, I met a guy who studied in Brighton in the 60's (possibly Sussex University, where the band played in 1968), and he went to as many Floyd-gigs as he could. He reckons he saw them about 20 times between 1967 and 1972, and lost interest when Dark Side came around. One of the things I vividly remember from our conversation is that he told me that they were building stuff on stage, and once opened the show by frying eggs and bacon. I don't think I even believed him. This was obviously "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", but I hadn't heard that track, and was just stunned that such a big band could have been that experimental back then.

Another big one on my wishlist is Pink Floyd, The Frost and The Psychedelic Stooges supporting The Who at Grande Ballroom, Detroit - July 12, 1968. How cool is that?

But of headliner shows, one of the European or American 1971 shows would probably be my second choice. Which one should I choose of these two?

Palazzo dello Sport, Rome - June 20, 1971

Atom Heart Mother
    Careful with That Axe, Eugene
    Fat Old Sun
    Embryo
    Echoes
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
    Cymbaline
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    Astronomy Domine

Carnegie Hall, New York - November 15, 1971

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
    Atom Heart Mother
    Careful with That Axe, Eugene
    Cymbaline
    Echoes
    Astronomy Domine
    Green Is the Colour
    Fearless
    One of These Days

Chris M, ronm, brunofaetten and 3 others like this.
  12. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

I saw them in 1970 before DSOTM but not with Sid unfortunately.:realmad: But still a great time to see them in a smallish venue 1,000+ play all of Ummagumma live. :righton:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    PteroDon likes this.
  13. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

The Syd Years. I saw the rest. I'm old.

14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I would LOVE to go back and time and be the spit receiver. I mean, that guy never spoke up about it, I'd at least admit it was me. :p

I'd also love to be at one of their one-off oddball shows, like the "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" performance.

ronm likes this.
  15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Where's the "NONE" choice?

16. The one I saw Winterland a few months before Dark Side. They performed most of it and Echoes. Great show. 1973

ronm and PteroDon like this.
  17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I saw them at Winterland in SF for the Meddle tour in around 71 or 72. One of the least memorable shows I've seen. It felt like all atmosphere at at the time.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

19. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

The Who were supposed to play, but only Pete turned up (on acid). There is an interview with him talking about seeing Pink Floyd that day, and being very scared because all of a sudden he realised "Oh my God, I'm in an audience!" :eek:

20. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I would have loved to see the original Animals on tour with Alan Price still in the band.
    As for Floyd.......definitely with Syd.

PteroDon likes this.
  21. Sander

Sander Senior Member

SYD + DSOTM, definitely.

22. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I could have realistically seen PF performing Animals in '77. I was in college then, and I had spent --all-- of my disposable income that year to go and see LZ in Houston, Dallas, and Ft. Worth. But, I still wish I could have found a way to afford to gone and seen PF perform Animals. I regret it to this day.

PteroDon likes this.
  23. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Atom Heart Mother - Meddle, so 70-72

ronm likes this.
  24. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Right under the "Why would we even give a crap about the views of a non-fan here?" selection.

Billy Infinity and jay.dee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.