16 rpm records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew T., Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

My grandfather had a variety of 16 rpm records he'd gotten from a college that was getting rid of them. All of them were educational; some of people pronouncing words in French or Spanish, or recordings of speeches from religious or political people. Pretty darn boring, in other words. There were some that were quick little debates between 2 people on a religious topic. The TD-124 was manufactured with a setting for 16 rpm.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Actually, they were 16⅔ RPM - exactly half the standard LP speed.

3. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Yup when I was a kid I had a few of them. They were spoken word. Sounded just fine on my player. I think they were the size of 45 RPM records but with a 33 RPM sized spindle hole.

4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Many were, but there were also 9", 10" and some 12" 16 rpm records released. There were also 8 rpm records. Lots of this stuff was for recorded books for the blind, or promotional material for radio stations doing news shows or the like.

5. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Amazing.

6. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

7. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Herb Alpert sounds pretty good on the 16 rpm disk.......but it sounds just a tad slow.

10. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I'm still trying to figure out how they expect people to play a 3 rpm record!
    I wonder how the guy in the video rigged his turntable to play so slow.
    I read somewhere that back in the 50s there was some kind of adapter that enabled 16 rpm records to be played at correct speed on a 33 rpm setting.

Baby Driver likes this.
  11. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

There's 8rpm records too.

12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

My grandfather was blind and he used to received transcriptions of the news on 16 2/3 records. The labels were printed in braille. He had a turntable given to him that only played 16 2/3 and 33 1/3.

altaeria and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  13. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

A wonderful machine! We used to have one!

14. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Back when I was a lad, my grandfather's "stereogram" had 16, 33, 45 and 78 speeds.
    Now I know that 78's were the commonplace medium early in vinyl's history but have never known what 16 rpm was used for.
    Can someone enlighten me please?

15. JonP

JonP Active Member

Well I can say that the 16 RPM records we used to own were speech only...usually some turn of the 20th century sounding British dude waxing poetic about something or other...

16. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Talking books. They were on record before they were on cassette.

Aftermath and Grant like this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have seen one. In fact, I remember playing one on our record player at home back around 1970. I don't remember what it was, though.

The last time I saw a record play at that speed was in the early 80s. The company I worked for had a Muzak system that played those records continuously.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Other major note here. Chrysler Highway HiFi and Seeburg Background Music records require a .5 mil light tracking, compliant stylus to avoid damage. And compliance needs similar to that of proper Stereo playback. Otherwise, they get damaged.

19. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Maybe reading the other messages in this thread will help?

daveidmarx and Jay_Z like this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

National Library Service For The Blind And Physically Handicapped

http://www.loc.gov/nls/

used to produce talking book records at 16 RPM because you could fit more content on each side that way.

There are other videos of these record players on YouTube.

Moonbeam Skies and MikeInFla like this.
  21. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

A friend of mine had this exact LP. I was surprised at how good it sounded given the speed and condition of the disc. (He had a TOTL Miracord changer with a Shure V15-III cart.)

Grant and geo50000 like this.
  22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Here is the album I referred to upthread (several years ago) -- Modern Jazz Survey: Baritones & French Horns. This was the original release of all of this material. Side 1 of this album must be the most familiar originally-on-16 rpm record ever made, since it was later re-pressed as the 33 rpm Coltrane album Dakar. The other side was also reissued.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

what a cool version of Taste Of Honey!

Aftermath and Grant like this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, Herb is awesome! I love that version of the song. Go buy Whipped Cream And Other Delights- you'll like it.

25. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

When I was a kid I had a record player with speeds of 16, 33, 45 and 78. It had a "flip over" needle like this:

[​IMG]

I forgot all about it and remembered it was on my player. Never used it for anything because I didn't have 16's or 78's. Haven't seen once since.

Aftermath, Grant and Moonbeam Skies like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.