Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Andy VanDette did the 2013 Sectors remasters
    Sean Magee mastered the 2015 vinyl -and it is assumed, the Hi-Res too.

crimsun and Billy Budapest like this.
  2. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

I don't believe there is a public, definitive conclusion. I would surmise (strongly), however, that because the 2015 HDtracks downloads do not sound like versions from the Sector boxed sets (from HDtracks) even with volume matching, they are not the former's finalized work.

3. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Different track and complete album lenghts more than suggests that the new digital versions are not only new remasters but completely new/different transfers from the analog sources.

Can't help being a bit upset by VanDette's work. The way he in interviews told people how honored he was when given the task of mastering the sector stuff . And the selling point at HDtracks being "mastered by Andy VanDette using analog consoles bla bla bla." I've always felt there was something off with the sector stuff and the new remasters just confirm that I was right. They are simply amazing. Can't wait for 2112, the beginning if my favourite Rush era!

ytserush and sound chaser like this.
  4. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Dr. Johnny Fever has heard it already!

mmars982, rcsrich and Veovis like this.
  5. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

my caress of steel has pops and clicks too, mainy on the first side. I got mine from amazon and will be returning for another.

6. Snowdog212

Snowdog212 Well-Known Member

Yep, you aren't the only one. Both me and my friend picked up FBN and CoS (from Amazon). Each had pops, clicks, noise issues. Some rather loud and disturbing for new vinyl. Always seems hit or miss with Quality Records pressings.

7. henry babenko

I wonder if it's cause we are ordering them from amazon, makes me not want to get any further releases. Also on my fly by night it only has clicks and pops at the very end of (in the end) buy no where else, I can live with that. but CoS is worse... I got used sealed copies of old records from the 70's that sound cleaner. so it's not just me.. never had to return an album to amazon I wonder how that is. keep sending it back till we get one that works correctly..

8. henry babenko

Mine has this as well......

9. Amazon is causing the pops and clicks or other defects?

10. henry babenko

We aren't sure if its amazon or its on the other retailers.. This definalty needs to be addressed for further releases...

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I agree about the new remaster 100% With that said, I actually don't have a problem with the Sectors masterings particularly the 24/96.

But my real reason for posting: This (what you hear on Sectors) is simply Andy VanDette's style. My freinds band just recorded an album and they chose Andy to master it. I gave it a listen and it's exactly like the Sectors masters - i.e. louder than they need to be, not a front to back brickwall but some clipped samples etc etc. My freind thinks it's great so what the heck do I know :)

Veovis likes this.
  12. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

My vinyl fly by night is perfect...bought from acoustic sounds

13. henry babenko

then that's were I will order 2112 from, acoustic sounds... they seem to get a good batch.. surprised more haven't complained about this.

14. botley

botley Forum Resident

Van Dette's remaster of the original Vapor Trails mix (it should be VAPOUR, dammit) is better than the original CD, but that's not saying much. I also like his version of Hold Your Fire with the alternate mixes. Everything else in the catalogue has been treated better elsewhere.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  15. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I'm on some sort of back to black mailing list and a couple of days ago I got a message about upcoming releases and saw that it listed A Show of Hands as a release for Nov 17. Strange that they didn't choose Moving Pictures, or any of the other popular Rush albums due in the coming months

16. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

That's odd, my 24/96 of FBN is dead quiet... :D

17. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Come on, surface noise on sealed records the fault of the retailer? Give me a break. Mine is from Amazon and it dead quiet.

18. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Fly by Night Vinyl from Soundstage- super clean- no noise- IMO- the best version of this release.
    It's amazing.

19. henry babenko

its all luck of the draw...

20. henry babenko

basically its all in if you get a clean copy or not... hopefully they will correct this by the time farewell comes out... if not its a crapshoot..

21. dazzlingmd

dazzlingmd Forum Resident

It does seem like it's the luck of the draw. The retailers get sealed copies so it's not like they can inspect them. And I don't think the manufacturer/distributor sends good batches to some retailers and bad batches to others.

My FBN was from Amazon and was perfectly clean and quiet, and my COS was also from Amazon and had a defect.

Hopefully my replacement will be better as the sound quality on the new COS was fantastic.

22. Can you explain how Amazon causes pops and clicks?

24voltsdc and robtodd like this.
  23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Volume, baby... Volume!

mrvco likes this.
  24. Don't forget the alternate Mystic Rhythms on Power Windows, too.

25. It's vinyl, people. It's gonna have clicks and pops.

Geee!, DiabloG and scottp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.