Does Van Halen even NEED a singer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blastproof, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I definitely agree!

2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I don't think Eddie would want to play the smaller venues an instrumental project would have him in.

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They need Kanye

zphage likes this.
  4. That sir, did indeed, make my day!

5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

They should do a karaoke tour, with mics hanging down over the audience so they can sing along while VH plays.

6. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Van Halen does not need a singer... but they absolutely do need David Lee Roth.

7. But none are younger than 40. The generation born in 1980 and beyond haven't advanced the electric guitar (almost) at all.

8. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

According to David Lee Roth, what Van Halen needs is motivation.

Go to 1.07. "I've been based in Tokyo for the last two years and I rode my bike to the Tokyo Dome for a concert with 43,000 of our friends. That's the closest I could get the Van Halen's to productive that week."

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think an Eddie Van Halen solo record with Alan Holdsworth or someone of that caliber would be an interesting change.

10. roadtonever

roadtonever Forum Resident

Image if Mastodon had a singer of the calibre of Hagar or DLR.

11. It'd be interesting to hear someone with EVH's chops take on some instrumental "post rock" type stuff in a Mogwai or Russian Circles vein, but methinks he's way too musically conservative for that.

AlienRendel likes this.
  12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Since they don't need a singer, what would DLR be doing?

13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

They don't have one now.

14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

You're not getting his joke. I'm guessing he's saying David's a great frontman, which they need ...even though he's not really a "singer". :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

That was a joke? :D

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If Eddie did an instrumental album, I would definitely give it a listen. He's hinted at sort of progressive tendencies with stuff like "Me Wise Magic" and a lot of the stuff on VH3, it'd be interesting to see what he did, freed from the constraints of having to write something a singer could sing over. It'd probably be a bit self-indulgent, but aren't all instrumental guitar albums? Actually, kinda surprised he hasn't done this...Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Richie Kotzen, etc have all done instrumental LP's while still working with their vocal-driven bands at the same time, and made some cool records.

17. Glenn Christense

Well, that depends on your opinion of David's singing. :D

Monosterio likes this.
  18. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I think it's beyond the point of being a subjective opinion anymore....

And that's not even getting into how creepy the dude is looking these days...

19. Glenn Christense

I'm just a casual Van Halen fan, but as weird as he is, and he's not singing very well these days, I still need David fronting the band.
    These days it's a surrealistic combination of Al Jolson fronting a pop metal band. It's a fascinating thing to watch :D

enro99 likes this.
  20. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I agree that if I'm going to see Van Halen, I want DLR fronting the band. But there's also a point to be made that when you no longer have the ability to sing anymore, that you probably shouldn't be doing it.

21. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Smiling, of course... :D

22. Glenn Christense

Agreed. That's the issue facing more than one classic rock vocalist in a well known band these days though. The pipes don't last forever, but the fans do , so where do bands draw the line ? As long as fans keep filling the seats all the bands with this issue will keep going out.

23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

They should get Pat Benatar.

BluesOvertookMe and Olompali like this.
  24. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Dave stills looks like Dave more than Eddie looks like Eddie these days. I was thinking 'who's that guy playing guitar in VH now'?

25. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Not all. Some have the self-respect to understand they don't have the chops anymore and stay home rather than embarrass themselves.

I get wanting to continue performing when its in your blood. And, in some cases, people simply need the money. I get that too. But when you become a parody of yourself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.