Whiplash

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

The movie's director discussing what might have happened to Andrew and Fletcher after the movie (this leads me to conclude mikeyt is right):

Where do you think these two go after this movie ends? They had a moment at the end of the film, but I feel these two will always hate each other.

I think so. I think it’s definitely a fleeting thing. I think there’s a certain amount of damage that will always have been done. Fletcher will always think he won and Andrew will be a sad, empty shell of a person and will die in his 30s of a drug overdose. I have a very dark view of where it goes.

That should have been a postscript at the end of the movie, “And at 30, he dies of a drug overdose.”

That would be great, right before the credits, “Oh, by the way.” It’s a post credit thing, like the Marvel movies. It’s his funeral.

And Fletcher is there. He gives the eulogy.

“That ungrateful f---ing brat.”

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Great movie, with an obviously great soundtrack.

Ron P. and lbangs like this.
  5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Glad to see J.K. Simmons win an Oscar.

Did a great job...

Grant, Deuce66 and Humbuster like this.
  6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I also thought the editing Oscar was well-deserved.

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Thanks, I don't know how to use the spoiler tag either.:)

8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Finally saw-amazing! The best of any of the Oscar movies that I saw.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Awesome - very intense, I was riveted to the screen the entire time.

Grant likes this.
  10. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Yep...saw it last night. Great movie!!! I am a jazz freak so it thrills me to see a film about this American art form that many of todays youth are not exposed to. They just think you don't know how to say Jay-Z. Perhaps this movie will revive some interest. Who's going to be our next Louis Armstong?

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm a musician but this film looks so unpleasant to watch from all the previews that I have no interest in seeing it. But I am curious about all the praise. Can someone tell me in a nutshell why this movie is so wonderful (other than Simmons performance which I'm sure is great).

12. progrocker71

It's really not that unpleasant. It's an old-school Hollywood melodrama, with everything amped up and intensified for entertainment purposes. It moves like lightning and has more impact than many action movies do. It's not "realistic" (many of the best Hollywood films aren't) but damn it's a ton of fun.

Grant, mikeyt, edski and 2 others like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

if swearing is a problem for you then yes it will be very unpleasant, I guess the movie is about pushing yourself and being pushed to the absolute limit in order to achieve a goal or level of competence that very few people can attain and the sacrifices that have to be made in order to become great at something

rburly and chacha like this.
  14. Monosterio

I say skip it. :)

chacha likes this.
  15. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

It is a good film and as a musician I think you will love it! It is about a young man who is determined to be one of the best drummers of all time....one of the best ever. That is the crux of the film. It is a bit overshadowed by Simmons performance for some, but not me. I was a wrestler in school and my coach was not far off from the intensity of the Simmons character. And we all were better wrestlers for it.

chacha likes this.
  16. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

A friend of mine from work saw it Tuesday or Wednesday and gave me the two thumbs up when I asked him if he liked it. He watched it again Thursday with his wife and told another friend and me that maybe he oversold it. He said that he thought we could appreciate it having played sports where you're pushed every practice to be better. He thought the line "Telling somebody, 'That was good' is the worst thing you can do to someone" was the best line in the movie.

I think it was a good movie. I would recommend it to musicians and maybe athletes who have been pushed physically farther than they thought possible for themselves.

Ron P. likes this.
  17. amoergosum

So regarding the completely pathetic double time swing scenes...if you know something about jazz drumming you will appreciate this spoof clip by Joe Crabtree >>>

mark renard and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  18. amoergosum

Here's John Riley (well known jazz drummer) demonstrating how to play double time swing properly...notice how relaxed he is. You HAVE to be relaxed in order to play double time swing. That's what you would learn in real life as a drum student...not the cramped, bloody BS they show in Whiplash >>>

19. progrocker71

The "playing until your hands are bloody" is a more visceral MOVIE IMAGE, which is after all what Whiplash is, a movie geared for entertainment, it's not a documentary.

Deuce66 likes this.
  20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My wife and I watched the movie at home tonight (DVD rental). A fascinating movie . . . I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I was thoroughly entertained the entire time. This is the equivalent of Full Metal Drummer, with J. K. Simmons taking the role of R. Lee Ermey. The drumming was exceptional . . .

Grant, bopdd, Murph and 4 others like this.
  21. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Saw it and loved it. I wonder who took that other drummers charts....

Grant and Monosterio like this.
  22. Monosterio

Yeah, that was never disclosed, was it? I thought it might have been Fletcher but who knows?

Grant, Dudley Morris and Murph like this.
  23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Honestly, I was not really floored by it. Great acting, absolutely. But it basically reminded me of the music conservatory equivalent of Bob Knight, who will always be one of the most abhorred educators/teachers/coaches (whatever else you want to call him) of all time.

A lot of background info was sorely missing from this film - how long was he teaching at this institute? If he'd been doing this for say, 5 years, he would have eventually crossed paths with a student that would have made sure he'd never play an instrument again in his life - especially in this day and age.

I didn't buy him calling up the girl later in the film either. If he was such a super-focused, I'm going to drop you out of my life to be an all-time great world fixture...wouldn't you delete her from your phone??!!??

But at least the instructor didn't turn into some kind of changed man - hopefully the kid got a job offer right after the final scene and managed to never see the guy again at all.

24. Monosterio

I posted this earlier in the thread:

25. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I agree with you. A friend recommended it to me and I saw it. The acting is very good, but a lot of information is missing IMO. I wondered what happened to both after the movie. That was left unresolved (yes I read what the director said, but he could have included that for a little more satisfying movie). JK Simmons background was pretty much a mystery which was unsettling for me. Good movie, but not as good as it could have been IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.