First carreer-spanning Willy DeVille-collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Bought this brand new Willy DeVille/Mink Deville collection today. Imo the first really good collection of this great artist. The one artist Dylan recently name-dropped when asked which artist that deserves an introduction in Rock and roll hall of fame
    3 cd-s of greatness.

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Thanks for the heads up B. I need to check this out.

3. sami

sami Mono still rules

His debut record is one of the criminally underrated albums ever - it just didn't comfortably fit into any radio or record store labels, so it was pretty much ignored. I loved it then and love it to this day.

4. John22

John22 Forum Resident

5. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, that one is just about perfect, be hard to leave any of it off a compilation, just included it in the top 5 favorites thread, one of the great records of the 70s ... http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/your-top-5-albums-of-all-time.416668/page-3#post-11923016

sami likes this.
  6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

1st LP, 2nd LP, Le Chat Bleu, Victory Mixture... list goes on.
    In Holland he has always been quite popular though.
    I think in Europe it was easier for artists like Willy crossing genres and getting airplay.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  7. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

'Spanish Stroll' was my 1st 12-inch single and on the 1st LP I remember what struck me: the versatility. 'She's So Tough' what a performance...

hutlock likes this.
  8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

It's about time! Great to see Dylan mention DeVille in that context.:righton:

pscreed likes this.
  9. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

A must have ....

10. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Classic record. I've posted this before, but there's a nice interview with Willy DeVille at Rock Around The World titled "The Tale of the Mink". Here's a short paragraph which ends with a very telling line, something that seems to characterize a lot of classic albums - that being... the artist really had no idea at the time how good it was, nor exactly where the magic came from. Guess that's why they seldom recreate that greatness again .... The services of legendary Jack Nitzsche were procured to produce the first Mink DeVille album . . . it was a completely natural choice, as Jack had worked with groups that had provided the soundtrack to Willy's youth -- like The Crystals and The Ronettes: "Jack and I hit it off beautifully. It's a real spiritual relationship. Sometimes it's like looking in a mirror with him . . . it got to the point where I didn't even have to talk, just say, 'Jack . . . ' and he'd say, 'Yeah, I think so . . . ' It was very tight, very magic -- a lot of pressure, but good, positive pressure. It snowballed. There is something in that album that I don't even understand."

Anyway, I have the original CDs and they sound very good, not quite all the magic that's on the right vinyl, and the right vinyl means close to original, because the early US reissues lost a lot, not sure if there are any later reissues that capture it all. Magenta really shines on a good pressing, with so much delicacy and nuance and texture, some nice reverb that really makes for a deep soundstage, if that's fun for you (and it is for me). Great stuff. Someone told me the Spanish Stroll collection sounds pretty nice. I did hear some from the 2004 remasters and they were punched up pretty loud. The Raven version of Willy's Miracle with Mark Knopfler sounds pretty nice too, and their twofer of the first two is OK too.

Guess this is kind of getting off on a tangent, sorry.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Hsving listened through the set I must say it s good listening. First cd collects hits and album tracks from Mink deville . Cd 2 containsvWikky deville stuff . Cd 3 contains hard to find b-sides, extented versions live-stuff etc.
    Great linernotes from various members of Willys bands.
    All in all- a good reminder of the greatness this true original reached.
    Essential stuff

wrappedinsky likes this.
  12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Spanish Stroll is one of my favorite songs ever. Played it at my wedding and everything. Might need to look I to this collection...

13. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

Just thought I'd bump this thread to ask if anyone would care to comment on the sound of this box set.

I've been on a Willy/Mink Deville kick lately, and would like to add this to the collection - as long as it's not too loud.

14. truth-be-told

truth-be-told Forum Resident

These are the best sounding digital versions of his music that you will find. It is NOT loud and the DR ranges from 9 to 13. (If you are into that). They really did this one right. You will not be disappointed.

wrappedinsky, Malina and onebit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.