Keep preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ashulman, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Right now I listen almost exclusively to vinyl. Right now I have a tom Evans phone pre going into a passive channel on my musical fidelity a3cr preamp then to my primaluna prologue 5 power amp. This seems a waste to me since I'm only using the mf for volume control. Any suggestions for improving the efficiency of the system while stepping up a bit?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

While it may seem wasteful, it may be performing a very important function. I don't know the output impedance of your phono stage, but the input impedance of the power amp is 100k ohms. If the output impedance of the phono is as high as 47k, then the linestage may be a very good buffer and add some power to the sound. You can try and just use a stereo volume control as a passive between the phono and the amp to see if it sounds better or worse. Aside from that, if you have remote volume control on what you have, that alone should be welcome.
    -Bill

3. ashulman

I'm not sure of the settings without checking because I had sent the stage to Tom Evans to be adjusted for my cart.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Output impedance is not user adjustable, it is a fixed parameter of the unit. They don't publish the spec on their website, so you'd have to ask someone there in the know to find out. That said, it's just a guideline, not a guarantee of compatibility. You are still best advised to try the passive for sonic results in your set-up, all specs aside. You will not damage anything either way.

My experience for what it is worth, is that passives are better than cheap active preamps in many systems but nice active designs are almost always the way that I end up going if sound quality is the primary goal. For a cheap, portable system, passive fits the bill nicely.
    -Bill

5. ashulman

So what would you mean by an active design? I like the Tom Evans and assume its better than most built in phono pres on even decent integrateds. But would I replace the Primaluna and MF with an integrated and run the Evans into that? Is that "active" in your sense? ​

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No. I am just discussing the linestage. The linestage can be active, as you already have with the MF unit implementing gain by the use of transistors or tubes, or passive as in a simple potentiometer based volume control or transformer based volume control unit. The phono stage and power amp remain the same unless you are considering a change there as well.

An integrated amplifier can replace all of that, or just the pre and power stages, retaining the external phono stage. That can be a better solution or a worse solution, dependant upon quality and the match between the power amp and speakers, which is yet another aspect of the systems matching.
    -Bill

7. ashulman

I think i need a more powerful amp anyway for my Martin logan vistas

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It seems there might be some ways to upgrade your system, but I don't think getting rid of your preamp is the way to go. Replacing it with a tubed preamp from Primaluna and maybe going to a beefier solid state amp?

9. ashulman

My gut tells me integrated plus my seperate phono pre is the way to go. Looking at it I really need to address the power issue for the speakers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.