Sleater-Kinney is back! (New album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bRETT, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I'd have sprung for a signed deluxe. But I agree it was a pain to hang onto for the show. My show was GA at a seated venue with a pit. I had to forgo going into the pit and sit in the 2nd row to protect my LP. Haha. I'm just glad they are bringing them to more shows than I had thought. I swear they didn't have them in Chicago(but I could be wrong maybe just sold out before I saw...).

2. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Going to see them here in Pittsburgh on Sunday - any opinions on this opening act, Lizzo?

3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

If it is Lizzo Bangers I would give her props. Her first album, 'Sunglasses and Bail Money' is very good. She's kind of like Missy without all the Timbaland polish. Very street. Lizzo, Freddie Gibbs and Big Freedia were my favorite rap discoveries of 2014.

Hutch likes this.
  4. BeardedSteven

I'll be there too. If you know nothing about her she's a hip hop act. I thought she was fun and did a good job of getting the crowd going. I didn't run to the merch table to buy her CD or anything. But she was really fun and the audience did seem to enjoy her. Didn't play too long either. I would like to hear what other people who went thought? In a way it really is an odd choice of an opening band, but also good for S-K for opening people up to not just another grrl-y guitar band.

And unless you want to stand in the back you'll need to get there early and watch her even if her music is not your thing. People have been at these shows early...

cublowell likes this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

After seeing that concert on NPR, I'm telling people I saw them live. Only you guys will know I'm lying.

Of course, most of the people I lie to will say, "Who?"

parkmebike and DLant like this.
  6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Last night was great.......despite Terminal 5 being a lousy place and oversold. I got there at 5:30 and was able to get the front rail to the outside of Corin.......sort of lousy view. Great enegry and a nice setlist.

Here's a good review with lots of pictures
    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/02/sleater-kinney_13.html

I bought/love the cat shirt (I'm a cat person) and the tour shirt with the dates on it. The hoodie does look awful. They did have the signed records........I didn't buy one since I can't play vinyl anymore.

I took today off of work to line up earlier......going to get there abound 2.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sad but true - maybe if you throw in "it's that chick from 'Portlandia'", it'll help! :D

Monosterio and DLant like this.
  8. LandHorses

"Let's Call It Love" killed tonight.

BeardedSteven and Hutch like this.
  9. BeardedSteven

The full show from the 9:30 club the other day. Enjoy!

10. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I am on a huge Sleater Kinney kick right now. I really hope they will come back to Denver soon.

11. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Watched that NPR show. They absolutely freakin' killed it. So amazing.

Can't wait to see them in a couple of weeks.

Incredible how a couple of 40-something women can rock so hard.

12. Oatsdad

40-somethings have been rocking for decades!

13. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Well, The Bangles never rocked this hard. :p

14. Oatsdad

Ah - so you're just saying women in their 40s can't rock? Sexist!!! :cussing: ;)

Vern and DLant like this.
  15. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

That NPR show kicked my @ss! it was excellent.

16. Back from my weekend of S-K. NYC & Phili. Mmm, Mmm Good!
    Okay we can lay these to rest:

1.It's pronounced SLATER-KINNEY (as if I'll remember that after 20 years of mispronunciation.)
    2.Tucker is indeed playing a downtuned guitar to get the bass parts.

Never in a million years did I think they'd play "Let's Call It Love". But they did. And I swooned.

A great time was had by all.

(They'll be back. I'm sure of it.)

mschrist and BeardedSteven like this.
  17. You and I no doubt were by each other on Friday if you got there early. (Boy was it a cold wait.)

18. :agree:

LandHorses likes this.
  19. Fixed. (and their supporting player was cool too.)

20. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I enjoyed the Pittsburgh show last night, it was a solid set of songs. The songs from the new album and The Woods sounded the strongest. Unfortunately, it seemed like Corin Tucker had some sort of throat issue or something, as she strained to hit higher notes on a few songs and winced when doing so (the DC video linked above definitely shows no sign of this). Hope she's feeling better if that's the case, it's a rough time to be touring the northeast with this cold spell.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  21. LandHorses

Pittsburgh was also their 6th straight show without a day off. They're playing tonight too.

22. Oatsdad

That schedule's kooky. Why are they playing so many shows in a row? Finances? :confused:

23. LandHorses

The Philly wait was worse.........colder and the doors were 1 hour later. The venue was amazing. Of the 3 I saw, Friday Terminal 5 was probably the best show (because of "Let's Call It Love"), but Philly was the best time.

24. Oatsdad

It was freezing here in DC last week - that's why I just waited until 15 minutes before the show started to get there! :)

25. LandHorses

Front row center was worth in in Philly. Union Transfer had no rail/barrier. Carrie almost hit me with her guitar.........she also almost hit me swinging her mic stand at a Wild Flag show.......she must love me :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.