Pete Townshend - 2015/2016 Reissue Programme Announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I distinctly remember Pete referring to PSYCHODERELICT as "my final album" while he was still working on it in January 1993 (PSYCHODERELICT wasn't released until May 1993). It was part of a brief interview on an "upcoming albums" segment on MTV. Yes, MTV.

Mooserfan and Mike Dow like this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My apologies -- there is no H.D.A.D. version of SCOOP. I wish there had been, though.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Who played Half-time "SuperBowl XXXVII", plus wasn't Pete addressing the arrest, investigation in UK around the same time?

4. dee

dee Senior Member

Reb, if you have a half hour or so I guess or less, and listen to the Pete tunes from the Rough Mix dvd-a surround sound disc, I found the fold down from the surround into stereo on my non-surround system to be of some interest, in stereo.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The arrest was much later, IIRC ... like in the late '90s, I believe.

6. dee

dee Senior Member

I don't see any PT solo catalogue at HD or ProStudios? I hear them on iTunes. The 'press release' indicates the catalogue will be 'remastered' later this year, yes? So then, what is actually on iTunes compared to the previous cd remasters? The audio samples to Empty Glass sound pretty good to my ears as they now are on iTunes. Seems like a fairly pleasant eq to me while I'm listening at a fairly high listening volume. I haven't listened to EG in a long time though, so my point of reference is probably not real reliable right now as I'm enjoying the music and songs, and the mix, more than I am focused on listening to purely the sound of it, so...

Hearing a sample of the title track again, after listening to The Who have a go at it, fwiw I think Pete did great things with the song on his album too.

I've always been partial to Day of Silence, Sleeping Dog, and The Love Man, when I first heard them on the Who Came First cd. The Love Man always reminds me of something that seems like it could be on Tommy. Maybe it's Pete's vocal, I don't know. Also, the way he stretches out the chorus using additional lyrics. Day of Silence seems like it could have become part of Lifehouse (Time Is Passing, Gettin' In Tune, Song Is Over). Beautiful song on its own terms. Wish The Who would have been lucky enough to record this one if ever given the chance. Forever's No Time At All is to me like one of the coolest sounding tunes :).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

8. dee

dee Senior Member

Gosh, much of White City seems so 80's. Brings me back home, lol. White City was supposed to be a much more extensive release, yes? There was the long form video on VHS, but there was the script or draft that PT had posted online too. I wonder if the White City release will be one that gets 'reworked' and extended.

Luke, any thoughts or information that you have on the audio of what's up on iTunes?

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No real info or thoughts at this point.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

Okay, thanks, looking forward to reading more about them from you later then.

11. davers

davers Forum Resident

For those in the Seattle area, I noticed Silver Platters recently had the entire Hipo remaster series from the mid-2000s on the shelves, all brand new. Not sure if they unearthed some old overstock; I hadn't seen them in print for years.

eelkiller likes this.
  12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Import CD's and a couple others have some of them still in stock (Empty Glass, White City and Who came First), probably the last copies. Chinese Eyes seemed to go OOP first

davers likes this.
  13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

It seems like these Hip-O's have suddenly materialized all over the place for reasonable prices - I swear a few years ago they weren't around. There was some German imports on SPV or some label like that that appeared to be clones of the Hip-O's.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

If you mean the 4 lp pre-fm KBFH radio broadcast set, no, I never have shelled out for that set - it's always ridiculously priced on eBay. There's also the complete show at Wolfgang's Vault, but of course that is a lossy MP3 sourced version.

15. davers

davers Forum Resident

I picked up a few of the SPVs due to the unique semi-deluxe digipaks. They seemed to put a lot of care in the packaging (and I usually prefer jewel cases).

16. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Aren't the "Scoop" cds released in a Hi-Def format already?
    I'll have to dig out a box tomorrow and see.

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

John Entwistle catalog needs to be re-mastered as well. The 2005 re-issues with bonus tracks were also brick-walled.

18. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Dear God yes.

19. jsayers

Those went OOP really fast as well as I recall. I sold mine, and yes, they did sound awful.

20. jsayers

Interesting. I've never seen one - sounds nice...

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I was referring to a single CD broadcast in 89, I found a copy in a used store in the early 90's. It is a one hour show including commercials featuring some material not on the Atlantic disc.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  22. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Hoping for a cd/dvd package of "White City" :)

rstamberg, dee, davers and 3 others like this.
  23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The SPV digi-paks are quality packages.

re: Deep End Live

I've never heard the 2cd version mentioned in this thread. However, the original cd is also thin sounding with little bass. Therefore, one might find the 2006 re-issue to their liking as the mastering does bring up the bass. Plus there is additional bonus between song dialogue from Pete.

dee and davers like this.
  24. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

How about throwing in the Rockpalast "Deep End" video as a bonus DVD? :)

25. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

There is a Westwood One "Superstar Concert Series" 3 LP set from June of 1988 from the Brixton show too.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.