The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yup. My point in time was back in post #725.

2. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I've really liked the series since the start but I'm close to done with it - between the go-nowhere episodes and the lame agenda ones it has just put me off. Stuff like this needs to be done the British way - 8-10 episodes with a conclusion, even if it is tenuous. They way it is going is more likely to piss me off than keep me engaged.

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I'm guessing they have a 'meet-and-greet' every couple of weeks to introduce Spader to the cast.

Vidiot and The Panda like this.
  4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I don't know about the 8-10 episodes, but the acting and writing in this show is dreadful. We watch it, but mostly because my wife likes it. And if I didn't have a dvr and had to sit through commercials every 5 minutes, there is no way. And now the stupid subplot with Tom, another thespian genius, is back.

5. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I can't think of a show that has dropped quality so fast than Blacklist. Laziest writing...and four episodes in a row where a main is kidnapped?

It has lost its way in a remarkable short period of time.

6. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I agree 100%.

When they did the coming attractions, my wife and I looked at each other and at the same time said to each other (with reference to Tom), "They can't be serious!"

7. The Wanderer

I'm suspecting Spader is getting bored with the routine and they're writing sround him.

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

When was the last time there was a show that was so poorly written, had such a lame supporting cast, but yet was successful and even compelling to watch because of one character (and actor)?

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hollywood Squares with Charley Weaver.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ratings have collapsed, too, but that's mainly because of the shift to a Thursday night timeslot. What's interesting is that the ratings for The Slap and Allegiance are in the toilet, but Blacklist is still quite a bit higher (more than double the other tgwo shows)...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-further-backstrom-american-idol-flat/368340/

11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The villian/storyline would have almost been more suitable for an episode of Criminal Minds than The Blacklist...and that is not meant as a compliment! When Lizzie was teaching that class I was half expecting to see Joe Mantegna sitting there...
    That switch to Thursday nights cheeses me off to no end...up here it shows at 10pm- the time I'm leaving for work (instead of 8pm like it was when it was shown on Mondays). So now I have to wait and watch the new episodes online. My wife and I always made a point of watching The Blacklist together; it was one of "our" shows. Of course, she still watches it on Thursday nights:laugh:
    Indeed...as my wife said, "Reddington is becoming more and more like a caricature than a character with every episode."

Methinks the show as a collective needs to pick it up considerably or there may not be a third season...unless it's already been renewed, which means they better pick it up otherwise there won't be any audience left no matter how charismatic Spader is...

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I gave up on this show at the start of season 2. Some episodes in season 1 plodded but it kept me entertained & got pretty good towards the end of the season. I've been bored rigid with season 2 though. Even Reddington's stories of his past haven't been amusing like they were in season 1.
    Shame because they had good foundations to build on with season 1.

13. The Wanderer

Red simply knows every bad dude anywhere and everywhere on the planet, all of whom owe him a favor.

14. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Has anyone compiled all of the injuries suffered by poor agent Ressler? Just curious...*shrug*

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Why is this show concentrating on serial killers? Would it kill the writers to get back to international arms dealers and corrupt Senators?

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Or want to kill him.

17. The Wanderer

You're absolutely correct, my oversight:

'Red simply knows every bad dude anywhere and everywhere on the planet, all of whom owe him a favor, all of whom want to kill him.' (the Smug Bastard!!!)

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, he oughta be in a wheelchair by now! :laugh:

19. Tex_Writer

Tex_Writer Well-Known Member

One way to pull the show out of the ditch:

Edit together Red's back story (where he supposedly was on the fast track to be a USN Admiral) and reveal his yet-unseen arch enemy ... Denny Crane !

[​IMG]

frankfan1 likes this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

man i miss that show.

frankfan1, Beaneydave and Tex_Writer like this.
  21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

No way. They had Paul Lynde too.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

yea, for me Paul was the show, most of Weaver's stuff (IMO) was pretty stale

My old man told me Weaver had a house near Gettysburg and used to drive past the church that Eisenhower used to attend, right when it would let out. I guess the supposition was he would get people to notice him and not the ex president.

23. Which always makes me wonder how he can spend time sitting in a public restaurant or a park bench and not be worried about being murdered every second of the day. His one bodyguard can't be THAT good.

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Decent episode last night.

Crazy Tom is back...

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

fifth, if i'm not mistaken, episode in which someone is captured. getting real old, real fast.

and whatever happened to spader's sidekick? he got tasered and then never mentioned or seen again.

by the phone call, seems lizzie still has something for crazy tom..........