Help with entry level system (what can I improve)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pbiancardi, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Learning a lot from this thread. Thanks guys.

Rick58 likes this.
  2. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

???????
    If I understand things correctly, he's talking TeeVee sound (for that part of his system)?
    I wouldn't spend .10 cents on broadcast or cable or whatever sound.........just plug it in your amp to make it bigger and help with dialog

3. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Not going to research all of your pieces
    I would simply suggest: everything you've got with Analog outs run them as simply (and directly) as you can into your amplification
    No need to pass signals through boxes unless you have to

I would agree it wise to NOT run anything through the TeeVee's electronics that you don't have to, even for convenience sake

jh901 and RDriftwood like this.
  4. pbiancardi

pbiancardi Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can get audio from the usb port on my Roku?

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

^ Dunno for sure, but the Roku you described seemed to be this one: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-3

They each seem to have different capabilities.

If you have some other Roku model, hook the analog outs directly to your preamp and/or integrated amp.

I don't have one, but seems to me if you are networked to your computer, you should be able to access your archived music. I think Apple TV does this.

In any event, I'd look for ways to keep the music stream out of the TV.

6. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Just for the record, you want your acoustic centre of your speakers at ear level,not your tweeters. The acoustic centre will vary between speakers a little, but you want to aim the mid point between the driver and tweeter at your ears.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Home theater can be integrated with a two channel set-up, but you'll want a legit A/V pre-pro. Additionally, you'll want to do some real homework. Pick up a decent soundbar for your blu-ray and cable viewing for now and keep the two-channel stereo separate.

8. pbiancardi

Ok I am going to throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing - while cleaning my utility room yesterday I found an Ortofon OM30 cartridge on my old TT (I did not use this one much so its like brand new), this is superior to the 2m Red so should I switch or is the 2m Red a better match for the Debut? I had a lot of things going on and I believe that was my original intent (upgrade the TT and keep my existing cartridge), but I guess I never got around to it...

I know this all sounds strange but I am just now getting around to really trying to setup my system properly that explains why I have pcs laying around that I forgot about.

I searched email and found I purchased the OM30 in 2012 for $285.00 from LPGear -

Ortofon Super OM-30 OM 30 OM30 phono cartridge "Editors' Choice, Highly Recommended"
    Item# OROM30

It has not seen much use at all.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

You should install the OM30, it will far outshine the Red.

10. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

If it were my system, I'd keep the Cerwin Vegas. They're perfect for the type of music that you like to listen to. As a general rule, Cerwins have great bass response and are highly efficient, i.e. loud for the input in watts. Some people don't like them, and I suppose if you were more of a jazz or classical person, they might not be your ticket. But for rock n roll, they're a great choice. I have several pairs of Cerwins myself, the oldest dating back to a massive 12" 2-way system from the early 70's with a efficiency rating of -102db!

I'd look more in terms of your amp and preamp. I don't want to sound like a vintage snob, but a good high end receiver from the mid 70's will probably give you a lot more headroom and power on demand than the designs that came out starting in the 80's and later from Kenwood. You can often pick up a nicely refurbished big Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz or Sansui of 80 or greater watts per channel and wonderfully quiet preamps for about $500 or less. Once you get to about 1980, then you see the power amp transistor circuitry replaced with these 'power packs', all in one units that, though ultra clean spec-wise, tend to lose warmth and headroom and end up coupled with wimpy power supplies. This was at a point where the Dollar vs. Yen gap was tightening and manufacturers started to cut corners, just as the masses found favor with component stereo. Later units seem to favor flashing lights and spectral displays over actual performance and quality of build.

Of course there are brands from the post-1980 period that will suit your needs as well. Adcom and NAD are two that come to mind.

11. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

You might also want to find a pair of 12" speakers and run the Cerwins stacked on top of them. You'll get your mids and highs up at ear level and the 12" at floor level will add some nice low end. I'll probably get skewered for saying this, but I've always liked the sound of 4 speakers rather than two...it helps to find complementary speakers...i.e. one set has great mids but not a lot of high or low, and the other set excels at low and hi...etc. Some D9's would rock pretty seriously!

12. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

It's really all been said. But I want to emphasize move system first, move speakers wider apart, and carpet the basement. I'd put a pad down and then thick carpeting. You might be able to find some used wool Persian style carpet for not too much money. Then speaker stands. The difficulty with stands is that they need to be heavy to avoid vibration. Think about making your own out of maple. The ear at tweeter level advice does not always work. Best to experiment. Or, in lieu of latter, see if you can find a decent set of used floor standing speakers. Maybe Vandersteen or Golden Ear.

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Given the type of music you listen to, you might well give a pair of Klipsch towers a listen. Won't break the bank and will rock bigtime.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  14. pbiancardi

Progress being made, speakers now on stands, rug is coming Friday. One step forward and two steps back, broke my Debut trying to switch to the OM30 so now I am on the old HK until that gets fixed.

[​IMG]

Dmann201 and RDriftwood like this.
  15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

It LOOKS like it sounds good. :)

Once that rug is in there, I'll be stunned if there isn't a monumental sonic improvement over what you had coming in.

16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Nice stands ! And I love the look of the TT; massive platter BTW. I agree with what everyone says abut the rug. Will certainly tame the floor reflections. Good work !!

17. pbiancardi

I cannot begin to explain how happy I am that I posted this and took everyone's advice, this is all working out....

Dmann201, RDriftwood, timind and 2 others like this.
  18. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Oh no! Sorry to read about damage to your Debut ... hopefully it can be fixed (and the cart as well).

YES! Looks great. Should sound better with rug too but of course try it both ways for a while (unless it's totally obvious which is better). Sometimes extended listening will uncover or reinforce certain aspects of things. Maybe leave the rug in for a couple days/weeks then take it out and see what changes ...

Do you hear a better defined 'soundstage' now? I assume so! With say an "image of a drum kit" (and not just drum sounds coming from wherever), centered vocals, spread out instruments, maybe even a hint of 'depth' where the drums and some backing vocals/instruments sound like they are 'behind' the main vocal? These aspects of the sound are what drive me ... when the drummer lays down a nice roll using many of the drums/cymbals, the sound should pan across the center portion of the soundstage.

Fun stuff! Glad your enjoyment has increased without spending too much money, free tweaks are always the best!

19. pbiancardi

Ok, all done and sounding incredible. Thanks again to all for the help.

[​IMG]

Robert C, RDriftwood and Rick58 like this.
  20. If you still feel the need to 'upgrade' I'd swap out that Kenwood KC-106 preamp. I used to have one & although mine worked fine and sounded clean, once I replaced it I realized it sounded as dead as a doornail. My 2 cents...

21. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member

I haven't read through the thread thoroughly, but has the OP even stated what he doesn't like about the sound in the first place? If not, where are all the recommendations leading to and what is the point of any of them?

22. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Seems like a general question, answered any number of ways by the responders. All have led to a general (and massive) improvement in the overall experience and moved the OP toward sonic bliss. :cool:

23. pbiancardi

I am not a trained audiophile so what I had sounded fine to me because I have no frame of reference to compare it to. My main question was how can I improve my sound (which I assume is always possible regardless of what your setup is) and these fine folks guided me to the first step - properly setup what I have.

Now that I have everything setup properly I can probably begin the process of listening and figuring out what I like and do not like about my current setup.

Rick58 and Robert C like this.
  24. Perfect. Let us know how it goes & good luck!

25. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member

I see. I guess I misunderstood the question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.