32 gb USB stick has 5gb space?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Darby, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darby

Darby Forum Resident Thread Starter

It had about 13 gb on it worth of music files, I took them off to re-put more music on, about 16gb worth and it says that theres no space left so I check the USB and now it says theres only 5gb ish space available, any ideas?
    sANdISKsECUREaCCESSv2.o is the only thing currently on it.

Confused... the fact it took well over 5gb on it the other day and now doesn't makes no sense, theres nothing on the USB taking that much space up

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Blad...UTF8&qid=1425185718&sr=8-1&keywords=usb[link]

2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Try re-formatting it. It that doesn't work then return/replace it.

3. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Make sure its not formatted in FAT32
    Format it in NTFS

bru87tr likes this.
  4. Darby

In english?

But I know I didn't format it, all I've done it put on over 14gb music on the other day then came on about 5 days later, removed that 14gb of music then tried to put it on again with extra music and I get that message. How could it have changed format?

5. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Reformat then try it, if it still shows no space then you might want to send it back for another

6. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

In English? When you reformat it, click NTFS.

Joshua277456 and HAmmer like this.
  7. Darby

Thanks for reply, I've never formated anything before, the term means nothing to me but I'll google it now, that's why I joked In English.

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Plug in the drive and empty the trash. The deleted files may still be on the drive taking space, but hidden in the trash can. Emptying the trash will clear that space and force the files to be actually removed from the drive.

9. Darby

That worked, cheers.

10. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Are you using Windows? Windows isn't supposed to have a recycle bin (trash can) folder on USB flash drives.

11. Darby

I'm using Mac.

12. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

:doh:

Joshua277456 likes this.
  13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Don't feel bad, I've sometimes cursed the stick and then myself when I realize the trash isn't emptied.

14. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

After you delete the files you have to empty the trash

15. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

This is not a major problem but I'm just curious. I have a folder on my 32gb usb stick which contains corrupt files. I can't erase or open them on my PC. When I click on Properties for this file, it shows 28.4g - which is ridiculous because it actually seems to take up little, if any, room.
    As I said, it's not really a problem as I seem to have plenty of room on my usb stick, but I've tried all the internet suggestions and they don't work. It refuses to be erased. I have marked off the folder as "Corrupt".
    (By the way, if anyone replies to this, apologies in advance as I may not be able to acknowledge until next week.)

16. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Formatting the stick would probably be the best solution.

17. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

do this for all storage devices, works wonders!

18. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I should probably do that, but when I did this with a previous memory stick with the same problem, it got "locked". All the data is on it and can be accessed, but I can neither re-format, add to, or erase anything. I don't think it's my PC as many other usb sticks work perfectly. This present one is usable at least, and only a small area is corrupt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.