POLL : What Era of Pink Floyd tour would you most have wished to attend ??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PteroDon, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Easy - London in '67. Ally Pally and QE Hall, with a UFO gig thrown in. The Piper era was magic, in my estimation.

I don't feel too left out though, having seen 'em in '68, '71, '75, '87, '94. I was an "early adopter" of all things Floydian.

It was before you clicked on the thread.

Nick Dunning, jay.dee and asdf35 like this.
  2. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

Can't believe I voted out of Games For May, Ally Pally, freakin' UFO...but my #1 Floyd experience would be a 70-72 show, not sure which year. 1970 was very experimental, with some unique happenings. Early in the year, they were still doing a version of the Man/Journey suite, and would do one-off stabs at material from More, Ummagumma and Zabriskie Point. Then, in December, they played Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast for the first and only time. 1972 shows were more streamlined, but you still had all the soon-to-be-dropped warhorses like Eugene, Set The Controls, Saucerful Of Secrets, even a few Atom Heart Mothers. In addition to that, you got the full DSOTM and Echoes! Hello! 1971 is the year from which I own the most ROIOs. They'd perfected their "spacey" sound and they still played Embryo. Gun to my head, I think I'd choose '72.

Second choice was much harder. Syd era, 68/69, DSOTM tour all look pretty good to me. In fact, I generally prefer the pre-DSOTM era, and absolutely idolized Syd Barrett in my youth. At the end of the day, though, I decided to go big, and plumped for the alienating spectacle of the "In The Flesh" tour. All of Animals and all of WYWH plus encores makes a pretty unbeatable setlist.

jay.dee likes this.
  3. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I voted for 1968-69 as I really love the Ummagumma live disc.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The Syd Years, and 72-74. Gotta have Obscured by Clouds. More also rules. That would have been my third choice.

5. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

I saw them in 71, 72.(Carnegie Hall) and 73(Radio City).... these shows were fantastic. Indelible memories. If time machine available choose these!!!!

6. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I saw a DSOTM show in 1973 and that would be my choice.

7. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Sometimes lines may blur between the experience of being there with the actual music.Speaking of the Syd era.For me It is the time I want to be there.

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Definitely The Wall.

9. ronm

ronm audiofreak

What I mean is I prefer the music of 69-72 but I would want to experience the 66-67 shows mentioned in my earlier posts.Such an electric time I imagine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.