New Alien film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Right, but it still doesn't mean anything about how good or bad the new Alien film will be - there are some many other factors to consider, not least the quality of the script.

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Chappie is a new film whereas the Alien sequel is part of an established lucrative franchise. Chappie could be a bomb at the box office, and it wouldn't affect the production of a future Alien film with as much hype as it's already getting. It's close to being a sure thing. A lot of people stand to make a lot of money from it.

3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

One thing I never understood about Alien3 was the fact that the Alien queen was in the cramped quarters of the landing gear of the jump ship and managed to squeeze out a couple eggs (without her extended abdomen) on the short trip from the planet. Then those two face huggers managed to infect Ripley and the dog from the planet. I say blow off Alien3 like it never existed.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I noticed H.R. Geiger got a mention in the memorial section of the Academy Awards. I thought, "What did he do, design ONE alien?" Not that it isn't a great alien. I just hope the guy who designed "Chucky" gets shown the same respect.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

He did more than that. He designed the whole concept art and the alien aesthetic, extending to organic-like walls and the enigmatic 'space-jockey'. His all encompassing visualizations their faithful reproductions by the filmmakers is what set the original movie apart from what came before.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is she getting older faster than the rest of us?

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes. If the movie is to be slotted in the timeline between movie 2 and movie 3 (2.5), then she will appear to be much older than she was in movie 3.

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Based on Blomkamp's statements, specifically his more recent statement clarifying his previous comments, I don't get the sense that the film will take place between 2 and 3. He said that he wants to make a film that feels like it's connected to the first two films as those are his favorites. The only way to make Alien 2.5 is to reboot the series after the events of Aliens and pretend that Alien 3 and Resurrection never happened which Blomkamp stated he is not going to do. Since Ripley died in Alien 3, and is, I assume, a clone in Resurrection, it appears, provided that Blomkamp doesn't rewrite the franchise post Aliens, that Weaver will not be playing the same Ripley from the first two films.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, there seems to be quite a bit of confusion about when it's actually going to be set in the timeline. From an interview by Blomkamp and Weaver with Sky News:

In Blomkamp’s mind, that involves imagining that both Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection never happened and instead choosing to follow the footsteps of James Cameron’s 1986 classic, Aliens.

Here’s Blomkamp’s quote: “I want this film to feel like it’s literally the genetic sibling of ‘Aliens.’ So it’s ‘Alien,’ ‘Aliens,’ and then this movie.”

So, which quote is right and when was it originally made (as opposed to when an article was published) seems to be pretty much muddled ATM. This indicates to me that either they don't really know themselves at this stage or maybe they let something slip for which they have to backpaddle now. Time will tell.

10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

He's back peddling on his statements in full force I don't think he has clue
    what is going to do with Alien franchise. I think Fox should reconsider
    Since his last movie was bland desperate dirty settings
    It looks like Chappie is set in the time period as his last movie.
    I think the creative spike he had with District 9 is fading.

Hell, let me direct a alien movie sure, I have no experience at directing
    But, I understand the franchise and people with experience in this field
    are becoming more of disappointment lately. So what would it hurt?
    to let someone with no experience direct a modest budgeted alien movie.
    It could be no worse than Jupiter Ascending.:laugh:

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

"Since his last movie was bland desperate dirty settings" - What does that mean?

12. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, but if they're going to reboot the Alien franchise I think they should start clean and leave the character of Ripley out of the next film.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not likely to happen while Weaver is still acting. Hollywood knows which side its bread is buttered.

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

although it is a sequel with the 3 surviving characters returning,i read that the newt character now grown up is going to take over Ripleys mantle.
    so i guess it's a bit of both sequel and reboot.
    maybe they've been in cryo-sleep for 300 years and it ages you 30 years?

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'd like to see the Alien come to earth and fight Godzilla. Or Mike Love. Or something

16. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Thank god for the decimal system!

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

lol, that was funny.

Mike could take the bitch

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just watched "Chappie." Get a new director.

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I've never seen Chappie, but one film does not a bad director make.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"District 9" was good.
    "Elysium" was lousy
    "Chappie" was awful.

He's a starting to appear a one trick pony without much subtlety and a repetitive device of using 80s punk fashion as the epitome of post-apocalytic fashion -- which is just worn out. I know his film would "Alien With Punks." The Alien series.... I was going to say the Alien series deserves better but it's probably jumped the shark at this point.

It'll be "Alien" on post-apocalyptic earth. Please no...

21. his twisted dreams gave birth to the biomechanical concept

if you're a fan of Die Antwoord, Chappie is a great film. I also like the Zef culture he brought to film.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Unlike many it seems, I thought District 9 sucked, Elysium I liked much more, but was ultimately flawed and I never bothered with Chappie because everything I read about it sounded stupid and derivative.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was going to say "okay" but the production design was very good.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hey it's all good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.