Beachwood Sparks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imagnrywar, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member Thread Starter

Any fans of this group? While looking for recommendations on alt. country, I read a review that described them as spacy country-rock along the lines of the Byrds circa Notorious Byrd Brothers and the first Flying Burrito Brothers LP. That turned out to be a pretty good description. There's a lot of pedal steel here that reminds me of Sneaky Pete's work. Bu the music isn't as dark as the Burritos... much sunnier and poppier.

How are their other releases? I think there's one other album and an EP.

2. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I had the CD for awhile, then lost interest. The poor recording quality didn't help. I saw one in a bargain bin last week.

3. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member Thread Starter

Oops, forgot to mention that the one I got was their s/t album. I don't think the recording quality is poor at all.

4. laughingboy

laughingboy Forum Resident

I really loved Beachwood Sparks. :righton:

I'd recommend that you get to hear everything they released. Their two albums are both excellent, though they have different strengths. The second LP was the first one I heard, and was good enough to get me hooked. Their cover of Sade's By Your Side on that record just about knocked me sideways. The final EP, 'Make The Cowboy Robots Cry" is more experimental, and not 100% convincing.

In short, although it sounds like they are simply rehashing the Byrds/Burrito sound, their songs are strange creatures with their own peculiar beauty that are prone to make a grown man wistful.

I hear that there is a brief reunion of most of the members at the moment, to tie in with Sub Pop's 20th anniversary, so you may even get the chance to see them live.

5. debased

debased Senior Member

Check out "Sweet Julie Ann" from the compilation Mystique: A Benefit for the AIDS Action Committee. Extremely psychedelic, before the alt. country leanings took over. The Sub Pop single ("Midsummer Daydream") is great as well. I wish there was a CD that collected their early recordings.

6. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I like them. Kind of that old Byrds/Buffalo Springfield sound with an ocassional psycedelic thrown in for good measure. See, Oh Three is one of those songs that I can't listen to just once.

7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Anyone here pick up The Tarnished Gold yet? Forgot about this one being released.

8. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

I am enjoying it.

9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

What took so long to sit down with this and listen I really can't say but this has turned into my favorite release by them. Late 60's Byrds & Burrito lovers rejoice and pick this gem up. You won't be let down.

10. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I agree. Once We Were Trees has long been my favorite and is probably still the album with my favorite songs - but Tarnished Gold is so accomplished and beautiful on every level that it is an absolute triumph - what a return to form.
    The new-ish release of their unissued first record, Desert Skies, is an excellent addition to their catalog as well and includes the above-mentioned songs. I have always thought their debut s/t album had nice songs, but the arrangements seemed a little too light and airy for me, or maybe too monotonous over the course of a CD? Anyway, these early versions shed some light onto that - having alternate versions makes me appreciate that eponymous record even more.

Man, I really love this band - it's been great to be able to revisit them now that they've gotten a little notoriety . . . TG was my #5 pick for 2012 (it showed up on AMG's list at #22 which shocked me as The 'Sparks tend to fly under the critical radar).

jeffrey walsh and Mechanical Man like this.
  11. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Another vote for the Tarnished Gold over here. I saw Beachwood Sparks open for My Bloody Valentine last year at Bill Graham and they were sublime.

Here's a live in-the-studio performance of many of the songs, plus a pretty funny interview mid-set.

funknik likes this.
  12. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

What's with the flying V guy wearing a blanket?

13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

14. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

I pulled this out yesterday to put in my "play" pile. I think it is a fine record. I know people that said to me at the time " if I want to hear this sort of thing I'll listen to the originals". I said I will try any thing at least two times and I am glad I did.

15. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Saw Beachwood Sparks, Once We Were Trees, and Make The Cowboy Robots Cry at the last remaining music store.

Based upon my recollection of this threads' raves, I picked them up.

Ben Toscano likes this.
  16. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

Nice finds. These records are getting hard to find.

lightbulb likes this.
  17. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Great records. "Once We Were Trees" is my favorite of the three, but all have received heavy rotation over the years.

funknik, lightbulb and Ben Toscano like this.
  18. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

There is also the All Night Radio album Spirit Stereo Frequency to consider. When I listen to this band I generally listen to the whole catalog all the way through.

Ben Toscano and funknik like this.
  19. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

they are OK bit dull, over rated.

20. It's Felix

they opened for mbv!!!!!!!

21. It's Felix

where in bucks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.