Olivia Newton-John on SHM SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'm pleased it came. It took a while!

Also glad you liked it. It's a really nice sounding SACD. I agree Landslide sounds very good. Some masterings are very shrill and irritating. With the wrong mastering Landslide can really get on your nerves! On this SACD though, it's nigh on perfect.

Considering this album was recorded around the same time as Hall & Oates' Private Eyes and H20 albums, this sounds about a million times better than those MOFI SACDs. Recovery and Carried Away sound good. Silvery Rain also really shines on this SACD, and the title track sounds as good as it ever will do!

Also like the packaging as it contains all the original artwork and is very tastefully done.

Again, glad you like it, and thanks for taking the time to give us your opinion of it here.

Pizza and bru87tr like this.
  2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

You nailed describing the other good tracks.

I will say, you can crank this and it sounds really great.

This disc is definitely the best version I have heard.

Pizza and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Now if we can only get Have You Never Been Mellow, Totally Hot and Xanadu and I'd be totally happy.

bru87tr and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

This SACD sounds better the louder you crank it. Come On Over is the same, though that's a warmer and more analogue sounding disc.

Worst version of Physical? The 2010 SHM CD. It's horrible. So loud it distorts all the way through. Avoid!

5. Bobby Morrow

I so agree. Sadly, as we've said before, the Japanese seem to have lost interest on Olivia SACDs...

Out of the ones you mention, surely Xanadu has the best chance?

bru87tr and Pizza like this.
  6. Pizza

I think over time big albums become smaller and smaller and then forgotten. I'm amazed at some of the comments I read even on the Beatles catalogue. I guess if you weren't there at the time then you won't appreciate it. I can accept that.

I'm glad I picked up the UK and Japan vinyl editions of Xanadu and did my own rips along with the US edition. Big difference in sound from the CDs. It's weird how the Olivia side sounds best on the US vinyl and ELO sounds better in the UK.

Bobby Morrow and bru87tr like this.
  7. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I would love to hear Totally Hot on SACD. It was recorded and mastered so well.

Xanadu after that.

Bobby Morrow and Pizza like this.
  8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:righton: And also "Don't Stop Believin'."

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    bru87tr, Bobby Morrow and Pizza like this.
  9. Pizza

Yep. Another goody!

10. Bobby Morrow

I do love the Come On Over SACD, but if you'd asked me which 70s Olivia album I'd want on the format, that would probably have been my last choice...

11. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I absolutely love Come on Over and I think the SACD is fantastic, but I agree that it wouldn't have been my top choice for an Olivia release on SACD. Totally Hot and Xanadu for sure would be at the top of my list (along with Physical, which, thankfully, we got on SACD).

12. Pizza

It was a surprising ONJ SACD debut title. But, then we all learned about its popularity in Japan that, at least, I wasn't aware of at that time.

13. Pizza

Another thing I don't think much of the public or general music fans even here are aware of is how popular Totally Hot is amongst Olivia's fans. It was a big comeback album for her and created a new music brand. Still it followed Grease and was then followed by Physical. It's sandwiched between two of Olivia's biggest career achievements and it truly gets overlooked despite how great it is hits and all. If anything gets played these days it's going to be Physical or something from Grease. Even IHLY is becoming a forgotten footnote in time and it was huge.

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

To a point you are right.

I was 10 yrs old in 1978 and my younger cousin at the time, we were both hooked on the album.

It was the first woman we fell in love with. :). The cover helped. :)

So, 1978 was a big year for young ONJ fans. I remember going to the local theater to see Grease too. At the time it was Olivia overload and young boys were quite happy about it.

My point is, at the time we were listening to Totally Hot just as much as we were listening to Grease. Yes, we ran out and bought that too. :)

As well as trying to play like we were the Thunderbirds in the neighborhood in fake leather jackets, white T's and jeans. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

BTW: as much as I played Grease, which turned out to be more than Totally Hot in the following years (as well as watching the movie a million times). When I go to listen to Olivia, I pull out Totally Hot every time.

Although, when Xanadu came out, a buddy of mine and I pretended we were ELO playing as the band and lip syncing to the music. :)

We loved the ELO side. Loved the backing vocals. We had a blast pretending we were the band ELO. When it was time to take a break, we then played the Olivia side.

These days though, I play Totally Hot more than anything else of hers. Being its a great sounding album helps too. I have more copies than I need on CD and vinyl of TH. :)

16. Bobby Morrow

I think the MCA is the best CD version of Totally Hot. Also have the Festival 1998 and the SHM CD 2010 editions.

Pizza and bru87tr like this.
  17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Yes, nothing beats the MCA. It sounds almost as good as the vinyl. So they did a great job recording and mastering it.

I had the festival at one time and sold it as it was obvious it was not as good.

I own the MCA, the MCA two on one, I had the festival, the SHM CD, the original US vinyl and the Original Japan first pressing vinyl with original obi in mint mint mint condition. That vinyl sounds so lush it is not funny. Perfectly quiet!

The SHM CD is cool as it replicates that original japan vinyl release.

18. Bobby Morrow

I have the UK and US vinyl, though I don't think I ever played the latter. I've also been on the lookout for the French Sonopress vinyl version. It's the only one to feature a gatefold sleeve!

19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Now why did you have to go tell me that! :)

Wow, a gatefold sleeve ? Now I have to see if I can find it on eBay. Have a picture you might have found online of it ?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I always wondered, how is the MoFi vinyl ? I think someone said it is good.

There is a French gatefold on eBay, pricey though.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Sorry!

Someone on here did post me a scan of the gatefold, but I can't remember what ONJ thread it's on! The inside of the gatefold is the same as the original inner sleeve. Lyrics on one side. Pic of Olivia with the scarf around her mouth on the other. Nice, though.

Never heard/seen the MOFI vinyl. Someone on here must have it though. Didn't they do one for Physical too?

22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I don't think Physical was done by mfsl.

If you find what thread let me know. Sounds cool and will keep and eye out on eBay for a cheap one.

A sealed mfsl sold for $16 recently. Wish I seen that!

23. Bobby Morrow

I'll have a scout around for that scan. I seem to think it might be on the ONJ albums thread.. That's a mighty long thread, though...

bru87tr likes this.
  24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

BTW: the Physical SHM-SACD seems to be extremely rare. I think I was lucky to find one on discogs.

I have yet to see one listed or sold on eBay.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

I did see a Physical SACD on eBay the other day. It was going for twice it's original price, which I don't suppose was too bad... It's the first one I've seen in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.