What is the best free music player for android?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I use winamp for some random MP3s but for the most part use Google play music. I don't really see the need to put music on my phone as I can upload everything to Google play and then I have my entire library at all times.

Col Kepper likes this.
  2. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I like DeadBeef - it is nice and minimal, no unnecessary bloat.

3. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

JetAudio Player...... free and it plays every sort of codex

4. Col Kepper

I put my music on the microSD card.

5. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Either way, I don't see the need for the most part. Then again if you aren't in a 4G area, I guess that's a reason to do it.

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Data caps. Not all 3G is equal. 4G will KILL your battery life. Wi-fi isn't around most places. Signal strength varies.

Tons of reasons to listen locally.

7. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

I like Poweramp because it has a 10 band graphic EQ and I can use the EQ to help correct the frequency balance in my car when I plug the phone into the AUX input of my 2010 Outback which has WAY too much bass when set to flat response. If I use the bass control on the car unit, it takes out too much of the mid frequencies. Do any of these other players have a comparable EQ?

8. kapil Jindal

kapil Jindal New Member

After reading all the comments here, I found out that everyone's expectations are different, so not a single music player can please all. I myself use Power Amp and believe that it is the best music player for Android but I don't know how many of you would agree with me.

Here's a list of top 10 music players for Android, you can find out the one that suits you the most, http://thetecnica.com/2013/01/top-10-music-players-for-android

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I just pulled out the 20 or so albums I listen to the most and ripped them to my phone for local playback. At least I have some tunes wherever I go.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  10. Poweramp. No need to look further. Pay the five bucks or whatever and enjoy. Don't be cheap.

11. Col Kepper

I hate not being able to save apps I buy to use on the phone after I've reset them back to factory settings.

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Two options:

1. Back up your phone before doing the factory reset. (Personally I wouldn't go through such a bother, but I don't have a gazillion apps installed.)

2. After the reset, simply set up your phone again with the same gmail account you were previously using. Once that's done and you go to the Google Play market, you'll see all of the apps you previously purchased under "My Apps" and you can simply install them again.

Shak Cohen, Col Kepper and Kyhl like this.
  13. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

At the moment, I'm currently leaning towards 4 candidates. Flipbeats, JetAudio, Poweramp and Rocket Player. Sorta leaning towards Poweramp but the others look tempting also. About to part ways with my iPod(s) and have now installed a 64GB SD Card into my HTC M8. Looking to play flacs through my phone from now on.

14. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

The trouble with free apps is that the app developers are not very motivated to fix/improve the app when new versions of the Android SDK or new devices are released.
    I've written several Android apps and released a few as free on Google Play. Once they're out there, they get some downloads and positive comments. When I get negative comments or bug reports, I don't respond nearly as quickly as the commenter would like. I'm too busy earning a living by writing Android code for someone who pays me.
    On the other hand, if I released a "fremium" app - an app that can be upgraded to a premium version for a cost, I am certainly motivated to fix bugs and improve the free version. I want people to like and use the app. Eventually they upgrade to the paid version and my investment in time is rewarded with actual income.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Check out the Onkyo HF Player. It has a great equalizer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.