I need phono preamp suggestions...something under $200 used with a warm, full sound.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JazzPolice, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member Thread Starter

A friend of mine is looking for a MM phono stage to use with an old Shure cartridge. His system, which I've heard, is thin and somewhat bright sounding. He wants to use a turntable that he has and asked me for an inexpensive modern preamp suggestion. I know that Pro-Ject, Creek, Music Hall, NAD, etc make little sub-$200 preamps, but I haven't heard many of these. I've heard the Bellari and I think it's horrendous, so not that one. My question is this: What is the thickest, fullest, warmest, smoothest, darkest sounding phono preamp a person can buy for under $200 on the used market? Thanks!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Look at the Cambridge 540p, 551p, or for both mm and mc carts the 640p and 651p avalable from Amazon and or e bay.

Jim

Old Rusty and marcfeld69 like this.
  3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

thesisinbold likes this.
  4. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

If his system is 'thin and bright' it won't change just by adding a Phono.

Speakers are ?

5. triple

triple Senior Member

Undisclosed.

6. JazzPolice

I know you're trying to help, but I'm not going to disclose the rest of his system for the specific reason that I don't want to discuss it. The details are irrelevant and will be dealt with to the extent that they can be. I simply need recommendations for a budget phono preamp that is the complete opposite of thin and bright. Cheers

7. JazzPolice

8. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I've had both the rega mini and the fono. The big brother is much better. I was not that impressed by the mini. What hifi always give UK products great awards so be careful there.. I ended up with Heed questar which is a bit over your budget.

9. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

I've recently purchased a used Cambridge audio 540p MM for my Dual TT. I can't believe how good this little gem is, if you're still looking, then this a my recommendation.

10. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I can see a mk1 on AudigoN below $200 but not the mk2 did you get to hear the mk1?

11. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I had the MKII. I believe you should be able to find a used MKII below 200USD (I can in Sweden) and it's a great phono amp for that price.

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Look for a used Phonomena II. It is going to be hard to beat, and you might hit that price as a revised model is for sale now.

13. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

I have experienced the same thing just great soundstage and clarity. With two minor modifications it can get even better, first replace the the original wall wart with one with higher voltage and amps, say 15v ac at 1amp. Mine is that way it really does boost the quality of the unit. second mod for those with soldering skills remove the sub sonic filter caps and link across and lift the resistors that bypass the filter and it will really open up the RIAA side.

Jim

14. JazzPolice

Any comments regarding the iPhono or Micromega Mygroov?

15. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Just get an amp with tone controls.:D

jeff

16. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I have a Cambridge Audio 640P and absolutely love it. IMO for your budget (which was mine as well) it's among the best you can get, and it's popular enough that they are easy to find used. (I got mine on Audiogon.)

17. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I recently purchased a built-up Hagerman Bugle 2 phono stage; under $200, so far it sounds pretty neutral, hum isn't a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.