Poll: Your favorite of these maligned albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Voted Yes-Union

Kiss-¨Music From The Elder¨ was a big flop upon release back then. I immediately loved it and hoped for Kiss to continue in that musical direction, looked fwd. to the movie and all that. There seems to have gained cult status 3 decades later which kind of proves I was not entirely wrong.

Discharge-¨Grave New World¨ was bastardized because of the change in musical direction and vocal style. Getting the lp was no easy task because there had been released on cd by Toy Factory Japan in a limited number. Finally got an Ex canadian pressing.

Blitz-¨Second Empire Justice¨. Total change in musical direction and a blatant bandwagon jumping from Oi ! to post-punk, drumming machine included. One of my all-time favs.

Vice Squad-¨Shot Away¨. Their fans never forgave the change of vocalist, even when she was great and musically the album improved leaps and bounds over the debut one.

Anti-Pasti-¨Caution In The Wind¨. A really prophetic name since their members decided to incorporate a more rock 'n roll-influenced sound. Another great fav of mine suffering from the sophomore record syndrome.

2. botley

botley Forum Resident

The Stones' Dirty Work has grown on me a little, but Hot Space has been one of my favourites ever since I first heard it. An outstanding LP, very unfairly slighted by Queen's "fans".

3. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Filed under " Just how much more can you actually scrape off an already well scrapped bottom of the barrel?"

My late mom , bless her soul, was a die hard Elvis fan and in fact, she was the one who turned me on to the greatness of The King when I was a mere heavy metal kid, but even she felt totally ripped off by this one and we definitely bonded in agreement that it was sacrilegious.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    mschrist and Haristar like this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Black Tie White Noise by David Bowie.

5. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I think that is still one of his most popular albums in the Detroit area, mostly due to the wedding reception favorite "My Eyes Don't Cry".

Monosterio likes this.
  6. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

R.E.M., with "Dirty Work" and "Press To Play" tied in second. Not bad records, but not very good is how I remember them. I'll have to pull them out to see if I can properly get my hate on.

7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Tie between Hot Space and Self Portrait.

8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

And that's not even one of my favorite songs. I think the album is almost as good as Hotter Than July. (After Characters it was over, though. :cry:)

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That would be The Mosquito or Ships w/ Sails.

bRETT likes this.
  10. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Always loved `Self Portrait` and REM`s `Around The Sun` is a wonderful album, SP edged it for me.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Tough to pick one of these. Went with The Doors. There were some good cuts on those records "In the Eye of the Sun" is great.

12. DreadPikathulhu

I went with Hot Space. The Genesis, Van Halen, Doors, and REM are all missing key players. Dirty Work is better than most of what followed.

13. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

All of these were maligned for pretty solid reasons. That said, I went with 'Steal Your Face'. 'Union' would have been my second pick.

14. Queen's Hot Space is somewhat a departure from their previous style and didn't meet with many fans' expectations. I don't think it's sub-par at all. It's one of my favorites.

longaway, Gems-A-Bems and andy75 like this.
  15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Calling All Stations for me. I don't love it unconditionally but it's grown on me over the years. Hot Space has a few good tracks but I have a hard time listening to it. I'm glad Queen upped the rock quotient somewhat for the next album....

16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I'm a big Rolling Stones fans so I picked Dirty Work (1986). It probably deserved to be maligned back then but it really isn't that terrible a record after all these decades.

Its does have a very interesting history during its production. DW was the end result of a band not doing well in its middle years.
    Many of their contemporaries or those who followed soon after didn't do well in the 1980s, either.
    Even the cover is telling.

"Had It With You" which was the b-side to "Harlem Shuffle" nicely summed up the state of the Stones back in the day.

bonus likes this.
  17. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Voted for R.E.M., but Press To Play is close.

18. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

re: Sabbath---not even close IMO. Maybe the worst of the Ozzy albums, but Never Say Die is much better than Born Again, Seventh Star, or any of the Tony Martin albums.

19. DreadPikathulhu

I would add Born Again to the unfairly maligned list.

20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Born Again has lots of fans. It's a controversial record for sure, but I don't think of it as an unfairly maligned album at all.

21. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought about it, but it was difficult because Sabbath has about 5 or 6 severely maligned albums in addition to Born Again.

22. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Press to Play was even too maligned for this McCartney fan so it will not get my vote.

But I do love the single version of the title track.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  23. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

the only one I know is Self Portrait and I have always liked it

HominyRhodes likes this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

The Tony Martin and Glenn Hughes stuff is fairly maligned, in my opinion. Better to treat the Dio stuff as a separate band called Heaven and Hell.

25. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Perhaps any of the post-Keith Moon Who albums could be included, Face Dances (1981), Its Hard (1982) & even Endless Wire (2006).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.