Norah Jones CD better than SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diver110, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This question lives on the edge of music/hardware. I have both the CD and SACD of Norah Jones Come Away With Me (not, however, AP SACD). I have both a high quality CD player and SACD player. It is a long story how I did the comparison, but the CD sounds better to me than the SACD, including the CD layer on the SACD. It is the only music where I have both formats, so I could not do other comparisons, though in general I am very happy with the sound of SACD on my Oppo with Modwright mods. Assuming I am not crazy, is there something the SACD layer could be doing to degrade the sound?

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Possibly the mastering is different (I don't know with that album). Or perhaps you just like the sound of your CD player better, at least with that recording.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

You have to compare the CD and SACD layers using the same player. From your post it sounds like you use different player to compare the different layers, or I didn't understand correctly?
    Apart of that, something I observed with some of my SACDs (mostly orchestral music) is that usually the SACD layer is a bit softer and quieter, but more natural and subtle. Perhaps the CD layer suits better some other genres (if mastered in the same fashion), and sounds more impressive (more punch and edge).

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

If I remember correctly the stereo layer on the SACD is the same as the CD layer. You are just hearing the difference between your CD and SACD players. Get the AP

john lennonist, eelkiller and mikeyt like this.
  5. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I read somewhere on the SH forums that the original SACD (not the AP) was sourced from the CD.

john lennonist likes this.
  6. Diver110

That is exactly what I noticed! Well at least as to the quieter and softer part. I increased the gain, but to my ear the SACD seemed less dynamic. Did you notice a difference in dynamics? I listened to the CD layer of the SACD on the CD player, and the CD on the SACD player. Is there a way on the Oppo to just listen to the CD layer?

7. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I actually don't own this particular SACD, my comment was based on a general observation when I compare the CD and SACD layers on my (moslty classical music) SACD's. I don't know about the dynamic range (never used any tool to measure it), but usually the microdynamics on the SACD layer are better compared to the CD layer.
    I also don't have OPPO player, but I'm almost sure that you have to be able to chose which layer to play.

8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Not a good disc to test with, the SACD layer is derived from a redbook source.

john lennonist likes this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Many of my red book CD's are better than there SACD counterparts.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That is correct. The 2ch SACD layer, anyway. The MCH SACD layer was legit.

11. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

This may interest you:
    See?!?!
    [cause the CD & SA-CD you have are the same source/so of course you like the CD on the Cyrus better/cause you like CD's in general on the Cyrus better/simple!/try the CD & SA-CD on the Oppo]

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

You are all correct. More information is available here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-stereo-track-sourced-from-16-44-1-pcm.41540/

13. Diver110

I hate it when I people remember my prior posts. :D Well, I did try to do what you suggest by comparing the CD on the Oppo with the SACD on the Cyrus. I plan to write a review later after I have done some more listening. So far, I think the Oppo/Modwright is a CD upgrade over the Cyrus/Maplehade, but the latter was better than the Oppo stock. I would put the stock Oppo about half way between a Meridian 508 and the Cyrus/Mapleshade (which I think is much better than the Merdian).

14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Oppo:
    "Wake Up Call!"

i like hearing bout Oppo surpassing more expensive players [uni or even better non-uni] & luv hearing bout Mod'ED* Oppos besting more expensive multi or CD only units too!!
    So, let's hear it!!!

* which Oppo & which ModWright mods for you?!?!
    What tubes are you using???

me Oppo 95:
    MW Tube Mod
    MW Tube Power Supply [both PS 9.0 versions]
    MW Solid State MCH Mod
    MW Bybee Rail 2CH Mod & MCH Mod
    MW Region Adjustable
    &
    MW Truth Umbilical.
    A 20-11 "Rocky Mountain Audio Fest" demo unit.

Steve's take a while back on a ModWright:

15. Diver110

Mine is about the same, except I did not get the region mod.

16. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

17. Diver110

BIG ED likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.