I officially declare my HATRED for Imagine Dragons

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Friction is also a pretty cool song, with a middle-eastern flavor. It kind of has a Timbaland-style beat to it.

I like "It Comes Back to You" which is a really nice lighter song, not in their typical style. It sounds more Coldplay-ish.

2. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Imagine what now?
    I forgot the question.

3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Okay, definitely not a fan but thanks for trying. Of the three, "Summer" was the best song. It had an interesting beat and the chorus was decent but the song was still pretty bland, overall.

4. How is it possible to hate a band when you can just ignore them and listen to something you like.

MoonPanda, lightbulb and mdpierocarey like this.
  5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Didn't like either of these. "Friction" is horrible and the other one is really dull. Recommnending something as Coldplay-ish is damning it with faint praise.

6. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I thought this was a cleverly disguised "Beatles" thread... :D:D

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I think some people may need to prioritize their Hatred just a little bit more...:p

starduster likes this.
  8. Well not here he's not. It's blocked.

9. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Life is too short to hate, what I don't like...I ignore. Much less stressful.

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, hating, is much more fun. Almost like a lawn sport; things get punctured, but nobody really gets hurt.

11. VinyLen

VinyLen Forum Resident

I wonder if you can.

hishou and no.nine like this.
  12. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

They were one of the headliners at BottleRock in May, so I picked up their latest album to listen in the car on the drive up to Napa (my wife already had their first album). Aside from a few awards show performances and hearing them pop up on the radio when I didn't control the dial, I had never taken the time to listen to them. My biggest complaint was that they don't seem to have any particular sound or vision. It's just a bunch of disjointed songs that you wouldn't guess were all performed by the same band if you didn't hear them consecutively while playing one of their albums.

That, and I couldn't believe how much of their tunes had creeped into TV programming (commercials, background music, sports intros, movie trailers, etc.) And I had no idea most of those songs were theirs. They're the kind of band that makes music to be consumed as easily as possible.

We left halfway through their set after 40 minutes of indifference.

13. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

First heard the Weird Al parody Inactive. I liked it and it recreates the lo-fi distortion. Sounded odd at first. My son loved the parody but he already liked the original. Then I heard another one of their songs on Sirius xm today at a store. Sounded very Coldplay-esque which is great for me since I like Coldplay. With that and after reading this thread, I think I'm going to get the cd and check out the first album.

14. nbakid2000

Completely disagree. They're about the only band out there with their style, before they got ripped off by one or two others [Bastille]. When you hear them, you instantly know it's an Imagine Dragons song. I mean, I'm preeeeetty familiar with new music, and the first time I heard an Imagine Dragons song I was like, "wow, this is different." Regardless of whether you like or hate them or if they're hacks or whatever, they DON'T sound like anyone else. If someone else can name some bands they sound identical to, please let me know.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  15. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I like some Imagine Dragons songs (I mentioned way back earlier in the thread that I really liked It's Time, and have warmed up to Demons a lot since then) but I never thought they had a really unique sound.

I mean, the first time I heard It's Time come on, I thought it was Matt and Kim for the first few seconds, or a Grouplove song. They're a pretty good band, but they never struck me as incredibly different from a lot of what would come across on an alt rock channel.

16. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

They create music to chant to at concerts.....

Synthfreek likes this.
  17. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Well some have said they're a pretty good live band.

18. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Peter Buck was recently quoted as saying that he apologised for inventing indie rock:

“I was with…some people, watching a football game. And one of those indie-rock-by-numbers songs came on. And it sounded just enough like R.E.M. that there was a little silence, and I said, ‘I’d like to apologize for inventing indie rock.’”

I have a suspicion that the band he was referring to was Imagine Dragons.

19. nbakid2000

20. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I love REM - top 5 group for me - but they are so pretentious. I can't stand listening to them in any sort of interview.

And I like new music, but from what I've heard on the radio, I can get by without Imagine Dragons.

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I am watching their live performance on Farm Aid's webcast. Holy smokes, this band is awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.