What's with mail from Canada?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Lunna, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've ordered a couple of CDs in the past month from Canada (and am still waiting for one that is seven days overdue). Average time has been up to two weeks, though post isn't cheap from there (I'm in NYC). The latest package arrived at the Chicago processing facility from Ontario 7 days ago and the trail ends there.

Are others having similar problems with receiving packages from the Great White North in timely fashion?

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Customs is the issue, not Canada post. It works the same when people ship from the USA to Canada. It is best not to order internationally if delays are not tolerated.

3. Shipping between the two countries with USPS and CP is slow at the best of times, and it doesn't matter where it originates from. I just received a cable mailed in a small padded envelope and sent expedited mail. It was mailed from New Orleans on Feb.3 and arrived in Calgary on Feb. 24. That's 3 weeks!

4. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

It is strange. I've had packages arrive from Japan to Midwest USA in a few days.

somnar likes this.
  5. Same with the UK. Usually within 5 business days....10 at most.

Front 242 Addict and somnar like this.
  6. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

2 weeks is normal

7. jrice

jrice Senior Member

The weather could be at least partially to blame. The Northeast is having one of the coldest and snowiest seasons in a long time. Every time a planeload of mail gets delayed a backlog starts building. Then they have to decide whether to focus on today's mail, yesterday's mail or the mail from three days ago.

8. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Yup 2 weeks (to and from US) is very normal however like others said, as a rule UK and some other EU countries are much quicker. Very odd..

SoporJoe likes this.
  9. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good to know, I guess - though I did get something from Halifax in three days a couple of weeks ago, although when I ordered something else from the same person, it took well over two weeks (not his fault). Like others, I've gotten items from England within just a couple of days as well as from Germany too. I wonder what the deal is at customs - I can't imagine them inspecting every little package ...

Which leads me to another completely different question - how is it that some folks in England, Germany, and even Hong Kong, can ship packages here to the US and only charge 2 or 3 dollars for shipping (and the items themselves aren't very expensive to start with)?

10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It is a crapshoot at Customs, I have had packages from the USA held up for extended periods, no rhyme or reason. Our rates here in Canada are ridiculous, it can cost $8 for small packet air to the USA plus the cost of packaging. The people overseas you mention have to be losing money on shipping, $3 is incredible? We can't send a package within Canada for $3. :)

11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

USPS usually slows the process.

Most records I've mailed to the US land in 3 to 5 days. One record took 62 days to get from Ontario to PA, which is less than an 8 hour drive. USPS had no explanation for the customer. Finally, after 62 days, the customer received his record, in undamaged condition.

12. I think you hit the nail on the head. For all the b!tching we do about Canada Post, I find the USPS to be the real culprit most of the time.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

It is a crapshoot. I've had things take 1-3 weeks to get to their US destination. I usually send an e-mail when I ship asking for their patience, otherwise I start getting impatient messages from them in a few days for the most part.

14. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I find the canadian post fast and efficient.

I live in Israel and I order a lot from Canada (CDs) from different sellers with regular air mail shipping , the average time for arrival
    6-10 days , these are Excellent delivery times considering the distance.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.