Are laserdiscs worth getting or am I better off with DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AxC., Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Oops; it is !! Well; I got it for free anyway:D

2. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I've got one LV of movie trailers that a local theatre used to run in the lobby of the theatre. They must have changed them about once a month or so. It is a pressed disc also. I think they were something the United Artists chain sent to their theatres to use,

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It is a pity, because you get a brief glimpse of the stage and audience on the KAOS disc. I've always wondered if more was shot.

Pinknik likes this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

I'd be surprised if they ever rerelease La Carerra. It's so dated now watching a young Nick Mason race cars, but I enjoy the soundtrack. Maybe someday they'll give us an AMLoR Deluxe and stuck it on there as a bonus.

Pinknik likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes a bootleg and mastered from the PAL VHS tape, so it is missing "Money" which was not included in that release originally. Asian "import" as they are sometimes called.

6. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Another tech question:

Since the stand alone AC3 RF Demodulators are now becoming rarer to find these days, is there any other way of getting discrete 5.1 from my Laserdisc player?

7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Huge benefit of laserdisc non contact playback and random access made it perfect for industrial use, kiosks, displays, anything which needed to loop, etc. it could run for hours, jump to the location it needed, and never need to rewind or anything.

Back in the mid-90's some stores used to have nintendo power kiosks - an SNES hooked up with a special cart which controlled a laserdisc player. They'd periodically send discs and they would have promo videos for new games, etc. one of these got ripped and put on YouTube. Wonderful "xtreme" advertising for the then-unreleased virtual boy, really great stuff. I'd love to have one of those discs myself.

I'm also fairly certain that all the pre-ride video material at universal theme parks is played from laserdisc, or at least was at one point. Might even still be!

8. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Beatles - Let it Be - Every serious music LD collection must have this
    Paul Weller - Live Wood (Japanese LD) Only issued on VHS other than the Japan issue. There was a PAL DVD
    Paul Weller Movement - Brixton 1991 (Japanese LD) Only issued on VHS other than the Japan issue. No DVD
    Style Council - Showbiz! (Japanese LD) Only issued on VHS other than the Japan issue. There was a PAL DVD
    Yes - Live 1975 at Q.P.R. Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 (Japanese LD) later issued on a sketchy gray area DVD set mastered from the LD.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes:_Live_–_1975_at_Q.P.R.
    The Great Rock 'n Roll Swindle - Japanese LD has a great long trailer that I am not sure has appeared elsewhere
    The Beatles at Budokan (official Japan-only release by Apple)
    The Bee Gees Live (complete Australian concert from 1989)

I'll also add:

Bob Dylan: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Hard to Handle (1986) - http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/29353...amp;-The-Heartbreakers:-Hard-to-Handle-(1986)
    The Beatles: The Compleat Beatles - http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/39074/UMLV-10166/Compleat-Beatles-The-(1982)
    Dolly Parton: Live in London (1983) - http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/24906/PA-84-068/Dolly-Parton:-Live-in-London-(1983) - According to lddb.com , this Laserdisc features an SQ Quadraphonic mix!!!!

9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

There might have been some discs intended for display to customers, but IIRC the majority of them were intended for internal sales and service training. I haven't looked at any of them in a very long time and they're in storage now. I have somewhere around 40-50 of them - picked them up for practically nothing back when I was still actively collecting LDs and would grab anything that looked remotely interesting if the price was right. :targettiphat:

10. DreadPikathulhu

Nope. It's actually embedded as an analog signal on one of the audio channels. Very odd implementation of the technology.

11. DreadPikathulhu

12. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Actually the transfer was with an LD-S9. Trust me I know this first hand ;)

quicksrt, MrRom92 and Pinknik like this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

There is at least one Rush disc that aren't available on DVD so far as I know.

[​IMG]

And this classic:

[​IMG]

One of the best Rolling Stones documentaries, and really, how much has changed in the last 25 years?

[​IMG]

This one is great for the Bill Wyman skits:

[​IMG]

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

15. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Just thought of another particularly cool LD, The Archival Film Disc. From LDDb.com (http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/52884...The:-Trailers-and-Other-Lost-Treasures-(1992)):

I can attest to the "very limited quantities" bit - I searched in vain for a copy for several years before finally scoring one on eBay for $20, thanks to a bare-bones description that wouldn't have meant much to anyone who wasn't already familiar with the disc.

MrRom92 likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

17. BradOlson

This list has all of the receivers with built-in decoders and lots of these have digital outputs as well if one has a newer receiver they'd rather use. A lot of these receivers do maintain their value extremely well online as there are LD collectors who want these, and these are among the least expensive in the used market receivers that have the phono input as well as some of these are still among the best built A/V receivers ever made.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  18. BradOlson

Look for a separate SQ quad decoder on eBay, etc. that still works or one of those quad decoders that decodes ALL quad formats.

19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

You're a good kid. :)

20. BradOlson

21. BradOlson

There were many movies that had DTS soundtracks on their LaserDiscs that the DTS wasn't reissued on the DVD and DTS LaserDiscs are among the most collectible LDs out there.

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The Last American Picture Show
    Peter Bogdanovich's masterpiece is only available on dvd as a "director's cut."
    He added some scenes, but edited out what is, to me, some crucial scenes that included nudity.
    The unedited version is only available on tape or Laserdisc now, sadly.
    Prude.

23. DreadPikathulhu

I remember very clearly when the DTS discs were being cleared out around 2000 for $20 each (it may have been less). Unfortunately, I was unemployed at the time and could only grab a few. I have never, in my years of looking through used discs, come across a used DTS disc.

24. BradOlson

The only ways to have "The Electric Horseman" with the original Willie Nelson recording of My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys heard is on LaserDisc, VHS or on the Image Entertainment letterboxed, not anamorphic WS, DVD

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  25. BradOlson

LaserDisc:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.