Advise on SACD Playback Setting

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by blurayisking, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blurayisking

blurayisking Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an OPPO 103 Blu-ray player connected via HDMI to my YAMAHA 6180 receiver. The OPPO 103 allows the user to select the SACD Output format between PCM or DSD signal to the connected home theatre receiver. The YAMAHA 6180 receiver has the ability to display the SACD incoming signal to be either PCM or DSD on the receiver's front panel. The OPPO manual merely says that the choice is about what sound the user prefers which isn't much help because technically both options will work. The YAMAHA receiver offers no information in regard to how it handles an incoming DSD signal. One would assume that it converts the incoming DSD signal to PCM.

My question is which setting makes more sense ?????? Is it better to convert the DSD to PCM in the OPPO player before sending to the signal to the receiver OR is it better to pass the DSD signal directly thru the OPPO and let the receiver handle the conversion from DSD to PCM ????????

On the surface, you would think it shouldn't much matter but I believe there is probably a preferred choice.

Comments are most welcome.

2. Why don't you try both and stick with the one that sounds better to you?

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

On my old Oppo I preferred PCM over DSD Via HDMI , my receiver at the time could decode DSD over it, as Roland stated choose what sounds best for you :)

4. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

DSD to analog is the way to go, leave PCM out altogether if you can.

Jeff8086 likes this.
  5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I think the 103 analog out sounds pretty darn good.

Pretty wide soundstage. Better than my Onkyo for sure.

6. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

You want the better DAC to perform the Digital to Analog conversion.

If the BDP-103's internal Cirrus Logic CS4382A DAC is better than your Yamaha HTR-6180 (AKA RX-V863) DAC then let the Oppo perform the DSD D/A conversion and, IMO, send the resultant analog signal to your Yamaha via the analog out RCA cables.

If the Yamaha DAC is the better DAC then send the pure DSD signal via HDMI to the Yamaha and let it's DAC perform the DSD D/A conversion.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/100883/101513
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...vers-pre-pros-pure-dsd-analog-processing.html

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    bru87tr and c-eling like this.
  7. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would tend to think the 6180 doesn't play DSD direct if a DSD signal is sent from the 103. I have a Denon 4311 and it accepts DSD direct. Most processors that accept DSD direct are in the mid to higher priced units. As suggested I'd try setting the 103 to both DSD and PCM then listen to which sounds best to you. Chances are you might not hear any sound quality differences.

Bill

9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

But I assume that no bass management processing can still be performed on the DSD domain, so it has to be converted first to PCM.

10. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Bumping this because I'm currently doing the DSD to PCM conversion on my Oppo 105 and sending the analog signal to my older Denon receiver. Any affordable options for a receiver that can decode pure DSD (<$1000)?

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Which Denon AVR do you have? I'd suggest the Denon 4311 which was in my system before buying an Emotiva XMC-1. I still have the 4311 and have no plans to sell it as it's nice to have a back up just in case. The newer Marantz AVRs do DSD over HDMI and would be a great option as well. Is this mainly for stereo SACD playback or multichannel as well?

Bill

12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I have the AVR-2307CI which almost certainly doesn't support DSD (I'm pretty sure it's HDMI 1.0, anyway). I want to do both stereo and multichannel.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The 2307 is HDMI 1.1 so it doesn't do DSD over HDMI. Would you use Audyssey XT32 if you bought an AVR that had it? I ask as I found it worked great for multichannel music and movies especially the subs. But I preferred listening to stereo music in direct.

Bill

14. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

HDMI 1.2 is the earliest version that can support DSD but it is not a guarantee that it will in every instance. The device manufacturer has to choose to implement it.

Bill Mac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.