The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Oh yeah that's a good tune, sort of music hall psychedelia but with a strange medieval vibe. On those early recordings I like how that tune serves as counterpoint to Pig's blues rave-ups. They had a lot of balance and range when he was around. Bobby sort of takes on Pig's role when he's gone, but to me the range and contrast was diminished. But on the other hand at least Bob wrote tunes.

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

good way to drown your sorrows.

I think I will play Capitel Centre, Landover, MD 3/14/1990

3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

When I listen to the Dead I want WARTs and all

4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I've been emailing back and forth with my old touring buddy. Listening to my 21st birthday show, 6/11/93. Buckeye Lake, Sting opening. Three Dylan songs, Eyes to open 2nd set, Brokedown encore. And, they played great!

Erik B. likes this.
  5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

6/11/93 was one of the very first AUD tapes I ever heard. My friend went to the show and gave me a copy. Fantastic "Foolish Heart" and "So Many Roads"

In fact, now that I think about it, when I got the news at work that Jerry died, I went out to my car and happened to have 6/11/93 in the tape deck. I blasted "So Many Roads" as loud as I could.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I regret missing that show as it was in my home state (Ohio) right around the time I became a serious fan. As it was I only saw the Dead at their return to that venue the following year, when the band (Jerry) was in worse shape.

7. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

This is the album that first made me appreciate the Dead.

8. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Listening to 6/8/80 ( second 15th Anniversary show/ Folsom Field, Boulder ) for a bit of contrast to the Chicago weirdness. Zevon's great version of Werewolves of London with hilarious GD references in his spirited opening set. A large curtain strung to cut off a third of the field and still plenty of room to groove. Purple, Green, Blue and Rose Red (color of Jerry's glasses) free for the masses. Intro "... I guess this is the beginning of the second 15 years. Ladies and Gentleman the Grateful Dead." Phil's nice lead into Uncle John's Band> Playing in the Band> Uncle John's Band , that is one great way to open a show. The rest of the show was so-so but it really did not matter. The overall feeling was surprise that the GD had made it 15 years and a possibility of more to come. The vibe was easy and open not the feeling I am getting from these upcoming so called Grateful Dead shows.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Crimson Witch and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

Yeah, the seguing into Dark Star is what I love as well. It flows so naturally.

Listening to the primal Road Trips vol.2 no. 2 (1968).....wearing my caveman gear right now as I listen.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I find myself reaching for Fall 1977 more than May 1977 these days.

11. hackster

hackster Forum Resident

Grateful Dead - September 30, 1980
    Warfield Theatre - San Francisco, CA

Recording Info:
    SBD -> Cassette Master -> FLAC

Transfer Info:
    FLAC -> Adobe Audition v5.5 -> Samplitude Pro X2 Suite -> FLAC
    (3 Discs Audio / 1 DVD FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller

JRM likes this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

From Egypt with Love

[​IMG]

I just threw on disc 2. I came for the "Ollin Arageed>Deal" but will stay for the killer, John Cippolina-fied NFA :edthumbs:

US Blues, JRM and Tree-bot like this.
  13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Drove home with my 8-year-old son in the backseat listening to Dick's Picks Vol 3 (Pembroke Pines, 5-22-77). When we are in the house, he starts humming "Terrapin Station."

[​IMG]

US Blues, Rne, KeninDC and 6 others like this.
  14. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

The other night, with my wife and 3 year old daughter in the car, "U.S. Blues" from DP 13 came up on shuffle. When my daughter heard the Bill Graham introduction she said, "Daddy, you love Grateful Dead!" Wife shook her head and laughed, I gave a fist pump, and the little one started nodding her head to the beat.

15. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

notesofachord likes this.
  16. Miller92473

Miller92473 Forum Resident

Thank you Tom! At that price I might have to jump in!

17. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Description says it's complete but no bonus disc is mentioned. The bonus disc is not essential IMO.

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Made it through disc 3 of this one last night on headphones. Wow. The quieter sections of Weather Report and the Jam are incredible. This is my favorite of the series by far (so far).
    I'm wondering how this was actually recorded. This was still Wall of Sound era, so there was no real soundboard? The stereo imaging is beautiful and really accentuates the interplay of the band. Were there separate audience mikes lined up with each section of the Wall?

The second set is an interesting push and pull between Weir and Garcia. They start off with an up-tempo trio, Sugar Mag, Scarlet and Big River. Then Garcia slows down with a beautiful To Lay Me Down. Weir jumps back up with Me and My Uncle. Up-tempo was not in Garcia's mind and he slowed it down again with a really nice Row Jimmy (usually not my cup of tea). Weir resists the desire to speed up again and the Weather Report is one of the best I've heard. This is where headphones (or a better listening room) really paid off. The space between the instruments during the quiet passages wouldn't have been as good listening in the car or at work.
    After really taking their time through the end of WRS and the Jam, they segue into US Blues, which is longer and more jammed out than usual. The end of show run really smokes, and is a great counterpoint to the more placid hour that preceded it. Promised Land, Goin Down The Road, Sunshine Daydream. This is a show that demanded a slow encore and Ship of Fools was a great choice.

I read a review of this set that said that the CC->Rider opener was worth buying the set for and that the remaining 2 1/2 discs were just a bonus. Quite a bonus!

Going back for round two (at least) before moving on to #13.

19. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Make sure it includes the red, white and blue "Good 'Ol Grateful Dead" pin.

Miller92473 likes this.
  20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I finally picked up my copy last fall for a similar price - a good deal indeed.

21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The "named jam" that the GD inserted into the transition of CC to IKYR in '73 and '74 is the Feelin' Groovy jam. They did this jam in a number of different keys; in this case, once CC goes to D and essentially becomes an extended intro to Rider, Bobby does his thing, then Jerry does his thing, then they go into Feelin' Groovy: | D | A/C# | G/B | A(7) | or I V IV V in D. It is the same feel and rhythmic pulse as the intro to Uncle John's Band, which uses essentially the same progression, but all in more simplified root position (unlike the second and third chords of the Groovy jam, which are in first inversion) and in G instead of D: | G | D | C | D |. So good ear!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

We share a birthday-you, me and Joe Montana.

On this day (3/2) in 1987, it was night 2 of the 3 shows in Oakland. It was either Chinese New Year or Mardi Gras. I forget. Show 1 wasn't much, but this one has a post-drums Truckin'>Dew that is definitely worth 20 minutes of your time.

https://archive.org/details/gd1987-03-02.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.82728.sbeok.flac16

Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

3/2/87 has a pretty hot Feel Like A Stranger as well. Someone on this forum, and probably this thread, recommended it a while back. I have not listened to that Truckin' - Dew sequence before, will need to check it out.

24. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Went for some early-'80s Dead tonight:

[​IMG]

Love the Music Never Stopped > Sugaree > Music Never Stopped sandwich. Let It Grow to close set one is pretty epic as well. I've always thought that 1982 was an underrated year for the Dead. Brent plays a lot more piano and their jams seem a bit jazzier than '81 or '83.

Bananas&blow and Daedalus like this.
  25. AugustWest83

AugustWest83 Member

Love '82. 10/10/82 Frost Ampitheatre is one of my all time favorite shows: