Beatles: The extra overdubbed snare.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist. Thread Starter

A lot of later Beatles recordings have an extra snare overdub. Presumeably to give some extra punch. The first one though was on Another Girl from Help.

But why didn't they just record Ringos snare differently so they wouldn't have to go through overdubbing yet a snare? It's always puzzled me.

2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I guess that Bernard Purdie's claim about all his drum overdubbing was really true! :D

Simon A, supernaut, Solaris and 6 others like this.
  3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Hey Bulldog, I'm So Tired and Yer Blues come to mind.

Not an easy feat when you're recording live to one track.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don't forget LADY M.

audiomixer and theMess like this.
  5. Kim Olesen

There are many more. I Am The Walrus is one of them. It seems to be centered around recordings from late 67 and all of 68

6. Kim Olesen

Not guilty is another one.

7. Kim Olesen

True but thats more like a full drum track and a percussian track only with a brushed snare. Like Calling Elvis (Dire Straits).

Keith V likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No one realized it at the time but Geoff's recording style squashed so much dynamically that after a few bouncedowns, the impact of the snare drum was totally lost. (Think of GOT TO GET YOU IN TO MY LIFE). So they started reinforcing it, simple as that.

9. Kim Olesen

That was what i was thinking too. And when they were a later in the recording of a song they realized it and dubbed another snare in.

Now these days it is commonpractise to stack the real snare with a bit of sampled snare to make it snappy. (Unpopular truth, but most modern rock albums has this). So really they were way ahead of the rest in doing this.

10. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

That is one of the most frustrating songs to listen to - dead drums and a quick fade out.

[email protected] likes this.
  11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I also seem to recall reading in one of my bazillion Beatles books or magazines that Norman Smith had to overdub a high hat part on a Beatles song due to some technical issue, but don't ask me for a source because I have no idea at this point where I read this factoid, or if it is actually documented satisfactorily to meet our stringent forum standards. :D

Simon A and willy like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Well, for my money if they were gonna overdub a snare drum on anything , they should have overdubbed three of them on "Helter Skelter". :D
    For a song that gets mentioned by some people ( me not included) as proto metal, or super heavy Beatles, etc., the snare drum has a tippy tap sound that doesn't really match the intensity of the rest of the track IMO.

Ringo should have taken the tea towel off of his snare for this song. :p

13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

There is some kind of overdubbed drums (not sure if it is tom + snare or snare alone) on "Glass Onion". Ken Scott mentions this in his book-----the last 'clomp-clomp' bridge sounds thinner because he accidentally erased the overdub track it was on by punching in too soon. He seems dismayed that the some fans regard that change as "brilliant" when it was merely a mistake.

Simon A likes this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Mumbo" by Wings had an overdubbed, deliberately trashy sounding second snare too (and the "Mumbo" link at the end of the album has that snare by itself).

15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

It sounds like "Good Day Sunshine" has one, straight drum track and a second with the cymbal crashes and the snare doing the triplet fills and occasionally doubling the beat.

I also read that the whole thing started when the snare got lost as they began to overdub more. I think it's a cool effect.

16. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Get out my head - all of my thoughts exactly!

I hate the tea towel!

17. Glenn Christense

Well, it's nice to know that I'm not a cult of one here regarding the tea towel.
    :D

daveidmarx likes this.
  18. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

I believe it was on "Can't Buy Me Love." The tape got wrinkled and someone had to fix it other than Ringo, as they were on tour in the States. Emerick talks about it in his book, but that can be suspect. I believe Lewinson can back it up as there is a session fee during mixing to an unnamed musician.

19. Glenn Christense

Thanks for coming up with my source. I did seem to recall that it was Emerick came up with the story. Knowing Emericks reliability facts -wise though, and lacking alternate documentation, I was covering my butt with disclaimers here. :p

Keith V likes this.
  20. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I think "You Won't See Me" has an overdubbed hi-hat
    but that may have been more for added effect

FJFP likes this.
  21. Glenn Christense

Could be. I'm not near any of my reference things at the moment to look it up.

22. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

Page 150, "The Complete Beatles Chronicles" Lewisohn -- March 10, 1964 -- during the stereo mixing of many tracks including "Can't Buy Me Love." In 1991, a document was uncovered suggesting a "drummer" participated in the 10:00am - 1:00pm session. He was paid a Musician's Union fee of 5 pounds 15 Shillings. Ringo was on set filming "A Hard Day's Night" for his Ringo solo scenes. Hard to imagine he could have stole off to do a drum overdub at Abbey Road. This is probably the story Geoff talked about.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  23. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

LOL! I'm a big fan of the tea towel but I know what you mean. It just wasn't a sound that suited every track and Helter Skelter is one of them.

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Sure does.

Keith V likes this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This will likely be addressed again by Lewisohn in Tune In: Vol. 2, due to arrive in 2059.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.