Upcoming Yes archival release: "Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy Two"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

It's great of them to put this out, and I applaud the effort, but I don't really see the broad appeal of the full set as a general release... This would make more sense as a limited type of deal, aimed at the fans, in the vein of Hendrix/Dagger.

"Even though the setlist didn’t vary much from night to night, the individual performances are strikingly different." :confused:

As far as I understand, the setlist didn't vary at all. And really, how strikingly different could the performances be - they're not exactly the Grateful Dead, or even the Allman Brothers (who similarly worked with static setlists in their prime). Throwing some Bruford shows in the mix would have added a lot of variety, or even shows from separate months - but seven consecutive ones?

Carserguev, Tristero and Pete Puma like this.
  2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the technical notes are very encouraging! i am excited.

Jvalvano, j.barleycorn and Plan9 like this.
  3. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those of us hoping for the Bruford tapes to see the light of day, here is their sole reference in the liner notes:

The decision to document the live Yes experience more formally had already been made, with tape rolling towards the end of the Fragile tour and at least three known dates—February 19 and February 23 at the Academy of Music in New York, and February 25 at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.

4. whiskeyvengeance

Not to threadcrap, but this is an interesting bit on Tormato. I know this had been speculated on before but never quite confirmed. Did a Dolby-corrected CD ever see the light of day?

rstamberg likes this.
  5. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Great to read that the music's dynamics are seemingly being left intact. That may have been a deal breaker for me.
    I wish there was some Bruford represented from earlier in the year but I'm very excited for this release.

6. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

:pineapple: Now it is a must buy for me. :drool:

O Don Piano and LordJohn like this.
  7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Even though I have decided on the double CD compilation set, I am still going to wait until I read some reviews about the sound quality. While I agree the technical notes all sound encouraging, I really don't want to buy another set that sounds like YesSongs.

*Zod* and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Glad to find this. Theres plenty of Alan White live Yes stuff out, not enough ABWHS for my tastes. I already have Yessongs, and it'd be nice to hear the drummer who actually co-wrote their most played material outside of "Owner of a Lonely Heart". The short clips on the BBC Yes documentary "Sounding Out", and the tracks Perpetual Change and Long Distance Runaround>>The Fish from Yessongs left me :drool: for more. I'd be happy with just the New York Academy shows. King Crimson was opening, and Bruford was no doubt in top form as he was trying to impress Fripp! I just don't see that or any other shows from that period anything short of mindblowing. And the drums parts aren't simplified from their studio versions to make them easier to play. looks like more waiting for me...

JAG likes this.
  9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Okay... No Bruford.

It's not exactly a deal breaker, but damn! A missed opportunity. There must be multi-track shows with him, since some of his performances made it to Yessongs...

I may opt for the 2-cd set.

BTW - we finally know why Yessongs sounded so bad, and Tormato!

Pete Puma and ledsox like this.
  10. whiskeyvengeance

Actually, since posting my similar comments earlier, I've found that someone discovered the Dolby issues on Tormato years ago in this thread: Yes' Tormato - which one is the best version on CD?

ceddy10165 and ledsox like this.
  11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Here's the 11-11-1972 concert, in almost full

You'll get an idea about band's performance. They were absolutely stunning! :righton:
    Can't wait to have those shows !!!! :pineapple:

ledsox likes this.
  12. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Even more excited now after reading Brian Kehew's notes. He processed the bass track through an old bass amp? Brian sounds like my kind of guy.

Quincy, Endymion, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Nice technical notes upthread. The LP version of the compellation is a must buy for me, too. In fact, I just pre-ordered it from Amazon.

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Looks like they went to great lengths to get the best presentation possible. It is rare to have these kinds of details. :thumbsup:

15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

My bank manager definitely likes the sound of the "Highlights" package, and has outvoted me on which I'm going to buy (when UK sales start):)

Matthew Tate and qtrules like this.
  16. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I know Jeffrey Norman used the same trick for Jerry Garcia's guitar on a very challenging multitrack recording of a Grateful Dead run of shows from October, 1974. He got an old rig of Garcia's out of storage and re-recorded his guitar part through it, making it sound much better.

I love Yessongs even with all its problems. To get these shows now is a bonanza.

17. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

when i read the "Producer’s Technical Notes" i'm a little bit afraid by all the manipulations they brought. Will we still hear the original sound of yes or some sort of personnal technician's production ?

SecondHandNews likes this.
  18. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Very exciting news indeed. We will be finally able to listen to the authentic untampered performances in improved sound quality. Frankly speaking I have always found Yessongs a somewhat lacklustre affair, marred by mixing, editing and sequencing.

Now the question is whether the seven shows from the two weeks span do offer enough performance variety to justify its place on the shelf. Or alternatively, whether the individual performances assembled on the highlights sampler offer the best representation of the whole run, unlike some of questionable choices made on the original live album.

I am still undecided which option to pick. I am going to wait for detailed reviews as soon as the release is out. The full editions of Grateful Dead's, Allman Brother Band's or Humble Pie's classic Fillmore sets turned out to be a true revelation, even though the original releases were no slouches to begin with. Yessongs leaves much more space for potential improvement, even if we are to lose the Bruford-lineup tour material.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the resounding success of this upcoming set and I am already looking forward to the continuation of the Yes vault's trawl, where my most anticipated sets would cover Fragile '71-72 tours, Relayer '74-76 tours, GftO/Tormato '77-79 tours and, last but not least, the Peter Banks' era known for extended psychedelic improvisations (1968 - Apr 1970).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    j.barleycorn and qtrules like this.
  19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Really hope these historic concerts will make it official soon:

New Haven 1971. Wembley Arena 1978. Roosevelt Stadium 1976. Boston Garden 1974. These are all familiar Yes concert recordings taken from the soundboard or radio broadcasts, and in many cases with audio quality equaling or besting Yessongs. Still, insatiable Yes fans wanted mor
    e.
    Read more at http://yesworld.com/2015/03/yes-progeny-live-from-seventy-two/#fMjXR3hYuKd3TL5s.99

coolsound, qtrules and jay.dee like this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I hope they have at least mastered the LP from hi-res files...wish he'd talked a bit about the vinyl end of things...

21. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Sucks that no Bruford shows are included...I'll likely still get it though.

22. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I'll be in for the 2 disc compilation. As previously stated...Yes didn't improvise or change up their arrangements enough...for me to want several basically identical shows.

I'd love to get 2 individual shows though...if one was with Alan White and the other with Bill Bruford.

John Fell likes this.
  23. Logan S

Logan S Forum Resident

This (the 2cd) is a must buy for me but...I kind of wish that the sampler disc for this was a reissue of the original Yessongs tracks subjected to the audio restoration that these shows are getting. I mean almost all of those tracks are gonna be in the box anyway, and by including the Bruford tracks from Yessongs, they'd give the sampler unique stuff that'd force the diehards to buy both it and the box.

24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Now that they figured out the Dolby problem, I wonder if a remastering of YesSongs is in the future?

25. whiskeyvengeance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.