Google now lets you upload 50,000 songs to the cloud for free

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smiths22, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

See post #42. It looks like the matching thing is a long, manual process. How can you tell the service is matching to begin with?

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

If the album uploads really fast, it's matching. You kinda have to watch. Also, the "Fix Incorrect Match" option will become available. Also, (and this may not be possible for people who don't have All Access) you can just check to see if Google has the album. If it does, it'll match.
    Then, the opposite, a good way to tell if it's not matching is if the artwork it chooses is completely wrong.

3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Yeah I can live without this as well. It does piss me off that google asks for a cc number for a free service. Screw 'em.

4. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

This is great news. I was already maxed out at 20,000 since they offered it a couple years back.

No credit card is required to upload 50,000 songs. I'm not sure where people are getting that from. Maybe they're confusing All Access 30 day trial for the free account?

5. rockclassics

I'll admit that I might be doing something wrong that causes it to consistently give me the screen requesting a cc number. If anyone can provide step by step instructions for setting up without a cc number please post here or PM me.

6. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I just created a new account to be sure it doesn't require a CC (which it doesn't), and to upload music for free you go to https://play.google.com/music/listen#/now
    and there's two options to click to start the process, here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

After clicking Add your music it'll prompt you to download the music manager or, if you're using chrome, install the google music app which allows you to pick or drag n drop folders to upload.

nbakid2000 and rockclassics like this.
  7. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I believe you are correct. It requires unchecking the free trial box when you begin.

OK, I just started a mass upload on Friday and it's been going ever since. I haven't checked individual files to see if they've matched or not. I guess it will take some tinkering once everything is up.

Do you know if Ogg Vorbis files will also be converted to 320k MP3s? I have a bunch of those.

8. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

You mean the Library of Congress?

9. OldSoul

Pretty sure everything is converted to 320k MP3s.

BuckNaked likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd rather just load my phone with music when I need it on the go...no matter what one believes I do not trust this...free. uh huh...

11. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I've never seen so many people complain about something that's free. Been using this for two years no problem. It's FREE and it let's you access all your songs anywhere. 320kbps in the car? Oh no!!! I actually just switched to Muzecast which let's me stream from my computer, listen to FLAC, supports replay gain, and can even listen to playlists you create on your home computer. But the app is 3.99, maybe a problem for some of you.....

hvbias, fsfang2, dlm1129 and 3 others like this.
  12. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Wow. Sounds like a lot of headache for "free". CC #'s, concerns about privacy, matching my older CD's to remasters or whatever they "match".....no thank you, I'll stick with my CD's.

13. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Only if you're technologically challenged.

14. nbakid2000

Again, the only music forum where listening to music is actually discouraged and cursed.

15. rockclassics

Nope sorry. Doesn't work. Thanks for playing.

Seriously - when I followed the link you provided, it asks me to login to Google. After that, it takes me to the same series of pages I described above concluding with the Google Wallet / cc number page.

The page you posted above never shows up.

One other note -
    I typically use Firefox, but just to double check I also tried it with Google Chrome.....same result.

Drifter and Peter Pyle like this.
  16. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Sometimes new technology isn't better than old technology. And from where I'm sitting there seems to be multiple issues with all this.

Basically, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mate.

17. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Bono knows :wtf:

dam yeah my bad.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yep same here, oh well, life goes on...

19. nbakid2000

This worked perfectly for me using Firefox.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This makes no sense.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's what I think is happening, now that you mention it. I think Rockclassics, especially, has this issue.

AS I have stated earlier, I did NOT get any prompts for a CC# whatsoever. I did NOT sign up for any All Access or free music.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  22. OldSoul

Because yours is loading slowly, probably. But trust me, it does. For example, I uploaded the Forrest Gump soundtrack on Saturday and Google chose some generic movies hit album cover with popcorn and a film reel, or something like that, as the art instead of the actual album artwork because it didn't match the files to an album in its database. If it still doesn't make sense to you, you'll see what I mean soon.

23. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I don't have a complaint of the service; it's just unnecessary for anyone with more than rudimentary computer skills. You can create your own cloud for much less time then it takes to sync and upload your 50,000 tracks with much more control over bit rates etc. And all for the cost of a smartphone app that usually costs less than $10 (the server software is free). But for those without the skills, I suppose it's a decent service.

005 and Grant like this.
  24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'm just not trusting. Nothing's really free and this will likely have a gotcha at some point. I'm hanging on to my CD Walkman just in case. :D

Peter Pyle likes this.
  25. attym

attym Forum Resident

I entered my CC... Am I Die?

Why is it still saying 20,000 songs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.