Ridley's Scott's Exodus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by benjaminhuf, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Why would anyone in their right mind even attempt a scientific explanation for this sort of material? It's going to pee off the scientific community and the scientifically minded for buying into religious dogma and it's also going to pee off the religiously minded for interfering with their beliefs.

mikeyt likes this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's like he's decided the "director's cut" is his trademark, since he basically invented the notion, and deliberately makes the theatrical versions too short.

3. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Do you really think anyone's going to care? It's not like it's "The Last Temptation of Christ".

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

People have been attemting to "explain" this story for over two millenia. There are reasons for this. My favorite suppositions are Velikovsky's. This screenplay had lots of ridiculous things that stuck out as anachronisms or downright inventions that it's not even funny. It's just entertainment.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, the screenplay had lots of 'inventions', as opposed to what?

6. Lonson

For the sake of the forum's boundary rules, let's not go there. (I'm not disagreeing just this veers into areas best left unexplored here).

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess you're right...

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

isn't this already out of the theaters?

9. Lonson

And into the bargain theaters! :)

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

which did worse at the box office: exodus or noah?

11. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Exodus is still going, but seems it's pretty far behind Noah and won't be in theaters long enough to catch up. Noah had a budget of $125M and brought in around $360 mil worldwide, Exodus cost $140 can currently sits at $240 mil.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=robinnoah.htm

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

I am truly amazed that either one of them made that much money.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't get it either. Just tell the damn story, let it stand or fall on its own merits as a story. The scientists and clerics can do what they like with it.

14. pcfchung

pcfchung Forum Resident

benjaminhuf likes this.
  15. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

:shrug:

Noah was a substantial international hit. It even did pretty well in North America (around $100 million), in a slow year, for a skeptical film on a religious subject with all kinds of audacious deviations from scripture and a pretty radical environmental message, and an overall fairly experimental storytelling approach.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I fully expected Moses to say "Yo, Rams.." at some point in the movie. Deviations aside, they went from the classical to near brooklyn. Terrible movie. Same as Noah. Some attempt to explain away the unexplainable. Just present the material as its written. Christians would have came and paid good money to see it. Hollywood spears itself in the foot with a staff once again.

17. pcfchung

pcfchung Forum Resident

The numbers look pretty bad on Exodus:

Domestic: $65,014,513 24.3%
    + Foreign: $202,267,423 75.7%
    :cry:

benjaminhuf likes this.
  18. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident Thread Starter

The overall gross of $267m make it a moderate hit worldwide, but given the production costs of c. $140m we can guess this one will be in the red for a long, long time.

Oliver Stone's Alexander was even worse off, grossing 167m worldwide on a production budget of c. 155m. And yet they still managed to do a director's cut on that one!

Here's hoping Fox finds the few million it would cost to put out the DeMille-length version of this epic.

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I'll probably rent it. But seriously, I can read Exodus in the Bible for free at home now.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I haven't read this thread, but I'm halfway through this movie and loving it. John Turturano is wonderful as the King. Christian Bale is the new Monty Cliff, the intense well-educated mumbler who exudes absolute earnestness. I like his style.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't like either of the movies
    But, I was expecting more of Exodus.
    Noah' is the better film though..acting way more convincing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.