The Beatles "I Will" guitar tuning

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am trying to play on guitar The Beatles song "I Will" from the White album. I know the song is in the key of F mayor, but i want to know how Paul McCartney make the recording of the guitar on the album. He plays the song in the standart tuning in the F mayor position? or he drop down the guitar a whole step and play it in the G mayor position? Any Beatles freak who knows the answer at this question? I try to find the information on the forum but i didn't find anything.

2. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I've seen it transcribed in standard tuning in Guitar World. It's kinda difficult to transistion between all the different chords but sounds accurate.

Search youtube for "privettricker I Will". I think he plays it tuned down in the G position. No clue how mccartney played it on the record though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    beatleswho likes this.
  3. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Never paid any attention to the guitar on this before, but a quick listen suggests to me that it's standard tuning. Also, the F-based chords are basic ones, and easy to play in standard tuning, so why bother to tune down a step and play it in G?

4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Sounds like standard tuning played in F.

GMDuss likes this.
  5. beatleswho

Some people assure that the guitar is a whole step down and playing in the G mayor position because it sounds more natural and open. I did the exercise and it's true, sounds more open and free. But what Paul did it is what i want to know. I know when he play it in live concerts he did it in the standart tuning but that doesn't mean anything.

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Capo 1st fret, play as if in E. This way you get a clean, root-position C chord shape near the end.

7. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

There's a video of mccartney playing it live and it looks like he is playing a regular G chord with open strings. Can't tell if he is tuned down or is in standard.

beatleswho likes this.
  8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Cars used it on "My Best Friend's Girl" as well.

Keith V likes this.
  9. beatleswho

Please share that video!

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Used what?

fallbreaks likes this.
  11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The chord progression.

12. thrivingonariff

Huh?

13. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

14. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Edit: my bad, doesn't look he is playing a G chord. Looks like he is playing E - C#m- F#m - B7(?). Apparently he plays the song in the key of E live nowadays, probably for his voice. But the studio version is definitely in F. You could also play it the way he does live but move every chord up one fret and put a capo on the first fret. That could be the way he did it on the White album. The second guitar part that plays the fills sounds to me like the capo is at the first fret with how the first fret on the b and e string seem to ring out.

15. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

this sounds right when i play it to album give it a try Standard tuning
    verse
    F Dm Gm7 C7
    F Dm Am
    F7 Bb C7 F
    Bb C7 F Dm Gm7 C7

chorus
    Bb Am Dm
    Gm7 C7 F F7
    Bb Am Dm
    Gm7 G7 C7

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  16. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Yep, spot on I reckon.

HAmmer likes this.
  17. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

Hard to say for certain, but I also think this is actually in E with the capo at the first fret, just like Paul plays it in the video without the capo. Like someone else says, the acoustic lead parts definitely sound like capo'd at the first fret with pulloffs to open strings.. would be more difficult to execute those licks when playing from an F barre shape. It's certainly possible to play the chords in standard tuning starting with the F chord though.

18. thrivingonariff

But the OP is talking about the strumming part, which doesn't involve pull-offs. Having said that, the strumming part could be played in E w/capo, as well. Probably is, now that you mention it, given the way he does it live. (Also, note that in the YT vids he's singing it at a half step lower than the album.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  19. beatleswho

After some research i get to the conclusion that Paul record I Will with the capo on the first fret playing in the E mayor position.

20. edised

edised Forum Resident

Maybe he played it in E and then they decided to speed the tape up to F... another possibility.

Gila likes this.
  21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I think it's tuned down a step, as "Yesterday" was, not that it's particularly difficult in standard or with the capo.

EDIT: and now that I'm watching the video above, I'm not so sure.

22. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

it's in F with no capo on the white album

you can tell by listening for which chords have open strings in them.

23. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

Forgive the pedantry, it's MAJOR not mayor.

beatleswho and craigh like this.
  24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

And how's your Chilean Spanish coming along?

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have always played it in standard tuning. Weird chords, but that is the magic of Paul's style. Very unorthodox. He said himself he was not schooled in playing at all. Remember, these songs were never meant to be played by anyone other than Paul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.