What are your picks for ANTHOLOGY VOL. 4?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Disraeli Gears, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey boys,

Do you think Apple will ever release a fourth volume of the Beatles Anthology? I love hearing unreleased stuff so I certainly hope so. If this comes to pass, what would you like to see on it? By necessity, this volume would span their entire career. My picks are:

30-min Helter Skelter (I want to get blisters on my eardrums!!)
    A Quick One While He's Away -- John, Paul and Ringo's hard rockin jam with Yoko (with Yoko vocals MUTED)
    some live tracks from '66 (what are the best?)
    Lennon's acoustic 'Because' from Bed Peace documentary
    'Look at Me' from White Album sessions
    'Child of Nature'
    'Can You take Me Back -- full version
    Revolution take 20
    tape loops and experiments

Anyone have any thoughts or picks?

JimC likes this.
  2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

"What You're Doing" take 11
    "Revolution" take 20
    Anything from With the Beatles

3. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Sour Milk Sea. I wouldnt waste most of The CD Space on Helter Skelter. And Your Bird Can Sing without The laughs

4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Anthology 4 will never happen - Anthologies 1-3 were obviously planned to encompass The Beatles entire career, so there is no way Anthology 4 will appear 19 years after the original project concluded (the 19 year gap between Live At The BBC Vol 1 and 2 nonwithstanding).

5. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

'I Lost My Little Girl' from The Let It Be sessions.
    The full 'Dig It' de-heatherized.
    'Anything'
    'Peggy Sue Got Married' from Jan. 1970
    'Carnival Of Light'
    'Dream Baby' BBC
    'A Picture of You' BBC

JimC, Mike Visco and Disraeli Gears like this.
  6. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Let's get the entire Shea Stadium on BluRay and Let It Be Expanded Deluxe.

7. Disraeli Gears

How do you know what will happen and what won't? You just disproved your own argument in your last sentence.

I know one reason it will: $$$

quicksrt likes this.
  8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

My number 1 choice would be Paul's 1968 White Album session performance of Etcetera, which was described as beautiful, and similar to Yesterday.

I agree with the choices above and also would include:

How Do You Tell Someone
    Maureen
    Annie
    Gimme Some Truth
    Goodbye
    Gone Tomorrow, Here Today
    Hold On (I'm Coming)
    The Palace Of The King Of Birds
    There You Are Eddie
    The Way You Look Tonight
    Window, Window
    One And One Is Two
    Dehra Dun
    Gopala Krishna
    Circles
    A Case Of The Blues
    Catcall
    Spiritual Regeneration
    Look At Me (Take 3)
    Revolution 20

I would also include things like take 1 of Love You To and also demos of songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Strawberry Fields Forever, And Your Bird Can Sing (take 2) and take 37 of Something, which includes a piano part that John would later recycle as Remember.

I would also include the live performances that haven't been released yet, and a finished version of Now and Then, and the rumoured Harrison/McCartney song 'All For Love'.

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The full long version of "It's All Too Much" with all of the lyrics.

Jerry Horne, JimC, GV1967 and 4 others like this.
  10. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

At this point, I would hope Apple focus on creating new product targeted to Beatles fans (i. e. releasing things like "Carnival Of Light," the Hollywood Bowl shows, the Let It Be film, and outtakes and audio excerpts that focus on a specific period of the band's history) rather than attempt to put icing on an old, stale cake in the form of an Anthology expansion. I don't think the general public is that interested in the band to buy up odds and ends, but they would sell if targeted and packaged properly by people who care about enhancing the band's legacy.

Disraeli Gears and theMess like this.
  11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Carnival of Light
    Get Raus
    Bad To Me
    Spiritual Regeneration
    Suzy Parker

...and the whole Christmas Album.

Disraeli Gears likes this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

At this point the only exciting thing I actually see getting released would be a more comprehensive--if not "complete"--expanded edition of Let it Be. I mean -correct me if I'm wrong--but isn't this the only one of their albums for which plenty of significant releasable material exists?

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

This list is a little outdated -- now just over 7 years old -- but I post the link anyway, whenever this subject comes up. Personally, I would scrap the existing Anthology CDs, compile a proper 4-CD soundtrack to the Anthology film (kind of a blown-out Red and Blue, but with the best outtakes sprinkled in), and then issue a series of "Beatles Vault" CDs. For those thinking of mentioning a hypothetical barrel, and our presumed proximity to the bottom of it, forget it -- there is PLENTY of material to draw from:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...studio-recordings.131157/page-21#post-3135130

A handful of these tracks have actually been released in some form (the iTunes download of George's "Isn't It A Pity," the DVD extra audio of "Shirley's Wild Accordion"), and some of this stuff is now Public Domain (thanks, Apple!), but still -- they haven't even scratched the surface of the interesting material languishing in the EMI vaults...

JimC likes this.
  14. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

How about each album remastered paired with a companion disc of working versions of the album tracks with 1 or 2 unreleased tracks mixed in on each companion disc? :winkgrin:

What in the world ever gave me this idea?

JimC likes this.
  15. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I don't see another Anthology, but would love to see some sort of itunes bonanza.

I think the biggest thing possible is applying up to date digital technology on the Nagra-getting rid of beeps, even if edits have to be made. Then there is abut 200 releasable songs, though you have to endure George's wah wah on most complete songs. Include Eddie, Window Window, Suzy Parker, I Lost My Little Girl, John lead singing on I've Got a Feeling, Gone Gone Gone and Black Dog Blues.

Child of Nature, Circles and Sour Milk Sea 1st generation, as well as the rest of the stuff;

The rest of Decca-time corrected, cleaned up.

More live stuff, more acetates, including anything from the Peter and Gordon vaults.

I would love to hear the Threetle 1970 studio jam of Peggy Sue Got Married, especially if it is as cool as the Abbey Road "Aint She Sweet".

The Anthology electric jams of Paul, George, Ringo, and Jeff Lynne, along with any remaining acoustic outtakes.

Now and Then, All For Love, if either exist.

16. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

How about Anthologies 1-3 done corectly instead:

• No speech
    • No frankenedits
    • All live versions on "Antholgy Live"
    With the extra room:
    • The whole Strawberry Fields Forever incarnations
    • The other things people have already noted (Revolution take 20, etc..)
    • The non laughing "And Your Bird Can Sing" (been mentioned but need to again).-
    The fact that the bootleggers got it right 10 years earlier is a shame.

Or just give us complete immersion albums - we can handle it.

JimC, wayne66, theMess and 2 others like this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

How about 2 CDs full of cherry picked best of the live recordings from: in the studio, BBC Radio and TV, Ed Sullivan Show, other US TV and Radio Shows, Japan and European TV and radio, Promo Films, Live on the Roof Top etc.

theMess and ralph7109 like this.
  18. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

What You're Doing take 11 is amazing. Folk/Rock before the Byrds!

JimC, anthontherun, jricc and 2 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I can't see another Anthology being released. But I wouldn't mind the first 3 being reissued on vinyl.

20. Disraeli Gears

Wow, yes, very nice take! Add that to my wish list. And Gimme Some Truth and Sour Milk Sea, too. Maybe original mixes of Not Guilty and What's the New Mary Jane, though I wouldn't listen to the latter (too much Yoko nonsense). I bet we'll get the complete Kinfauns sessions at some point . . . These companies will have to keep making money somehow . . .

Remember, maybe ten years ago, when there were reports of a Beatles HEAVY compilation that would pull together their hardest rocking stuff, plus the 30-min Helter Skelter and I'm not sure what else? I wonder what ever happened to that.

theMess likes this.
  21. Disraeli Gears

Do you think 'No Pakistanis' could be released or would it be too controversial/misunderstood?

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

There is no 30 minute version of Helter Skelter. The longest is 26 minutes and is very similar to the one on Anthology 3. ITunes did do a virtual album called Tomorrow Never Knows a few years ago.

theMess likes this.
  23. Disraeli Gears

No need to be pedantic. That is obviously the version I am referring to.

24. Mike Visco

Songs like No Pakistanis and Gimme Some Truth are very rough Nagra rehearsals, though both would still be a nice "Fly on the Wall" listen (from one who has).

25. Mike Visco

I seriously don't know what the harm would be a posting all of these on itunes at $.49 (US) a song, Then gauge what sells the best and feature it later on a CD or box set. A bootleg series not much different than the 1963 series. It would render the bootlegs as collectors items only. Other alternate versions of studio songs not on Anthology could be added like She's a Woman, Strawberry Fields versions and the original version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

BeatlesBop, JimC and jricc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.