Vinyl clamps/weights, anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gibson67, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

Hi all

Just got back into the glorious world of playing vinyl, and have just discovered record clamps/weights. I would like to hear fellow members opinions on them, and the benefits if any?

If they do indeed serve a purpose, then it's possibly a purchase I shall make, I may even get one made as I work nextdoor to a precision engineers, I've seen a few drawings with dimensions etc on the web, and I'm sure the guys who work nextdoor to my workplace could knock me one up in an hour or so.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I don't see how they would hurt, but not convinced they are always needed.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

My Music Hall MMF-7 came with a clamp which I never really used. Having recently made cartridge, phono interconnect and speaker upgrades I thought I'd give it go and see if I heard anything different for better or worse. In fact I did, the bass was noticeably clearer, tighter and pleasing to my ears, well worth the few seconds of effort to put the clamp on.

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I use the Groovetracer record weight when using the GT delrin platter. The music seems to tighten up especially the bass, mids and highs seem more open. However lately I've not used the weight and the music seems to have more life to it...

buzzfledderjohn likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's all about vibration. Add a weight and help dampen lower frequencies -- tighter bass. On the other hand, dampen some of those mid/upper frequencies and some of the "life" or airiness could suffer. IMO, the reason why you can take a dead simple, antique table like the AR turntable and be surprised by how good it sounds is all about how vibration is controlled. I honestly believe 60 pounds of steel and 12 inch think platters isn't always the best approach -- although it is one approach. I think you can also want things vibrating just right - like the wood of a guitar -- to create a pleasing sound. I guess this is the theory behind Rega tables. Let the parts sing in a pleasing way, don't try and trod down every stray vibration, have the table add to what's in the grooves and amplify their best qualities. I really don't think all this over engineering is needed -- as the AR or Linn tables are perfect examples of. The trick is find the right amount of control and vibration. As as far as weights go, it's probably depends on what you're looking for. I've had a few weights over the years and always went back to not using one.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  7. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Hello,
    There's hundreds of posts here on the topic as well as all over the internet; there is actually a very recent thread on the topic here in hardware

Use the search function and you'll have plenty to read for days*
    *(I see someone has already helped to get that ball rolling)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Excellent post! I agree completely.

9. I've always been a believer in following what the manufacturer suggests or provides. Thereby, if a weight or a clamp is provided....use it. Anything beyond that is a crapshoot. However, it's fun to experiment and you may find a sound you like from an approach that differs from the manufacturer's suggestions. If so......be happy and enjoy.

Heckto35 likes this.
  10. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Center holes on most pressings are slightly larger than those on the original lacquer, so you can get the record on the spindle. Some have smaller ones, so you have to push the disc home. Weights will at least minimize slippage of the disc.

11. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I only use one with records that are slightly warped.

12. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I have always used them with my VPIs, and I like them a lot. It couples that 90-200g piece of vinyl to a 22lb rotating platter, and helps create an "effortless" quality to the pace and rhythm. At least that's how I view it! Lol

It also helps flatten out warps to a surprising degree. Mine is the screw down type.

Heckto35 likes this.
  13. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Yep - Michell clamp on my Michell tt.

TT designed to be used with the clamp, platter and clamp made out of the same sort of stuff to couple with the vinyl.

14. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

I use a 1 inch long piece of 1/4" rubber gas line. Makes a great, inexpensive clamp.

15. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I used to use a Bruins hockey puck on warped vinyl. Now I have my Vinyl Flat.

Pete Norman likes this.
  16. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The only think I don't like on my Scout is that when I use the rubber washer spacer so it creates a downward force at the outer edge. It does a great job of liking small warps, but it seems like it is pressing on the outer portion of the LP. Yes, it should be the lead in, and it should only be the surface and not affect the groove, but it does kinda freak me out.

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you use a hard platter, a weight will keep the record from slipping when you start up the table, which could damage the record (or at least I think it could).

18. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I never use it, records sound better without a clamp on my table (probably because that's how it was designed)

19. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Clamps and weights are a try it and see if you like thing altogether

Results will vary for every machine and every listener

ANYONE who makes or peddles record clamps or weights and makes the claim that it will absolutely improve sound quality is full of it...........OR, if true, their design sucks so bad a weight is needed to take out the slop in their bearing assembly

I use weights to improve coupling and add mass

But I cannot tell you I can hear any difference

Charging hundred, even thousands of dollars for record clamps is usury and borderline criminal

Make your own

Now SCREW down clamps designed as part of a table for the purposes of coupling less than perfectly flat discs is valid (spindles with an inclined plane made into them)

Even then, it's as much about market demands as it is mechanics or physics

A hockey puck with a hole drilled into it will work just as well as the $500 dollar weight with the inferred magical properties

If they both weigh the same, EXACTLY the same

20. My Project came with a centre weight and I always use it. I also have a TT Weights outer ring that has yet to meet a warp that it cant flatten. I'd trade of a possible slight degeneration in sq to have my cartridge tracking flat and true.
    The outer ring can be fitted in about 2 seconds so hardly a big deal.

21. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

My Mission 775S came with a clamp and I use it all of the time. In addition, the Mission is designed to be used without a platter mat. This combination produces nice, tight bass and a clean soundstage in my experience. When I tried using a sorbothane mat it completely muddied everything up.

[​IMG]

Heckto35 and 33na3rd like this.
  22. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your views, interesting to hear your thoughts and opinions. I've got to say I'm kind of undecided now! Like I mentioned previous I may look into getting one made, I certainly won't be paying the vast amounts I've seen some going for!

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I can only speak from my own experience using two clamps on my VPI Scoutmaster. I used, for many years, the standard supplied Delrin VPI clamp to press the lp firmly against the platter. It was nice, but I never gave a second thought to whether or not that clamp or more expensive clamps made a difference in sound. About 4 months ago I read somewhere that the Stainless Steel VPI clamp was a huge improvement. It was heavier, and some claimed much better than the lighter plastic clamp. Well, for $150, it was worth a try. I conducted many A/B sessions with both clamps, as this is very easy to do. Without a doubt on every record that I played, I could EASILY hear the improvement that the Stainless Steel clamp brought to the table. Overall, a much better representation of the soundstage and all the elements within that stage. And like a lot of equipment comparisons, I noticed the difference when going back to the original clamp. Was something missing? Oh yes, indeed. Quite honestly, that upgraded VPI clamp is the best $150 I have ever spent on audio. If it were $1000, then I would say the money could be spent better on a better cartridge or arm. But for $150, it's a killer! I just wish more people would actually listen instead of providing opinions on why something should or should not make a difference.

Heckto35 and BrokenByAudio like this.
  24. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

Many years ago I must have read something that convinced me to buy one, so I bought a Monster Cable Disc Stabilizer DS-250. I've used it ever since.

25. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Just recently got the Groovetracer record weight and the reference sub-platter and the improvement is dramatic. While everything sounds better with the sub-platter and some records benefit from the weight more than others, it's an amazing combo. (The delrin platter was back-ordered, so I'll be able to A-B that in a few days.)

Heckto35 and timztunz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.