The Great USB cable debate poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mindblanking, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The only audible difference that can be proved is where the power function of USB is separated or isolated. Other than electrical interference different priced cables can't make a difference in terms of data transmission. Dac is responsible for error correction / assembling the data accurately.

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

There can of course be large errors that are easily audible, e.g. drop outs. Other than that, very unlikely, if so, someone would have proven the difference long, long ago.

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

I've never seen so much emotion and commitment tied to a retail purchase. Bravo mystical cable ad guys an corrupt audio mags everywhere. Job well done. Hopefully in 10 years they'll still have a job and this industry will be doing better or at least still be around in spite of their ridiculousness.

Rolltide and jimbutsu like this.
  4. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

I'm an artist as well... Hmm wonder if we're onto something :p

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  5. russk

russk Forum Resident

It must be your impressive imaginations. :laugh:

Rolltide likes this.
  6. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Just because a $3 USB cable is all you think is needed, that doesn't mean it is an absolute....it is only an absolute for YOU.

Belief and fact can be two very different things, and it can work both ways.

So stop suggesting that others are imagining things, as it may just be you :p

TommyTunes likes this.
  7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

So we can all agree that subjectivist or objectivist, we generally lack the specific technical understanding to even grasp the situation, and even when presented with isightful information, we retreat to entrenched emotional positions and continue the debate for the simple, sad, entertainment value.

gregr, nahoo, DaveC113 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ortofun

Just like a dozen different subjects in this hobby.....and yeah, it does get old, i agree.

9. missan

missan Forum Resident

That is not really suggested, as this is not how it works. The differences people hear are real, they are not imagined. You have to compare with the McGurk effect, it´s in principle the same thing. You have no way to be immune to the effect if you can see what you listen to. In the McGurk effect it´s about speech, but as I see it it´s really broadly applicable.

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

How come, by the way? What are you looking for at that price that you can't find at 1/10 of it?

missan likes this.
  11. missan

missan Forum Resident

I don´t think that is really the core matter. It´s more the strength to withstand ads, tits the economical interest.

russk likes this.
  12. mindblanking

Just occurred to me... Some of us get attacked as shills for companies selling upgraded cables. Maybe the opposite is true. Maybe some of the guys on here work for Radio Shack and are just doing all they can to save their failing business. Just a thought.

Gary likes this.
  13. russk

russk Forum Resident

This hobby has always been riddled with cult like factions. From almost insane levels of brand loyalty to the tweakers and cable crowd. I mean what else can you call such devout belief in the face of science and evidence and the passionate hate of appropriate double blind testing that would disporve a clung to opinion.

As was talked about in another thread, its this behavior, that's supported by the industry itself, that is killing high end audio. That makes it a joke, a thing that has to be defended by columnists in publications outside of the audio community.

That being said, to each his own. You enjoy your thousands in cables and I'll buy more music.

Daz and CARPEYOLO like this.
  14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Thousands in cables? I'll look around and see. I must have forgotten buying them.

I do not that the spurious check-sum dismissal is largely put to bed.

15. missan

missan Forum Resident

As I have said previously, I only use freeby cables, and I have never experienced any problems whatsoever with these, over and over and over they deliever exactly the right amount of bytes.

16. Ortofun

I don't care about your McGurk effect.

Take the time and read his post again, if you want to know what I was addressing.

And anyway, you think we are all robots and that McGurk effect applies equally to each individual? geez... give me a brake! Better still learn more on the brain and how it works, not just the things you want to support ya' beliefs with.

Cheers ;)

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

Sorry didn't mean to tag you with the thousands in cables.

18. mindblanking

Oh and has anyone given any thought to the vast number of seemingly reputable companies making these USB cables?Are we to assume there's a world wide plot to deceive listeners by selling a sham product? Should Congress get involved? Interpol? The World court? According to this poll nearly 30% of forum members either have been or are prepared to be swindled by companies like Audioquest. That is a crime of epic proportions involving millions of dollars in fraudulent sales. If it was a stock market swindle people would already be in jail. How large might this grand conspiracy be? Are we talking Opus Dei type stuff? We need answers damn it!

19. Ortofun

Yup, and if you want to recognise it (but you may not like to), you are part of one of the many cults.

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

That’s cool. My schtick is generally synergistic mid-fi and trickle-down technology.

russk likes this.
  21. russk

russk Forum Resident

Curious. Anyone with a 200.00 plus USB cable ever get blown away with the sound improvement vs the cable that came with their DAC? Had such an improvement that anyone can clearly hear it and just say wow?

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I bought them cheap, at a quarter of the cost. Fisuals interconnects work just as well too. But I've tried plenty and was happy to put my mind at rest. Hell, I've paid for them so I might as well use 'em...!

23. Ortofun

*shrugs* some folk think our Governments are being controlled by hybrid lizard people, so conspiracy in audio is not such a long shot ;)

Hmm...

24. missan

missan Forum Resident

I think You are a nice guy Ortofun, but this post is not that informative. And it´s not my McGurk effect, it´s a well known phenomena I have no part in.

25. mindblanking

No. Not blown away. As I said, it's a subtle difference but an improvement. If someone had $200 to spend on an improvement, upgrading the USB cable would not be my first choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.