Let's talk turntable mats

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dnuggett, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Right now I have just felt mats. I went to order one of Jake's deerskin off Amazon, but USPS got in the way and determined I didn't really want what I ordered. I think I can do better than the felt mats and I am interested in what you all are using and why you chose it.

One mat would be for a restored Thorens TD166, the other for a Marantz TT15 (acrylic).

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I have a Herbie's mat on my Rega RP6.

I ended my relationship with the felt mat...way too clingy.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Blue note dual layer cork. One for standard records that lifts off for 180 gram records. No static. Works well but not cheap. Also using a RP6.

Bob_in_OKC and Long Live Analog like this.
  4. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

A23 mats when using the glass platter, no mat on the delrin or acrylic. Had the Marantz TT15 at the store I work at, no mats used with it. I've heard good things about the Merrill GEM Dandy cork mat when used with Thorens. Never had any scratches or groove penetration on the vinyl when no mat was used on the acrylic and we flip on the fly.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

All I can say is mat choice will impact the sound. Better? Worse? Just different? That depends on the mat, your system and your ears.

6. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident Thread Starter

That much about mats, I know. :)

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I just replaced my 1210's stock Technics mat with Funk Firm's Achromat. Very pleased with the results: cleaner bass, lower surface noise, less static :)

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

why do you remove it for 180 gm records?

9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I second the Herbie's Way Excellent Mat. Affordable, excellent for sonics and no static or cling issues at all for me.

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Stock OEM rubber.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

To maintain the VTA as I did the alignment with both mats on. Although I don't know how much difference it actually makes. Haven't tried 180gram records with both mats on and vice versa.

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I don't use one now, but when I did the one that had the most balanced effect was the Origin Live mat.

John K.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

Still use my felt mat with my RP6. Any opinions out there on suede or leather like the Hide in the Sound or Moo Mats?

14. avanti1960

That's what I wondered. Rest assured that you can leave your mat on.
    A 180gm record is only 0.73mm thicker than a standard issue vinyl.
    A 0.73mm rise over a 10" tonearm = 0.16 degrees. Less than a quarter of a degree difference.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. avanti1960

I wish there were some way to compare them before you buy, like some specs. that would tell you how they perform.
    So what is a mat supposed to do?

*Not let the record slip (Check).
    *Protect the vinyl from the platter/ not cause any damage (Check).
    *Support the record (Check. Especially with a smaller diameter mat that keeps away from the tapered lead-in).
    *Have anti-static qualities (I doubt they reduce static but some materials do seem to attract less static than others).
    *Reduce vibration without dulling the sound (this one is puzzling to me. do I really want this? how does it interact with my table's anti-vibration system or my mounting? shouldn't this be the function of the turntable plinth and mounting / isolation system?)

Without being able to quantify the capabilities of mats I basically bought a reputable one that appears to have good quality. It sounds good (I guess) but it's hard to tell what contribution it is making and it sounds no different than the stock mat, which I replaced because it was sticky.
    I refuse to start swapping mats trying to improve the sound without some kind of ability to quantify their contribution one vs. the other.
    I have many other variables that are available to modify the sound in more predictable ways.

16. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Yeah that thought had crossed my mind. But then I think...well, why do they even make them if it makes no difference at all??

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

On a previous table, I had a Boston Audio Mat made out of carbon. Huge improvement over the rubber mat.

Now I have an RP6 with the stock platter and felt mat. I wish I knew what different mats would sound like with this combination.

18. Ain'tNoRight

Ain'tNoRight New Member

I think about changing out the felt mat on my RP6 from time to time, then I start thinking about mat thickness and what adjustments if any I'd need to make depending on which mat I choose...and I go back to not thinking about it again.

Long Live Analog, russk and craigh like this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

[​IMG]

I use a Roksan mat that cost me around $90. It has cut outs in the center that allow the mat to drop into the recessed area of my table platter so that the mat is in contact with the groove portion of the record. I'm not sure it adds much to my table, as the platter material is already quite "dead", but It looks cool and I am lazy at times and am not as careful as I should be when placing a record on a hard platter. I read an earlier post talking about flipping records "on the fly" on an acrylic platter. That sounds pretty risky and might be leaving micro scratches (though probably inaudible).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  20. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

I currently have a sorbothane mat on the Music Hall. Seems to work pretty well in addition keeping the air around the TT clean by sucking in every piece of dust nearby :uhhuh:
    Actually it's not that bad, I do clean it every couple of months. It is a real bear to get off of the glass platter though.

21. I am not using a mat at present with my Funk Firm Acroplat set up. I have previously used a Herbies Way Excellent mat with great results and I think that may be a great one for you to try.
    However, as stated earlier by curbach:

"All I can say is mat choice will impact the sound. Better? Worse? Just different? That depends on the mat, your system and your ears."

He hit the nail square on the head with this comment---you may have to experiment a little to find the best one for your specific needs and preference.

22. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

Millions of words have been written about the effects of a multitude of mats, made from a bewildering variety of materials. I've had disparate results based on differing platter/mat combinations, and only experimentation will tell you what works best - for you. However, here's some things that worked for me:

On a Linn-type metal platter/subplatter arrangement, the basic felt, or this upgraded model ( http://www.originlive.com/turntable-mat-platter-mats/upgrade-platter-mat.html ) gave me the best results. Using a Funk Achromat (http://www.thefunkfirm.co.uk/turntables/page21/page21.html) initially seemed to provide positive results, but after a while you realise that it screws up the musical presentation somewhat. However, the Funk mat works well (for me) on acrylic/Delrin platters.

I now use a D/D turntable, and have used a ceramic platter (which works well), and this: http://www.trans-fi.com/resomat.htm

My favourite 'mat' for current use is a bit of a cheat though, as it's a vacuum platter: http://www.soundscapehifi.com/used-at-stabilizer-001.htm
    Rare as rocking horse poo, but worth tracking down if you can. On my heavyweight platter, it provides me with the greatest improvement over any other mat tried. I've now stopped looking.

23. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have an Goldmund mat/record clamp, vinly is dead-quiet in the groove between tracks.

24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

No mat on my Scout or Perspex, but I did use the Music Hall cork mat on my RP3. Hated the felt. The glass might have been OK with a weight, but too slippery, couldn't even run a brush lightly without it slipping.

25. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Curious about cork? Make your own. An 1/8" thick sheet of cork at JoAnn Fabrics is $3-something. Trace around your current mat with a sharp-tipped pen and cut with a pointy X-Acto knife, even the spindle hole. Sand edges with light sandpaper. Worth a try.

BuddhaBob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.