Live Phish on Vinyl - 12/31/95

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yankee8156, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member Thread Starter

Last week Phish teased what seems to be an upcoming vinyl release of a show. Could be an RSD release. I think it would be too early for them to tease a release at a summer show.

[​IMG]

Last summer they were taking informal surveys at Randall's Island to gauge people's interest on vinyl live releases. I've read some speculation that this will be 12/31/95 (font and color are similar to the CD release). Would be a nice place to start.

2. attym

attym Forum Resident

And You Enjoy Myself could fall to side K for 12/31/95.

ggergm likes this.
  3. mudtheotter

mudtheotter New Member

Yankee8156 likes this.
  4. Yankee8156

5. mudtheotter

mudtheotter New Member

Still my #1 attended Phish show.
    Stoked to see this as their first full LP release.

6. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I just hope that it's not a super limited release. Will be interesting if this is from tape or not too. Anyone have any ideas on that?

7. attym

attym Forum Resident

At this point, they were running a DAT mixed down live to 2ch. And multitrack ADAT which is what they mixed down from for the CD release. I don't know what resolution they record on ADATs. But no tape.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    fluffskul and KOWHeigel like this.
  8. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Phish concerts on vinyl? That's even sillier than Dead concerts on vinyl.

fluffskul and Complier like this.
  9. Bobbeyo

Bobbeyo Active Member

I'd much rather be seeing the vinyl release of Rift.

10. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I wouldn't want a ton of them, and I'm a huge Phish fan, however a few choice shows in a nice boxed set type packaging with some nice photos or a booklet would be cool.

And I definitely cannot wait for Rift. My favorite Phish studio album and how I "discovered" them.

11. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

This is good news, I am guessing this won't be cheap

12. Yankee8156

IIRC, when they were taking that survey, they were asking people if they would be willing to pay $250 for a live release "done right." I'm thinking it would have to come in somewhere around $150.

13. Yankee8156

Yeah - I hope this isn't the only vinyl release they have in store for this year. Rift would be the album I'm looking forward to most.

fluffskul likes this.
  14. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I would be in for around $150 if done right, but $250 would be pushing it without something really special included.

I actually think a live vinyl sampler type release would be cool. Kind of like what Umphree's does each year.

15. $150 will be $50+ more in Canada...the kids' shoes can last another year I suppose?

16. Bobbeyo

Bobbeyo Active Member

Yes. I've been dying for rift. Not only my favorite phish album but that cover art is in need of some deluxe packaging. I love what they did with junta.

phish likes this.
  17. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Seems cool, but as with others (and as a Phish neophyte) I'd rather see more studio albums. Something about a jam bands complete concert recordings, I think really work better on CD. Not having to flip during a jam, no "part one" and "part two" on different sides for what was an unbroken track, and no having to leave most of a side unused because you want to avoid breaking up tracks but want to keep the set list order in tact. At least, that's how the Dick's Picks for Grateful Dead went on vinyl.

18. JAG

$156.98 Suggested List -- 4,500 copies pressed

I could be wrong but I don't see this being in demand, 160 bucks for something that is already released. I will get it but I think I am the minority

19. Yankee8156

20. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Kevin Shapiro indicated to me on Twitter that they were recording at 24/48 on the ADAT multis in the 90s.

I'm interested to hear the flat transfer. Elliott Schenier's mix is great, but the CD master is way loud, most tracks clipped, and DR8.

21. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I hate waiting in line for record store day ... but this will probably get me to do it.

22. attym

attym Forum Resident

When I asked Kevin how Raleigh 12/16/99 was recorded and mixed, his response was:

"depends on the show and era. raleigh '99 was recorded to DTRS DA88 (16/48 native) but mixed/mastered at 24/48, hence the hi-res output."
    -Kevin Shapiro

23. JAG

7500 copies at $160 for a show already readily available so you can get up and change the record after 2 songs?.....I am sure you won't have to wait in line to obtain this

Bobbeyo likes this.
  24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

ADATs used tape. Video tape, actually.

25. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

ahhh .. I didn't see 7500 copies. That is good news ... you are right no need to wait in line for this then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.