should I get a pro ject debut carbon?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ted s, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

I have a Debut Carbon (the 2014 Dinosaur Jr. Limited version) and have not noticed any hum... I'm using the Speedbox and a McIntosh MX112 preamp.

2. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

This is interesting: on my old Debut III, I put back and tightened the trasport screws and the hum was drastically reduced and the same happened with my Xpression. So both tables benefit from having an unsuspended motor. It seems like the Debut Carbon works in a different way.

3. Austin Lee

Austin Lee Forum Resident

I agree with everyone that the motor rumble on the Pro-ject Debut III can be quite annoying. It was really bad on mine, and I tried various levels of screws tight, semi-tight, on, off, etc. What solved it for me was placing a small amount of rubber (piece of old cut-up belt approx. cm square) under the rubber band that suspends the motor.

Note that I'm using the SpeedBox, so my belt is on the larger 45rpm pulley. This caused the motor to lean towards the platter. I eventually noticed that the motor was leaning against the plinth on the platter side and causing the rumble. A few small pieces of rubber between the rubber motor suspension band on the side closest to the platter leveled out the motor and reduced the rumble to inaudible levels on my Pro-ject Debut III - no screws installed. The motor now floats freely without touching the plinth.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  4. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

I would buy this table in a heartbeat if it were not for this hum issue. I know there are work arounds, but there shouldn't have to be.

I'm hoping the new DC motor with built-in speed box Esprit solves this issue.

5. Austin Lee

Austin Lee Forum Resident

It's a great turntable. I've had mine for almost 10 years. I got the Debut III when it first came out. I can't speak to the Carbon or Carbon DC, but I imagine Pro-ject has addressed the motor rumble issue by now. The fix that I spoke about for my Debut III takes all of 5 minutes tops, so don't let it hold you back from buying this turntable. There are few options that perform at this level at this price point.

BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

How about a Denon DP-300F? I love mine. No issues....no wobble, no hum, just great sound. Also has a detachable head shell.
    Fully automatic.
    All for under $350.

7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Mine is extremely quiet with the screws removed. I've never had to consider any of these solutions for it.

8. okeeffe6

okeeffe6 New Member

Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC motor, acrylic platter) owner here.

Never anyotor hum or rumbling detected.

Slight hum without ground; with ground, zero hum.

BlackStrat_Fan and Colin M like this.
  9. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

The Debut Carbon DC uses an AC motor, likely the exact same one as the regular Debut Carbon. The DC power supply is for the built-in speed stability control (a speed box w/o option to change speeds) which also acts an AC generator for the motor.

I have no idea if this helps with the hum problem or not but if I was forced to guess, I would say no. I have no doubt that the hum is a major problem for many but it is not for all. I think it's just luck of the draw whether or not you get a relatively smooth running motor.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I've decided that for now I'm not going to worry about the hum. Unlike a lot of the complaints, mine doesn't seem to arise from the screws or the cables but from underneath the plinth. I can't hear it out of the speakers unless I turn up the volume obscenely loud, far beyond what I would ever listen at, and even then it's overpowered by signal hiss.

But this may change when I upgrade my pre amp in the near future.

11. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I've had a non-Speed Box Carbon Esprit for a while (a year and a half ?). While I don't suffer from the motor rumble problem a lot of folks have encountered, I have a strange ringing, hum-like sound that I've been unable to get rid of.

The problem is described in all its horrific detail here : http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/random-bursts-of-high-pitched-hum.372592/page-2#post-11936123

There's also a movie version here :

I have to add that the Pro-ject people have been wholly unhelpful. I've even been in contact with the founder, Heinz Lichtenegger, about my issue, and I can safely say that he does not give a damn. He won't even consider honouring his product's warranty.

I'd like the table fine if not for this, but it's a gamble.

I would try a Speed Box to see if that solves the problem, but the only model that works on my European turntable is the Speedbox II, nearly as expensive as the TT itself.

12. Vinyl Addict

After reading this, I will never buy a Pro-ject TT. That is just ridiculous.

13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The worst thing is : I got in touch with Pro-ject because I wanted their help in troubleshooting my problem. I hadn't even mentionned returning it at first. At no point did he or his French distributor even attempt to help me out.

14. Vinyl Addict

I would start a thread to let the world know. Others deserve to know that Pro-ject does not stand behind their product or warranty.

15. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

I have a Project Debut Carbon Esprit DC and I love it. Zero issues whatsoever. Plays like a charm.

Sorry to hear about warranty issues, doesn't affect me since we have strict laws about this in Sweden. If there's ever an issue getting mine replaced won't be a problem.

16. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

I had a pro ject debut III that was given to me as a partial trade. Horrible hum. Could not get rid of it. Got the original owner to take it back. Bought a Rega, couldn't be happier.

17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I have a Pro-Ject Debut III with the older AC motor. I reduced the hum significantly by adding the Speed Box S, and then even further by loosening and then tightening the four screws that hold the rubber O-ring in suspension. I think maybe my motor wasn't level before, even though my plinth was. Or who the hell knows.

18. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

Got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon in Jan. 2014 that had the hum, and it was loud enough to hear between tracks at normal levels. Happened whenever the needle touched the record, and was not a ground loop. I was able to get a full refund from Amazon because I consider that a major defect.

It did sound great aside from the hum, so I took the refund and upgraded. If it weren't for that hum, I would've kept it for sure. I knew from researching it that a replacement might have the same issue and didn't want to deal with that twice.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Honestly, this table changed my life. I think it sounds amazing and I don't think there is better be to be had at this price. The Rega rp-1 is in the conversation but with the performance pack it is over $600 and it isn't really better, just as good.

I just switched to a VPI Classic this past week and there are many ways it is better than the Pro-ject but that certainly doesn't make the Pro-ject bad.

I will say that if you have a very powerful system (big floor standers that are driven by separate amps) the Pro-ject has a higher noise floor that is exposed at higher levels of volume. The standard cast iron platter is VERY resonate, also a problem at high volumes. The Acrylic platter is a good upgrade for this reason.

The plinth is not very substantial, if you don't have the table properly isolated a heavy foot will make it skip.

I never had a buzz or hum that I would attribute to anything other than pushing it beyond its limits. The build quality is a little shaky, my tone arm cue lever broke after about a year. At $400 retail you're not going to get a hand crafted work of art.

if you can go up to a $1,500 price point, you have many better options. Less than that and the Debut Carbon is the undisputed champion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.