New Order vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Inertiatic-Wrist, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

I have numerous full length and single original UK copies. I also have several Rhino lp's and have to say I enjoy the sound on them.

2. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Well, now that the Factory master tapes have been found in a basement of a former bank in the UK, good reissues may now be possible. The fall of Factory was a mess! I can't believe Tony Wilson and or/his estate would allow such important tapes to go missing!

Other than that, the original Factory albums pressed at the Townhouse Or Porky plant in the UK are the best. The FACTUS issues were good. The later Quest JD ressues were likely digitally mastered, not analog, is my guess.

3. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

In the US they can be harder to find. Shipping from UK has gotten $$ lately too. Shipping from Germany is pretty cheap though, generally, if looking on discogs/ebay/etc.

The original US pressings are fine though.

4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

This is true! I have FACTUS issues of Unknown Pleasures and PC&L, and they both sound beautiful.

5. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

I'd read it was merely a bunch of demos or live recordings, not the proper album masters.

6. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Out of interest, a ridiculously limited (100 copies!) clear vinyl pressing of "Movement" was pressed up especially to give away at a newly reopened branch of HMV in Oxford Street, London, specifically to commemorate this former flagship store being back in business.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Movement" is an interesting choice. "Get Ready" would have been much more interesting. And the titles have similar implications;)

8. mogwai rave

mogwai rave Active Member

I have all the New Order LPs on Factory vinyl. Some I bought in the 80s so e more recently. They all sound amazing.

9. mogwai rave

Yes the movement textured Factory sleeve is great.

10. mogwai rave

Probably because Republic and Grt Ready are rubbish!

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I don't think "Get Ready" is "rubbish". At all. Great late period album...

12. mogwai rave

That's fine, we all like different things. I think they became bored lazy musicians around side B of Technique. Then it was Game over for me.

13. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I do have an Italian pressing of Temptation, and it is the worst sounding vinyl ever. Just putting that out there...

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

That's good to know. But I have an Italian Base Records pressing of Ceremony that is absolutely stunning. The bass! It's something I still use as a test record. Some systems can't handle it.
    I'd buy one of those again if I could find it - rather than an original UK (first version - not the re-recording.)

And the US Qwest pressings (of New Order) sound much better than the Factus pressings - which are also good in their own way. The Factus pressings are quiet and smooth, but don't have as much detail as the UKs. I love my Factus of Closer, and the vinyl is dead quiet. My UK pressing (not the early translucent pressing) has more detail, but I love that Factus.

15. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I have Ceremony on Factory, with the gold sleeve. I think it even says Joy Division on the record instead of New Order.

16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

7" or 12"? Original or re-recording?
    Monster bass or no?

17. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

7" original good bass within the context of the bass being played up on the neck like that

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  18. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Correct. Get Ready is a fine album except Rock The Shack which is total crap.

Neonbeam likes this.
  19. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

FWIW I bought the Rhino reissue of Low-Life on vinyl, then recently found a mint Qwest US OP, so I could do a straight shoot-out. Very little difference honestly... I think Rhino did a nice job, and I assume the other reissues are similar. I think the OP of LL might've had a slightly better soundscape... Again, the difference was slight.

That said, I haven't had much trouble finding very nice US originals of the catalog in excellent condition. You just have to be patient. I have the Qwest Brotherhood, Substance, and Factus PC&L... All outstanding. It always baffled me why Rhino decided not to reissue Substance... Should've been a no-brainer. It took me years to find a copy in the wild, with the jacket in beat-up condition, but the vinyl flawless. Worked for me!

I rarely spot the 12" singles (and Substance eliminates the need for most of them), but I do have the iconic Blue Monday of course. Amazing 45 RPM sound. And I had a Canadian 1981-82 EP but I actually prefer the new RSD reissue... Near-identical sound, again, but the RSD was much quieter.

In conclusion... The Rhinos will do the job especially if you can find them at a good price, but a bit of hunting should let you assemble an all-original NO collection. And I've never felt the US presses were lacking in any way... Certainly not to the point of seeking out the UKs.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You don't like "Vanishing Point" or "Dream Attack"?!?

I will defend the unpopular Republic and state that I'd love to hear the guitars of "Regret" and "Everyone Everywhere" and the lush keyboards of "Ruined In A Day" and "Special" from a slab of 180 g slab of vinyl.

Joseph.McClure likes this.
  21. mogwai rave

Actually, they really peaked with Low Life

22. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Wow, it took four years to finally have an answer to the OP question. Thanks, I may pick a Rhino on the cheap if the ocassion arrieves.

23. egoBen

egoBen Forum Resident

I got a swedish edition of Low Life cheap and it sounds fantastic, so I'll stick with originals too. Got Movement also, not bad either, and that cover is so beautiful.

24. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Your dream has come true. Anyone else pickup the latest batch of NO vinyl reissues? I got all three.

I feel that Get Ready is mastered a little too quietly - doesn't have the punch of the digital version. I wonder if it's because of the length - I think it's 25 minutes on one side, so maybe the grooves are a bit compromised. But the double LP Sirens' Call sounds amazing, and I'm even happy with Republic, an album that I feel is their nadir in some ways.

This thread is great. I grew up with NO as a CD band. Everyone I knew had that double disc Substance and used it to show off their stereos. It sounds extremely brittle now, but I still go back to it a lot. That one really deserves a reissue.

Someone above mentioned that the original US Qwest pressings of Low-life don't have a real obi. This is not true; I have one. I don't have that much old NO on vinyl... too hard to find in good shape... but the ones I have sound amazing. I personally think Qwest treated New Order very well, and you don't have to spring for Factory originals to get good vinyl copies of those records.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Apparently 'Get Ready' never got the remaster treatment for vinyl, or a digital edition either, I personally thought it sucked, I may try Siren's next...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.