McIntosh

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by misterdecibel, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks for that, interesting!

I notice the least expensive current McIntosh speaker goes for $4k ...

No-one?

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Even the most die-hard McIntosh fans don't tend to be big fans of the speakers. I don't believe the issue is that their is anything wrong with them so much as it is that at the various price points they exist at there's better options.

Personally, my McIntosh fanboydom is centered around the amps and preamps, and a few of the digital sources. I think it's a good thing that they offer OEM'd turntables and digital servers and such, allowing people to purchase all-McIntosh systems as is the preference of a lot of their customers, but it seems to come with a pretty significant markup. Also, I love the look of a "Mac stack" with about three components in it, but meters on the amp, meters on the preamp, meters on the turntable, etc and eventually it begins to get a touch tacky. Just IMO.

62caddy, utahusker and Slick Willie like this.
  3. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I've heard they are getting much much better. I didn't even think about them, honstely, when I bought a pair of used McIntosh MC1201 monoblocks a month ago. I paired them with Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs.

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

How are you liking those Olympica IIIs? I'm getting the MC452 in a few months and my next upgrade will be my speakers. I'm interested in auditioning those particular speakers (along with Tannoy Kensingtons, B&W 802Ds, Devore Fidelity Orangutan 96)

bhazen likes this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I used to know a guy who worked for the company that built their speaker enclosures (Grand Rapids). Never cared for their speakers but their woodwork was pretty fine.

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yeah - I'm not anti-Mac by any means; but meters anywhere apart from the power amps seem rather unnecessary. It's a fetish, innit?

utahusker likes this.
  7. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It sells, apparently.

Even though a power amp is not the best place for meters. And if it were, the analog meters on Macs are marginally useful today, because the ballistics are all wrong.

8. Corey Louis

Corey Louis Active Member

The best way to ruin great mc amps is with mc speakers!

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Wow.

10. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

That's the guy. We had a 45 minute conversation before Xmas and he was very helpful. I wound up getting a McIntosh receiver from ebay at a fair price but if I had more disposble income I would have bought one from him. I plan on using him and Terry Dewick in the future if I have any problems or the unit needs refurbishing.

11. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Perfectly said.

Yes, most love of McIntosh is pretty well grounded in its electronics; speakers came much later. (Not including a "false start" in the early '50s of which 5 were sold, IIRC)

They were the first at manufacturing the best and unlike the vast majority of equipment manufacturers at the time, McIntosh equipment always met published spec.

12. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Really?

According to literature, needle mass had been taken into account when the meter circuitry was designed.

13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've never owned a McIntosh amp of any vintage where I'd consider the meters to be an actual measurement tool. I'm not suggesting they're horribly inaccurate but it seems they're mostly just there to remind customers how rarely they ever use more then two watts :)

beowulf and 62caddy like this.
  14. Eric Weinraub

I think they sound fantastic. I had wanted to buy the Magico S5s but the money just wasn't there .... We had Cremona monitors before that... While very good, the lack of bass they emit was a significant factor in the upgrade. Like most SF speakers, they gobble up power and challenge you to really crank them. the MC1201s have plenty of power to drive them.

15. Eric Weinraub

You need to stop by my house, then. I've seen the meters on my 1201s well into 100s of watts many times. :)

utahusker likes this.
  16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Heh, I was going to make a joke about coming over to steal your gear, then started thinking of it in context to all of these burglaries of high end audio dealers in San Francisco. I'll bet the local McIntosh dealer isn't worried, as McIntosh gear is far too heavy to be practical to steal.

beowulf likes this.
  17. Eric Weinraub

The 1201s are 147lbs a piece and my 2255 is another 100lbs. I read about the burlarlies. I supsect all of the merch is headed overseas.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I immediately thought the same. Russia seems most likely. My MC352 has been missing lights for years because I get sore just thinking about shlepping it to the dealer. I did recently discover their tech can pick up/deliver though!

19. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Same as with Fisher's foray into the loudspeaker market circa 1960s (not the Sanyo era crap)
    Was a business decision made as the result of a highly fueled and competitive market (at the time)
    An amendment, never was a part of their core mission

20. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

For whatever it is worth, a number of McIntosh speaker owners on other forums really seem to like them.

mrz80 likes this.
  21. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

I'd certainly count myself as one of them. Picked up a pair of XR1052s for under $400 about seven years ago and they're still my main speakers. Love 'em! And what's more is that I get to see the who, what, when and where of their development!

http://www.roger-russell.com/lsd2.htm

22. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

It is difficult to go wrong at that price.

23. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Mc is not alone in this regard. I own all Naim electronics, and their speakers generate a lot of discussion both pro and con among die-hard owners of the electronics.

And I believe that speakers are MUCH more room-dependent than electronics. It's not hard to find a well reviewed and widely loved speaker that 'just doesn't work' in someone's room.

PS I'm not a fan of the meters and ultimately the Naim black boxes had waaaaay more w.a.f. than Mc electronics. More me acceptance factor too ;)

bhazen likes this.
  24. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Last year I finally took the plunge and purchased a used MC7270 and C34V. I absolutely love them and just wish I had done this sooner. I'm enjoying my music more than ever.

The Good Guy and Rolltide like this.
  25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I like to use Foghorn Leghorn in a case like this, but please change the words "Never played baseball" to "Doesn't like McIntosh blue meters"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.