Rolling Stones At Altamont thoughts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shem the Penman, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The only pretending is thinking that the "dark image" had anything to do with what happened at Altamont.

Dave Hoos, Cousin It and dkmonroe like this.
  2. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

They did follow SFTD with that shuffly Jimmy Reed cover. I always assumed that was an improvised attempt to soothe the crowd a bit.

3. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Don't defend this clown (jagger) He doesn't deserve your effort.

At a very minimal the stones are, imho, criminally negligent for what happened.

And morally, for creating a sinister environment. For experimenting with the lives of those attending the event.

Sorry. I'm a fan but I won't make excuses.

4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

This whole conversation is creeping dangerously close to saying that the Stones deserved to have someone murdered in front of the stage.
    Replace Stones with "girl" and created a sinister environment with "dressed promiscuously".

The security was sub par and negligent. The performance and the performers were irrelevant.

5. I think the Altamont fiasco was more the responsibility of the the East Bay and the State of California than anyone else. That concert should never have been allowed to happen in a civilized society. Blaming The Rolling Stones and or The Grateful Dead is more or less like blaming The Hells Angels. These total incompetents were in charge of public safety by default because those who should have been in charge were AWOL.

6. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

some posters on this thread are taking Monday-morning quarterbacking to an incredible level... and I thought the Taylor-Wood debates were overheated.

"Who's fighting and what for?" is actually the right question, I think... why is anyone personally invested in "winning" the interpretation of this event?

ConnieGuitar and lukpac like this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Say what?

8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

9. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Yep. I did it. I made actual moral judgement. The Stones are imho legally and morally negligent for what went down.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Again: how?

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I haven't seen the movie since early '70's. Did Kantner really say that? From the stage?

12. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I think he said they were sinister. And conducting experiments on humans.

JuanTCB and dkmonroe like this.
  14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Watch this clip - start around 3:00. This is when Balin gets knocked out. 5:30 is where Garcia and Lesh find out what's been happening. Seems like the Hells Angels are the ones "experimenting" on the crowd.

lukpac likes this.
  15. wormburner

wormburner New Member

you tube clip (sorry if it was posted before) shows the bands waiting for the helicopter

Beech and lukpac like this.
  16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

What's the deal with the mirror image? Hendrix playing right handed, Keith left? Is this the way the movie plays or is that clip messed up?

17. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

How did I make a moral judgement?

Well..I have certain values that are important. Do you really not understand? Or..?

18. old school

old school Senior Member

The Stones paid the Hunter family a lousy ten grand to settle the case. If the Hells Angels were not there Meredith Hunter would still be alive.

ShawnX likes this.
  19. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Big heroes...:shake:

20. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

He's the only one that can hold his head high regarding this.

21. old school

old school Senior Member

The Hells Angels flat out told the Rolling Stones tour manager Sam Cutler they don't do security. But for $500 dollars of beer the Angels will stand around the stage period and drink beer and do what they do best smash heads. All in a days work.

DrBeatle likes this.
  22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I find all the armchair quarterbacking going on in this thread fascinating. I had no idea so many of you were involved in the planning and staging of the concert at Altamont. Or were part of the Stones inner circle. Or in Jaggers head.

23. old school

old school Senior Member

What a foolish statement it's all well documented! What would you have done? Since you think you have the answers.

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Don't have the answers, but there are so many contradicting stories about who/what/ when/where/why that I'm convinced the only people who know what happened are the Stones, and they ain't talking.
    I've read that the Dead mentioned using the Angels, the Stones had a good experience with them at Hyde Park, so they went with it. How that makes them negligent is beyond me. I'm pretty sure that the actual staging was out of their hands. They chose the speedway as a last ditch effort to get the show going. Is that the truth? I don't know. Ask Melvin Belli or Sam Cutler.
    Things were looser then, less organized and very crazy. S**t happened.
    Was it awful? Of course. But Lester Bangs said if you were a ways back from the stage, it was a great concert.
    I'm just turned off by the moralizing in this thread.

25. old school

old school Senior Member

A human being was killed don't you think that matters. Don't you think some moralizing is needed? What if that was your son that was killed? I bet you would think different.

Zeki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.