House of Cards on Netflix [Caution: Current Season Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by [email protected], Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just started watching the show over the weekend, and I'm really impressed. This is a solid, compelling, very interesting show about politics, which is normally a subject in which I have zero interest. It's clear why the show has picked up so many awards. Spacey is fascinating to watch, and he carves out a very memorable character.

2. It kind of jumps the shark at the end of Season 2. The odd love story that comes into play near the end of that season feels forced, unnecessary, and even a bit out of character. I thought it kind of wrecked what was otherwise a really good season.

905 and drasil like this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not quite finished yet, but this season feels a lot better than season 2.

drasil likes this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm midway thru episode 3 of the new season, and I feel like there's been a number of REALLY bad plot moves, and ridiculous scenes/writing so far. Am I alone with that negative viewpoint?

Also: would it make sense for a show like this that drops all its episodes at once to have multiple discussion threads, for those who want to discuss the eps here? Maybe four threads, each with 3-ish eps to discuss? Or is there not enough interest in the series to merit that?

Clark V Kauffman and JimC like this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't share your view, but how can you tell what is or is not a bad plot movie if you've only seen less than a quarter of the episodes? Surely you can only judge that in retrospect after you've seen the whole story play out.

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I'm 2/3 thru season 3 and it's excellent but a bit rushed. They need to make more episodes per season.

7. mrjinks

What I'm talking about are things like:
    • Inviting the members of ***** Riot to a state dinner with the Russian president
    • Playing beer pong in the White House
    • Having the Russian president make advances on the First Lady (including kissing her on the lips
    • Having the First Lady refer to his "little pickle" in a public toast at the state dinner
    And those are just things from this one episode! They're all ludicrous, IMO. They would NEVER happen. I've felt similarly about some of the other scenes this season - they're just coming across as sloppy and unbelievable to me...

Rufus McDufus and JimC like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, I could mention a certain speech from a foreign national who was invited behind the President's back to essentially derail an ongoing anti-nuclear negotiation. Yeah, stuff like that never happens in real life.

JimC, guy incognito and Rosskolnikov like this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

How could you possibly know what goes on in private at the White House?

10. mrjinks

I don't, and I'm not saying I'm right. I say these things bother ME and I feel they're implausible. I also don't care for:
    • The America Works program - I don't think a President would back a plan such as the one outlined in the first few episodes
    • The First Lady jumping on the Pres and having sex with him - instantly, fwiw - when he appeared to be having an emotional breakdown (episode 2, iirc). It doesn't seem as though he would have been "up" for that at the time, so to speak.
    • The aide breaking his arm in the shower and handling it the way he did
    • the First Lady calling the military "irrelevant" and then getting baited into an argument on the stand...
    • Also, how much was that bottle of Russian vodka supposed to be worth? Pretty sure a gift of that value would not be able to just be handed over at dinner...
    And so on. A couple of these things I'd shrug off as minor flaws, but when they're accumulating so rapidly, I think of the worst points of Homeland, rather than this show. YMMV. I'm encouraged that others (and critics) say the show picks up steam starting in ep 4/5, but I just found it a very weak kickoff, for a show that I'd quite admired.

I get that it's FICTION, but I prefer a sense of believability. @Deesky, your example just strikes me as politics 101. :shrug:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not sure of the intent of this comment, but the show is about politics.

12. mrjinks

I thought your comment was in response to me bringing up things I didn't think we're plausible - guess I was wrong?

To me that seems perfectly logical/believable, but the other items I listed do not...

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess you and I have very different ideas about what is perfectly logical. You say you've admired the show - did you find season 2 admirable?

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It's not a documentary.

And considering the kind of nonsense going on in Washington these days I don't have a problem with any of the story lines.

Vidiot and Deesky like this.
  15. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I just finished series three and thought it was a little lame and boring, to be honest. Obviously, it's all fiction and so forth but it just seemed to keep building towards some moment that never arrived.

It's a common symptom of all these popular TV shows - where the third and sometimes fourth series are the most unmemorable - with season five and six picking up the pace again.

Season three could have said all that needed saying in six episodes instead of twelve.

ymizike and JimC like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Finished season 3, so spoilers ahoy...

Overall, I liked the season, moreso that season 2, but it wasn't without its problems. Some bullet points.

* I think they could have taken the international Russian fake-Putin intrigue a little farther.

* The biggest narrative boat anchor from the previous season was inexplicably grafted into season 3, namely the Doug & Rachel sub-plot. In fact, this plotline totally sucked the oxygen out of the last episode, which should have exclusively focused on the campaign and the unraveling of Team Underwood.

* The unraveling of Team Underwood was a good direction to go in, but it was telegraphed rather obviously early on.

* Claire looked much better with blond streaks (and when she smiled warmly).

* Frank/Spacey really needs go on to Claire's exercise machine - he's really letting himself go...

* Heather Dunbar is a worthy adversary - you go girl!

* Kate Baldwin (Kim Dickens) really reminds me of a younger Sigourney Weaver.

JimC likes this.
  17. mrjinks

I certainly found it entertaining and didn't see as many WTF moments as I have early on in this season...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
    JimC likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I kinda think that's the whole point of the show. "What happens when terrible people rise to power in a government, and they're willing to use any means necessary to hold on to that power?" These aren't people you'd want to be friends with, but they're fascinating to watch... from a distance.

We knew Frank Underwood was a bad guy from the first minute of the first show, when he murdered a dog in the street. (And that gives away nothing... it just shows that this is a guy who won't hesitate to do what he thinks is necessary.)

The fact that the show is called House of Cards tells you that eventually, them cards are gonna be comin' down...

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Can't believe they ended Season 3 like that.

20. spewey

spewey Senior Member

It's gonna be a loooooooooooong year waiting for Season Four!

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, it kinda sucks. Even when this season started, I had trouble remembering what happened in season 2 in any great detail and had forgotten most of the supporting characters' names. I had to read S2 episode recaps to get caught up before watching S3.

JimC and CusBlues like this.
  22. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Hell, I even fogot the one guy was whacked on the head at the end of Season 2. I had to go back and watch the last two shows to remember what was going on.

JimC likes this.
  23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'm partway through Season 3 now. What the hell happened to this show? Part of the problem is like a romantic plot line that has nowhere to go once the characters have actually gotten together, the show has lost most of its momentum and interest now that Underwood is actually president. Beyond that it seems like a totally different team of writers has taken over (I haven't checked it that's true). I'm debating whether to continue to the end. . .

Clark V Kauffman and JimC like this.
  24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I revised the title of the thread to caution that it may contain current season spoilers.

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think that was unavoidable. It takes a lot more scheming and backstabbing to get into office, especially the way the Underwoods did it, then it does once you've achieved the pinnacle of becoming president.

As such, S3 focused on a different dynamic and an interesting one IMO. The gradual disintegration of team Underwood and a shifting of the balance of power towards Claire Underwood. I'm pretty sure this was designed to set up the next season where Claire will turn on Frank and may actively campaign against him, and given that she's most likely pregnant, it will surely add to the pyrotechnics in S4.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.