The Great USB cable debate poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mindblanking, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

You're preaching to the choir, as I'm sure you're well aware.

2. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Video and audio.

Audio requires a small fraction of the amount data as required by video.

**Oops, I forgot that mystical part of audio. :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Vidiot likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there are a lot of people here with the choir from the church down the road apiece.

My point is that data that holds video and data that holds audio are extremely similar, and a flaw that will affect one will also affect the other. If anything, I think the video files are far more fragile because they're significantly larger and more complex.

norman_frappe likes this.
  4. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Heavens to Betsy.

All these years I had tended to pay the closest attention to what those who actually earn(ed) a living - creating, testing and working with this stuff had to say.

Silly me.

The next time I would like to learn about brain surgery, I will consult my barber.

Rolltide likes this.
  5. Benefactor

But I bet your barber is a true artist...he probably knows more about brain surgery than you give him credit for.

6. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Perhaps.

But I would sooner trust those pesky "close-minded" engineers when it comes to other things - as in the people who do not wish upon a star when the decision arises as to what value resistor or what diode to use in a given circuit.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah but you said the carbon was an improvement over your stock cable.

8. Benefactor

http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_usb.html
    What does "darker sounding", and "reduction in hash and grain" mean (aside from the fact that you're gonna cough up $1000+ for a USB cable).

9. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Wait .. I want a 'darker sounding' cable for my Black Sabbath FLACs ! What would be the best 'bright, happy' cable for when I am in the mood for The Carpenters?

Rolltide and paddycook like this.
  10. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Hmmm. I thought those were supposed to be the very people who earned a living by designing and building seriously over-priced products for the gullible.

showtaper likes this.
  11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

ditto. This is total balony, improvement in stereo image, grain and harshness, darker sounding etc...
    Now, let me just confirm, we are talking about solely swapping out USB cables right??
    If so, this thread should be deleted. Good god above.

EDIT:
    World has gone crazy. Here is a quote from that link above:
    "
    [​IMG]

The USB Silverplus is a flexible white cable that’s available in a wide variety of lengths. Chord say it uses silver plated conductors and that they have used three layers of screening. We find this cable to be extremely impressive sounding, it’s a very substantial improvement over standard USB cables in pretty much every respect, the first thing noticed is the extra detail and transient attack, but it also has a very well resolved and extended low frequencies. Scale, solidity and refinement are all words that come to mind to describe this cable, and we cannot recommend it highly enough given its reasonable pricing.

Give me a spell. This is audiophile snake oil 101, and part of the reason studio types are just a tad wary of audiophiles.

jjjos and paddycook like this.
  12. Benefactor

I'm going to go combust some "hash and grain", and contemplate how the USB cables in my home entertainment system sound.

Rolltide likes this.
  13. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Hey Vidiot, sorry if there was any mis-understanding, but my analogy was for video signals compared to home audio signals (and I was thinking over carriers like 75 ohm coax). I wasn't referencing anything related to USB or the audio stream in audio/video files in the text you quoted.

14. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Something something AXE Body Spray something something $1000 USB Cables!
    HAHAHAHA!

Rolltide and russk like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's all data, and the bits are either there or they're not. There are bad things that can happen with digital data, particularly over long lengths (like over 100 meters), but those are measurable and you can instantly see what the flaws are.

jjjos, showtaper and GuildX700 like this.
  16. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

This is my first time checking in to this thread since 6 pages ago. I see a bunch of things about artists and hard science versus soft science, and I don't understand why. I also see nobody has taken me up on my proposal to break down the discussion.

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

No I said the pearl was an improvement over a beat up two year old cable. Couldn't hear a difference between the 30.00 cable and 120.00 cable

18. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

Mwaaa haa. What a bunch of poo poo. Steve Jobs did not create the iPhone. He just said to the engineers "Guys do your thing with technology, but can you please make it shiny and chromy?" They went out and did that and who gets the credit?

Who need facts when you can use your artistic license?

19. nahoo

nahoo New Member

:)
    I wonder how many of there people claiming digital is 1 and 0 and either this 1 and 0 get there or not are electrical engineer or wannabe scientist...

I would be one of these wannabes, and never claimed such things (actually I said I an skeptical that two USB cables make a difference), as to do that I would need the numbers backing the assertion.

After expending two years learning math , electromagnetics and signal transmission theory, I an pretty sure that two cables are not the same and TV satellite transmission is not as an USB transmission (there is no physical connection)...

Still companies claiming great cables should prove it by giving ber or any other data. The fact that they don't tells already a lot.

20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

2 years, wow.... just wow.

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Yup....."IF" it had extended low frequencies that should be easy to prove. Show me the proof.

22. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I just don't care about "consumer crap", period. Fad gadgets are for the common hoi poloi. I use Apple's professional hardware. They make the best machines for audio and video work. I make money with them.

Even if I didn't, I would at least acknowledge the intuitive design philosophy of their products.

The point that was being made is that the typical EE-type mentality cannot easily "think outside the box" and usually have very little understanding of aesthetics and design.

I'm fine with that mentality. Those types of people are necessary for building and fixing stuff. They make sure the "trains run on time". They serve a utilitarian, practical function. Like a garbageman or mechanic. They are "book smart", but are usually dull and less than enchanting when it comes being creative and spontaneous.

I'd rather be with the poets, artists and musicians. Their lives are much more interesting and complex.

They also get laid more. :D

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I've worked with both and in my experience, that's not true. People are people and some of the brightest and most engaging came from industries you appear to denigrate.

I tend not to bracket people and take them for who they are, not what I think they're going to be like because of what they do. Better return that way in the long run. That's as true for a systems architect as it is for an actor or a professional musician or a medical consultant , and it's been my good fortune to have known several of each.

24. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

I have absolutely no idea

scobb likes this.
  25. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

If a cable of any kind decreases hash, how am I going to really dig the Floyd..?

tim185, russk, jjjos and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.