Best sounding turntable you ever heard?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thommo

thommo Senior Member

I probably need to add a Rega P9 with Dynavector dv17 to my list, as that was what Cosmo used at the Classic Album Sunday I went to. Sounded amazing, but there's every chance it was the setting, people, occasion and ceremony, so I can't for sure say if it would actually be more enjoyable to me than that other set up I hold up as the best I've heard.

Enjoyability trumps every other consideration in my book.

timztunz likes this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Never rated the P9 that highly when I have heard it. Now replaced by Rp10 which I have not heard. Lot of other factors could account for it's perceived performance. Also has lack of flexibility in terms of choosing arms and thence cartridges.

thommo likes this.
  3. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Entirely possible, especially in the setting I experienced it, hence my caveats. :thumbsup:

4. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Thorens td 124, but I haven't heard many others

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I had not heard of the Kore either, but this post made me look it up - a cheaper alternative to the Keel.

http://www.cymbiosis.com/cymbiosis-blog/cymbiosis-presents-the-linn-kore

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Contrary to indicated by Cymbiosis the Audioflat Rubikon is no longer in production. The two owners couldn't make it work as a (part time) business. I guess this new Linn product fills the gap but it looks like they may have just cut costs by more efficient engineering design requiring less complex machining.

http://audioflat.co.uk/index.htm

http://audioflat.co.uk/rubikon.htm

7. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

The Radikal is a BIG upgrade to the TT. I went from a Valhalla...which wasn't bad, BUT not in anyway comparable to the Radikal in SQ. The Radikal brings out a LOT more detail from the grooves than any other upgrade I have done on the TT. The cartridge I am using currently is a Benz Ruby 2...which while very good is probably going to be the next thing that I upgrade ( probably going to go for either a new Benz ( IF the company comes back to life) or failing that a Lyra.). The Keel is a great upgrade, but not I suspect as much as the Radikal.

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Do you live in the States - how much was the Radikal ballpark? I have Lingo 2.

9. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I'm in the US. As you can see from my avatar, I'm pretty close to you in S.CAlif. The Radikal D lists for about $4300- with the Dynamik power supply...( which is the current version). I think it would be a BIG step up over the Lingo 2.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    chacha likes this.
  10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Would love to hear one some time. Linn is pricing these upgrades way out of my reach at this point unfortunately. How would you describe the improvement?

11. Joe P.

Joe P. Forum Resident

In three (price) leagues I vividly remember a few great and musical turntables:

"Affordable":
    Project 6Perspex (subplatter), with Funkfirm mat and Grado's wooden cartridge Sonata

Expensive:
    47 Labs Koma + Myabi cart + 47 Labs Phonocube

Crazy:
    Audio Note TT Three (cartrigde also AN, forgot which one)

jusbe likes this.
  12. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

LP12, but I haven't heard a lot ot Tts. Mine hasn't had any mods for a long time.

13. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

TechDAS - Air Force One.....Stunning!

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

You could have the best TT in the world costing millions but a crap pressing will still sound crap!

timztunz likes this.
  15. Guy St.Pierre

Guy St.Pierre Well-Known Member

The best I've heard so far is my Garrard 301, open plinth, with Graham 2.2 arm and Clearaudio Melody cartridge. Just something about that idler sound that just pulls you into the music and won't let go!

16. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Remembering that I went from the Valhalla straight to the Radikal D...and not from a Lingo. The change was very evident in the overall increase of the sound stage, quieter groove noise and slightly more air around instruments. One of my a'phile friends summed it up...far more like listening to the master tape. A more relaxed presentation all around.

17. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

This makes me feel how far behind it all I am now. Radikal D??? My last was the Cirkus bearing. :D

18. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

But this is why I really like the LP12....one can get off the train at any point and get back on in the future, as funds allow. So, even though your last upgrade was the Cirkus ( which BTW, I also did along with the new Kore
    subchassis, which I think is a great upgrade too) you can bring your current table up to today's standard IF you so desire. You cannot say that about most TT's or audio gear in general.

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Actually you can do more to get lemonade out of a lemon in the vinyl world than you can with digital media. That is one of the many advantages to vinyl playback,. Lot's of room to color the sound.

20. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Absolutely. At the point I got off the train, I considerd I was so well into diminishing returns it was the best thing to do. (+ I'm not rich:) ) Plus, I was listening to a lot more CD, and have a good player for that. I still love my LP12 and have it set up every year to 18 months.

21. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

mine....lol. But to be fair I clean records and have nice associated gear>
    Only 2 things I want to out live me, are my wife and my turntable.

sean

22. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Not a fair question due to the fact that, unless someone heard a turntable in their house with their system, they can't tell you how that "table" sounded, only that the entire "system" with a that particular turntable in it sounded great. That's why reviewers and smart buyers actually get the table into their own system to hear the differences. That being said, the best turntable that I ever heard is my own. Scoutmaster from VPI with signature 9T arm, Stainless Steel clamp with ball bearing isolation on a wall mounted platform using the new phoenix roadrunner and Eagle speed controller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.