Physical Graffiti vinyl reissue quality thread - defects/distortion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

And we have other people saying theirs are perfect. That's what I meant about the normal variance of pressings. You and I, my friend, need replacements because our copies are futzed up!

2. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Received my replacement from Amazon today. Things were going mostly good until side 3...then a slew of intermittant non-fill "ripping" distortion sounds randomly : (

Ugh...maybe dr rhino will get back to me. This is really disappointing for a set I paid $119 for and that is pressed by Pallas

3. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Actually it is more than 30000. At least in the case of IV. Here in Finland I got a non numbered edition and first thought that it was a defect in the lithograp, but I was wrong.
    I contacted the label and they confirmed there are also non numberd versions of IV out there. It can be identified by the hype sticker. It doesn't say "numbered" on the ones we have here in Finland. But then when I went on a business trip to Germany there where numbered editions in stores and the hype sticker stated "numbered edition" or something similiar. I was tempted to get that because I have framed my lithos so I am a little annoyed by the fact that IV is missing the numbering. I was able to resist, but now I regret it! :D

4. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Not yet find the time to play they, but visually my Optimal vinyl from the 3LP Deluxe Edition set are flawless!
    No issues to report also for cover, inners and insert.
    Bought by Amazon.it

5. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

The EU Optimal pressing printed inner sleeves allow enough space to have polylined sleeves inside and still get everything in the jacket easily....

Now people at GZ, please buy one for inspection and do the same for your pressings in the future, because your inner sleeves are a disaster!

musicjunky likes this.
  6. gstring

gstring Active Member

:)I got the Deluxe vinyl set. Optimal EU pressings.

The spindle hole on the Companion is oversized but seems to play OK and not move around maybe due to the 180g weight.

Side 3 has noticeable crackles especially on the introduction to the last track Ten Years Gone. No visual sign of anything wrong so I think its pressed in.

All the vinyl surfaces look clean and unmarked.

All flat enough unlike some horrors I had with the LZI and LZIII remasters vinyl, in fact they look a bit warped when held in my hands but flat on the platter, strange!

Think I will get a replacement and see if any improvement, otherwise I can live with it! I'm a pragmatic perfectionist :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  7. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I used to be too, but with today's vinyl I've had to let something not so perfect be sufficient enough. Otherwise I would have driven my self crazy.
    In almost every new vinyl I buy there is something to complain about. But for example I won't lose sleep over slight warping and dishing any more.
    Thanks to my incredible Michelin record clamp!

Vinyl and perfectionism is a bad match! :D

Sorry for OT! :(

gstring likes this.
  8. Don't worry. You will :tiphat:

tmtomh likes this.
  9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I forgot to mention this in my earlier posts. I had the same thing on all three LP's in the first Super Deluxe Box I received...spindle holes all oversized. That was in addition to the noisy vinyl, scratches etc. Received my replacements yesterday and they are much, much better.

10. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I think after a few play-throughs and some of the static clears from PG and even from my copy IV, the IGD decreases noticeably.

tmtomh and Ben Adams like this.
  11. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

I reckon you ought to persevere in the search for a good copy ,I don't mean to gloat , but , mine is perfect. Also from a UK high street...

musicjunky likes this.
  12. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

I pre-ordered from Amazon Canada for about a $5 discount.
    It is the P-USA version.
    Side 3 has a low whoosh heard from the beginning and between songs.
    It was also ever so slightly out of round and slightly inner warped.

Record 1 was perfect.

I didn't hear any IGD.

Sound quality is great, as good as it could be.

I noticed on a few songs that John Paul Jones must have played a low quality bass
    or amp or both, because his tone sounds cheap and boxy.

Amazon Canada was nice enough to send another copy, and pay for the return shipping
    of the 1st one.

13. Where, exactly, are you hearing the 'cheap and boxy' bass?

14. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

1st 3 songs, but mostly Custard Pie

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Just to compare notes with you - my first copy (Pallas for US) had the exact same issue. The fade in to "Bron-Yr-Aur" was completely ruined by this "whoosh." Replacement is fine.

16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I got my HOTH replacement LPs... the new one is also US Pallas but is distortion free so the pressing plant is no longer the limiting factor, just early pressings

Ben Adams and johnny q like this.
  17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Playing my P-USA record right now. Just got it this afternoon. All seems perfect.

I think this pressing has the best sounding version of "Bron-Yr-Aur" ever. Very very nice on mine. The fading note is excellent.

johnny q likes this.
  18. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Even on the original pressings I always thought that Custard Pie could have been recorded better. It's night and day when The Rover kicks in. All that bass and kick drum that's so weak in Custard Pie shows up in The Rover. I wish Custard Pie was recorded better. but maybe that's what Jimmy wanted so who am I to complain? Still a great track.

19. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Are your clicks at the very end of the companion disk on In My Time of Dying?

I spoke to soon about mine being perfect because mine has clicks at the very end (which sucks because it is only plants vocals) and I see no scratch at all where the click is. Weird.

20. Ben Adams

I just have the 2xLP version, no bonus disc. But still, I do have the repetitive clicks with no hint of scratches on either Side 1 or Side 2.

21. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I played the click several times and that seemed to make it quieter.

22. Ben Adams

That'd be what MoFi used to call "dehorning." They always recommended that a record get played several times, which would polish away pressing debris still somehow attached in the grooves.

23. DPM

DPM Senior Member

All of these reported problems with the Physical Graffiti vinyl are bumming me out. This is my favorite Led Zeppelin album, and I wanted to splurge for the deluxe package. The reports of non-fill and inner groove problems make me hesitant.

Why, oh why, can't we get Zeppelin on SACD?

24. Got my deluxe. No issues.

I'm so glad I grew up buying records before the Internet, before everyone shared every pop click and noise they didn't understand.

25. inperson

inperson Senior Member

But don't let all us anal types here keep you from getting it. This is the Steve Hoffman forum and many people here are not normal. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.