4 new SHM-SACD and SHM-CD titles announced for Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Who is "us"? I don't want mini-LPs. Give me jewel cases. (And cut a few more bucks off ;)).

Shvartze Shabbos, MC Rag and ricks like this.
  2. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I want one of these SHM-SACDs. Which one is recommended overall?

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Don't forget obis. ;)

4. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Good point, they can keep OBIs as well.:righton:

eelkiller likes this.
  5. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Just received the full set

Nice packaging indeed :) and OBI :)

They say on ' Tape Research ' : Abbey Road Studios
    FLat transferred from UK analogue Master tape

6. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Very happy these were released... Ricochet sounds very good, now on to Stratosfear.

MC Rag likes this.
  7. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

I listened to Ricochet Phaedra and Stratosfear
    Phaedra and Startosfear are fantastic, soundstage is wide open, lot of details, very deep and of course crankable and analog
    Maybe RIcochet sound a bit less open, but no fear, it s very detailed as well and crankable.
    Will spin Rubycon later

Highly recommended, this music is good those shm sacd are pretty remarkable

8. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I hope sales go well and soon enough we might get Encore, Cyclone, Force Majeure and Tangram as the next batch of 4 Virgin era TD SHMs. And then of course Exit, White Eagle, Logos and Hyperborea. That would sound as a good plan. 3 batches of 4 discs. Fingers crossed.

melkor_morgoth likes this.
  9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My (sound) ranking compared to the originals. The first 3 are in my "outstanding" list

1. Rubyon
    2. Stratosfear
    3. Phaedra
    4. Ricochet

10. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

Listening to Rubycon SHM-SACD right now - just phenomenal!

11. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Agreed. I prefer the SHM-SACD over all other digital versions including the nice sounding original blue face CD mastering.

For fans of the album or TD in general this new disc is for the ages. Hopefully no one will ever again spend big money on the vile sounding 2002 EMI Rubicon SACD.

For me it's now on to Stratosfear will post my thoughts after I'm able to do the compares.

12. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

How about your rating as favorite title?

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Phaedra
    Stratosfear
    Rubyon
    Ricochet

14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Thanks Claus!

15. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

I'm really torn between what to buy. Currently don't have a device to play the SACDs, but don't want to spend what amounts to a few dollars less for the CD versions...

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Eliminating SACD "Thin Sound" is not possible with all gear, since you only can handle Redbook go for the CD's. No guarantee if you do "upgrade" to SACD capable gear they will even sound better. Took me a lot of time + effort gaining knowledge not to mention money years back to eliminate SACD "thin sound".

melkor_morgoth likes this.
  17. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thin sound from SACDs?
    SACD delivers a fatter sound compared to CDs.

Some think SACDs delivers a "thinner" sound in lower mid range/bass area compared to CDs. But that's not right, what your hear from CDs are resonances and "distortion"that creates a feeling of more bass.

18. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

About "thin" vs "fat" sound;
    Listen to Karen Carpenters voice on the SHM-SACD of Singles 1969-73 and compared that voice to any CD version out there :)

19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

It has to do with Analog Bass Management limitations. From the tone of your post it appears you have been lucky enough to have gear that was/is not subject to SACD "thin sound". To be clear it is a hardware based issue [shortcoming] with a great deal of gear [transport, AMP's or receivers] past, present and I'm sure future it has nothing to do with the Scarletbook specs. In addition DSD-PCM conversion is also another issue for many. For those than can pass DSD from the transport to the AMP and where the AMP does not need to convert to PCM then no issues. With CD's none of that nonsense [yes, that is what it is to the average person nonsense] takes place and in many cases sound will be better. Once again you have the knowledge and uber expensive gear, the average person and average forum member is not as privileged as yourself.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

As mentioned in my post; I do not have the problem myself but as mentioned I needed to obtain knowledge and hardware to get the sound I wanted from SACD's.
    I also will never purchase or listen to the disc you mentioned as I still have a tiny amount of street cred left in my old neighborhood. Just a joke so calm down folks...

MC Rag likes this.
  21. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Sorry, but I can't agree with your statement...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    ricks likes this.
  22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I'd love to hear what SH would have to say on the matter but isn't the feeling of more bass in actuality more bass and the feeling of less bass in actuality less bass :)

23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Many have tuned their system to CD sound, and once SACD appear in their system they have to down-tune it to get it sound right.

As a HiFi freak I know a lot about this issue. In the early days of digital one had to tune the system to get around the shortcomings of CD technology, like fat and warm tube amps in the system to balance out thin and cold CD sound. :)

24. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Higher digital resolution always creates a more natural fatter sound, all other things equal. Imo.

Listen to many of those jazz SHM-SACDs (or AP jazz SACDs) and compare to CD versions, the instruments nearly always has more body to it.

25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Here is a classic example of a feel of lots of bass: Cheap 3-way floor standing speakers that creates lots of resonances in the lower area. Some takes this for bass. But some of the "bass" you hear is not bass, it's distortion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.